Define flushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Define flushing

When people talk about flushing, are they talking about running 3 times the amount of water then the size of the pot ie. if you plant is in a 3 gal. pot, you flush with 9 gal. of water? Or are they talking about just watering your plants without any nutes? Inquiring minds want to know.

Hey kingfish if you ask Google she'll give you this answer..this of course is a copy and paste. Flushing is the technique of ceasing to provide nutrients to a cannabis plant and instead only applying water. ... Ceasing to provide additional nutrients forces the plant to utilize its stored nutrients during its final week of growth. Synthetic growers know to use large sums of water till the water is clear with out any color left except for translucent clear water ...I grow with a dry organic amendment so I just water and there's no need to flish..sorry don't know if this any help.

Comment

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Greengringo I always thought of flushing as something you did at the end of the grow and you want to get rid of all the build up nutrients or because you want to correct a problem with nutes. ie 9 gal through a 3 gal. pot. But what I'm reading in some of the post is that some refer to just plain watering as flushing. I get easily confused.
      I may be wrong. Which wouldn't be the first time.

That is confusing. Flushing at the end for me means plain water. Flushing during growing I consider removing the built up salts either by running lots of water through the plant or using a flushing agent.

I've not used nutrients except fish emulsion, molasses, and worm castings on the last 3 plants I have atm. I started with coast of Maine soil. Which is really really good. But to fill a 20 gallon cloth pot costs about $70.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Flushing is imo just what you said. Used to correct issues or remove excess salts. I dont subscribe to the 3x pot size idea, but i do coco and hydro so it doesnt take as much to do a flush. A plain water watering is not the same because of what the intent is. For flushing, it is to remove salts. For plain watering, you are just trying to add moisture. In coco, i dont do any plain watering as doing so can actually cause deficiencies.

Comment

• Spidermite
        Spidermite commented
        Editing a comment
        In the 3 plants in the Coast of Maine soil I never watered to runoff and for the most part just used ph'd water.

My thoughts on flushing ...IS so confusing because of all the self researching people figured out by flushing with large sums of water does remove salt build up by force salts out of your plant..this flushing plants is more for synthetic users..there other reasons why you could flush but I'm to stoned right now..to go through all the science.

Comment

To me flushing and watering are two totally different things. Watering is giving your plants plain water without nutes and flushing is trying to get rid of buildup nutes.

Comment

• Spidermite
          Spidermite commented
          Editing a comment
          That would make to much sense. Lol Flushing should just be used as the definition of using water to help remove heavy salt build up.

End stage watering is just watering without nutrients most importantly nitrogen.

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          i think we could categorize those two different things into 1. flushing roots (what you said 3x volume) and 2. flushing a plant (triggering senescence by giving only water)

With my grow now I don't even ph the water and I'm growing in coco..lol

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          Either you have slightly acidic water or have gotten real lucky, or are using nutes that have ph buffers in them. Hope you dont have issues later on.

Plus I'm thinking...the reason why people have so many issues with there grow is because of the lack of dissolved oxygen in there water and air stones only is a band aid not a solution..foe shoe.

Comment

• Tersky
          Tersky commented
          Editing a comment
          I must be stoned cause i cant figure out what this comment means. How are air stones a band aid? IMO they are a necessity in hydro but fail to see the relevance of them in coco and soil. And what does this have to do with flushing?

Nothing at all .

Comment

It takes the handle and pushes it down my definition of flushing. OMG
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• kingfish
            kingfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Too funny SoOrbudgal. Kind of like my Avatar. LOL

Well i flushed all my plants towards harvest with water and molasses. And during this current grow i had to do a high volume, ph water flush, with a clearing solution(like 6+gals of water) to correct a serious pH problem. So i guess their both flushes..and accomplish pretty much the same thing. one takes weeks and the other takes 25 minutes lol.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Comment

Still not equaling a dollar so here’s my 2 cents....flushing ,as I have read, is to flood the soil with large amounts of plain water to wash away any buildup of nutrients, salt, or chemically combined elements from residual remains or excesses. It’s this process that nearly eliminates those compounds from the soil that the plants roots extract their “food” from. In a living plant, the feeding process is always in a state of flux where it is drawing nutes up from the surrounding root.

consider an escalator in a building...one usually going up, the other usually going down. These are xylem and Phloem in plant terms, the up and down veins thru the plants. If there a people on it (nutrients etc.) they make it to the top and converted to food etc.. However ....when No one is on the escalator it still runs but all of the people are gone.

with the flooding, the compounds are flushed away from the soil, with plain water feed, the plant thrives on moisture but....lacking nutrients, it utilizes stored Compounds in it leaves and they begin to reduce levels of built up elements within the plant until. A) harvest or B) nutrients are re-stored to the mix

$ .98 cents + $ .02 cents = $1.00. Bingo 😉

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              Great explanation.

I do not FINAL FLUSH my plants for flavor, I leech salts and remaining nutrients from the coco for two weeks+ as I intend to reuse it and find it best to do this with the old plant still in the pot.
            I also like the color change in plants and though it is a sign of nutrient deficiency a piece in the back of my mind likes the fact that I'm depleting these things from my final product. Starting with mobile nutrient, like nitrogen being depleted from the lower branches, next what immobile nutrients that can go starts to fad, This is a benefit of water only for end of life.

I would like to add this has got some conflicting information between the last thread about "flushing for flavor" and this one. I do not "final flush" to improve flavor! that is what carbohydrates and microbials are for, how you get them is your business.

Weather its a "emergency flush" or a "final flush" it has the same purpose, to removing nutrient and salt buildup so call it a a tomato or Tomatoe it's the same thing.

Lastly most soil growers have been giving just water all along so there is nothing to flush unless you have added salt based fertilizers or have a sick plant. People in soil do not need to flush, It is a coco/hydroponic thing. Only for salt based nutrient users that need to do this so don't get confused

$1.02😆
            Last edited by Mr.furley; 12-01-2019, 12:53 PM.
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

It would seem a lot of comments are based on the thinking of flush as a final process at the end of the grow. the interpretation with the the end result ...is a requirement. As you say, flavor comes from flush to remove any chemical buildup but enhanced via microbes and carbs. And they react a bit differently in different kinds of media. For super soils, I used it exclusively to feed microbes in the soil..in fact flush would wash them all away...overwatering would present a big problem. Yet, conventional soils almost beg to have a 20% runoff.

Mr.furley, got change for a dime ? We may need it 😆

Comment

With the use of salt based nutrient there becomes a risk of build up when using improper watering techniques and it is not common practice to add a flushing agent as part of your regiment which increases the problem.

My best example: I have 5-5 gallon pots 60/40 mix with flowering plants at the proper Temp and humidity, each pot gets 1.25 gallons of water totaling 7 gallons of water each watering and after runoff I have 2 gallons total of clear waste water. My waste water is the same color going in as the water coming out, I use a flushing agent(sladgehammer) ever 6th watering, (feed, water, feed, water, feed, flushing and repeat) with this practice I have a rare need to do an emergency flush for anything because I don't let the salt buildup up in my medium. At the end of the grow every nutrient in use drops off from week five till week seven with a end of life watering/leeching/flushing for a couple weeks to "clean" my coco.

Most Nute company want to sell you more because it's no bother to them if you dump it down the drain in one form or another. From what I've seen plants can still survive on stored nutrients for 4+ weeks of water only, don't try this peeps Iv got nothing better to do then kill plants and grow small yields.

So technically I flushed every other watering and have for a long time, I've tried alternate watering methods, schedules, strengths of nutrients, watering practices and in my grow space this is what works best.

The end goal is healthy plants and maximum Harvest per your space.

Farmall

Click image for larger version

Name:	f38764450be08830fd859613f0be787f.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	353946
                You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X