Supplemental UVB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supplemental UVB

Hello My Friends, 3 weeks into in first indoor. I was at 6 nodes, so i quad-lined last night, and shes still alive this morning, lol. anyways, i have been reading about UV light, and how it really improves the quality of the buds. my grow light doesn't produce UV. so i was wondering, does anyone out here use a supplemental UVB light during the last few weeks of flowering, and does it really make a difference?

johnb1963 I have 2 4' solacure UV-B tubes that I had used a while ago.... I cant say that there was a huge difference in the crop but I will say that the yields were huge and the material was potent and I started using them about 4 weeks into flower. Sounds like they did something but ???

The hard part for me is that the mention of STAYING OUT of the area when the lamps are on does limit me in the 12/12 window to do any maintenance, cleaning, watering.... So, being a chicken shit, I do stay away from stuff I am not supposed to be near. I am living long, despite some of the odd ball exposures I've lived through, in reasonably good shape, and have plans to keep that going so I am not risking something now...Of course, THAT'S ME and does not fully answer your question.

One other time I used them and had a timer malfunction ( I will never EVER use cheap mechanical timers again) and discovered the lamps had been on 24 hours a day for about 4 days. the stems and stalks turned beet red. The buds were sticky as all can imagine and the end results were exceptional.

IS THAT due to: the lamps, dumb luck, good genes, smart grow skills , Go to the solacure web pages and read a few things there so you might be informed enough to make an educated guess because despite claims of greatness... You need to be able to justify that choice for you. Some times in this day and age, we assume the technology can put us leaps and bounds ahead.

If thats the case, look at the bullet proof windows on Tesla's new pickup truck !

Comment

It’s a well known fact that THC is a protective oil that the plants product in response to UV. The right amount of UV light will increase THC at the expense of yield.
      I have been supplementing UV for over a year now and am very happy with the results.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep....same hangers too. They are convenient

The article I read says to only use the Uber light during the last two weeks, and one hour at a time twice during the light cycle. So that should affect the yield? What type of iv light are you using.

Comment

manufacturer recommends 15 min on and 2 hours off during lights on.

Comment

UVA and UVB are both beneficial and their benefits can be seen from seedling to harvest. What’s not fully understood is just how much is needed and for how long during a 24h light cycle.
        Check out the YouTube channel “Migro”. He covered some good info on UV bulbs/lights over 2 or 3 videos. It’s good info to start with.
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

I’ve done a lot of reading as well and pulled the trigger on 2 of these. They are 24 inch lamps. Use “FB15” for an extra 15 percent off (at least it worked for me).

2x4 AC Infinity tent
          Timber 3VL (320 watt from the wall. (previous HID grower)
          FFOF Soil grower, General Hydro Flora Series nutes
          AC Infinity fans (exhaust and oscillating pole fans)

Comment

The Maximum Yield article reads like a chemistry text book and was really informative. I haven’t read the other link yet... I have to wait for my brain to cool down but did they mention any starting or use times beside flowering and trichome development?

Comment

Farmall Here’s some info I found @ http://vanessa-nielsen.com/cannabis-plants-uv-light/ Her education and background give her some credibility for the information.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4759DB52-33F0-4778-AAF1-47DAE66A5D22.jpeg
Views:	1011
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	352177
              There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
              1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
              2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
              3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

YYCannabis Gee thank you for the article. It raises several questions for me in that the entourage effects as we know them are a big benefit and by altering that fulcrum in our experimental ‘see-saw’ I wonder where it all winds up. So many claims of data but I can’t see the line in the sand anymore

Comment

• YYCannabis
                  YYCannabis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grow the best you can with what you got 😉

The experiment done in the 80’s showed uv increased THC and had no effect on CBD. I would like to see the reference study showing UV decreases CBD. I don’t believe that to be true. Seems like just misinterpreted data to me.

Comment

YYCannabis pointed out to check out her credibility and she’s got credibility and even if here data is skewed, there is a lot of backup support she provides to justify her report. Problem is, that is not my forte and like 99% of us here, I started to learn by relying on information you all have so graciously provided and extrapolated it to provide success.

funny story about my VERY rural thinking mother in law. Back in the 1930’s she fell thru a loft in a barn, the doctors THEN wanted to do some procedure ( sounded like witch doctor shit to me) anyway, everytime she has issues with that injury 78 years later...she wonders why they just don’t do that same thing. My reply to her is...’ IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IN 78 YEARS THERE HAS BEEN A SMALL CHANGE IN MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY?’... damn if she will not believe me

Comment

• Farmall
                    Farmall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Toker1 she has a web page and a blog on her research. I've read quite a bit of it and I wouldn't say I take each word as gospel BUT, I know way too many individuals with opinions where there is nothing to back up the statements. No doubt her interpretation is subject to scrutiny even if her data is skewed, as I had mentioned. I would have a tendency to accept those statements more over people I know who usually regurgitate commonly accepted practices. So, its in the back of my head if I needed to make a decision but regardless, I still more confused than before

• YYCannabis
                    YYCannabis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This type of research will continue to evolve for several years. The best a person can do *now* is use the info and technology that is most recent.

Chances are that this time next year will be newer info, newer research, and newer tech. If a person is waiting to hear a definitive answer of “use XX minutes of YY amount of UVB every hour of lights on cycle” to jump into UVA/B then they will never get into it . LOL

• Toker1
                    Toker1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m with that. Let’s see the study where the information is being developed from. I read the other study that said cbd was not effected by UV and thc was. These guys put in lots of work to develop the information. Just curious to know how someone else says different. More or less, I would like to know why.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X