Rain water cleanliness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain water cleanliness

Is rain water sterile or sanitary when it comes down? I'm talking germ wise. I'm not talking about particulate matter and other nasties because that would answer the question. You can't have sterile or sanitary product with often large amounts of particulate matter. Just germs. Maybe bacteria, too.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

I myself would not call rain water sanitary! But I live where there are tornadoes, and they will go over water (ponds, lakes, tanks) and suck it up! Whatever went up will come down somewhere, including the fish etc. that were sucked up with the water, yes I have seen it rain fish! Dogs and cats no,,,

Comment

Cisterns can provide safe water for many uses, but do not assume rainwater is safe to drink. Learn more about safely collecting and using rainwater.

Sounds like boiling the water would ensure germ free rain water. From what I've read, it's not the rain drops from the sky that can be contaminated. It's when the rain drops roll down roofs and pipes that it can pick up parasites and germs.

Comment

• PRIMO
        PRIMO commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't have a black car, huh?

the plants love rain water. I use rain water every summer for my indoor plants. Mother nature has been watering plants with rainwater for millions of years. I wouldn't drink though lol.

Comment

• stump
        stump commented
        Editing a comment
        ya I am from the north. Ph of the rain is around 6.2 or so here. It seem when I let the water sit for a spell it rises a touch though. I have a rubber roof and use rain water every summer with good results. my well water seems about the same ph. as the rain so I really don't see different results with either one to be honest.

• lafnian1990
        lafnian1990 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not all rainwater is good.

• AngelaLifman
        AngelaLifman commented
        Editing a comment
        Nowadays, one cannot be sure that rainwater will be safe. Many rivers and lakes are now polluted by human activities. I just recently read about water pollution. Here on this site https://envrexperts.com/free-essays/water-pollution/ if you are interested in the topic. So sometimes it is better not to get into the rain or water the plants with it. Otherwise, you can get into trouble.
        Last edited by AngelaLifman; 06-30-2021, 09:21 AM.

kingfish my thoughts exactly

Comment

You (I) would have to think BGS either didn't get evaporated with water or was killed in the whole evap, rain, evap, rain, thing. Else, maybe, we'd all be catching cold all the time. And the plague. That's worse than a cold.
        Rain water has been collected and stored in cisterns for a long time. Right from the sky, and directed to storage. Dismissing pollution and water barrels from 5,000 years ago, the water that came down was drinkable on the surface it fell. The cisterns kept water good for storage without going bad. Maybe that's part of the answer? Water that can be stored is pretty clean or it would get bad pretty quick?
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
          PeterMatanzas commented
          Editing a comment
          If you buy water in a bottle at the grocery store - the damn thing has an expiration date on it.

Gingerbeard wow that's very interesting ..maybe temp controls and vibration could prevent microbiol life to form or pantheons just starting to research rain water very interesting.. I've been walking around like a zombie for years.

Comment

I would imagine it all depends on where you live. I live in northern Alberta, Canada where let's face it, it's not exactly the most polluted place in the world. I've tested the water that's been collected in my reservoir and it's consistently pH'd at 6.7. I've looked into the issue of whether or not micro-organisms are present in the area and haven't come across anything worth crying about. I wouldn't recommend collecting water that runs off the roof or through the eavestrough as shingles are a petroleum laced product which can be collected by the water thereby contaminating it. Overall though, it keeps well, it works well, and it's free.

Comment

• YYCannabis
            YYCannabis commented
            Editing a comment
            How far north? I’m near calgary. (Not really North in Alberta terms) 😁

• Jsao32
            Jsao32 commented
            Editing a comment
            Edmonton...Not super north, but north enough. I was born and raised in Airdrie though.

I would think the drops, as they are falling, are collecting particulate from the air. So not the cleanest, but the cleanest it will ever be...until it hits the ground.

As for collecting from a rooftop or some other large surface area collection, I think it would need filtering and sterilization. Bird poop, bugs, and dust/dirt would be the concern washing down with the water collection.

I had looked into this when I did fish keeping and realized that the cost of cleaning the water @100gallons/wk was too cost prohibitive and time consuming.
          There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
          1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
          2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
          3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

There are rain roof designs to collect clean rain water at ground level..depends where you live ...storms and such.

Comment

Well here we have a lake with drainage keeping the lake filled which we use to water 80 plus acres. If you test ppm of the rain water here it is between 0 and 3. This makes it impossible to get a true ph reading. Now after the water is pulled from the lake the ppm are way higher but still well under 50. I dont know what this means as far as the drinking but it works great with plants. But at least it doesnt have flouride in it.
              You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

The original question is morphing.
                Lets say I go around and collect rainwater from puddles in a big bucket. I whip out my camping/emergency water filter and filter the rainwater. The filter would remove BGS as well as particulates, to make the water potable.
                With all that removed, is rain water still as good for plants or might the filtering remove some goodness? And what makes the water so good?
                I pulled this off a 5 second google:
                --Rainwater frees nutrients and minerals in the soil the
                plant
                needs to survive. As the soil absorbs rainwater, a film forms around soil particles, according to Bellevue College. Roots then absorb these particles in a process called diffusion. These nutrients are carried to the rest of the
                plant
                .--
                That being said, plain rain water wouldn't be good for coco since there aren't any nutrients to be absorbed like soil?

More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                3x3x6

Comment

What about melted snow? When I had Chinese Water Dragons, I asked the vet about using melted snow in my misting system. He advised against it. I wonder if his warnings don't apply to veg.

Comment

Snow grows stuff and collects particles on the ground. Something about red or pink snow? Not yellow snow. That's good for neither veg or flower.
                    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                    3x3x6

Comment

• YYCannabis
                      YYCannabis commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Snow fleas would be present.

• Gingerbeard
                      Gingerbeard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      By gum! There is such a thing! I am such a technically desert environment kind of guy. Sand fleas, yeah, I know about those.

• MDR
                      MDR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gingerbeard - perhaps. With misting systems, te main clogging culprit is usually calcium.

Rainwater is hardly sterile. But all plants in nature are watered with rainwater and everything is fine.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X