10/10 light cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10/10 light cycle

I’m curious if any experienced growers have tried using a 10/10 light cycle? I get the premise of tricking the plants into flowering in fewer calendar days, but wouldn’t the yields be smaller?

Cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Never heard of 10/10 but why would you do that? To flower faster? Seems like a waste to me unless you have a time constraint. I dont know if you meant 10/10 or 10/14 but if you meant the latter then yes.
    Certain marijuana strains take 4+ months in the flowering stage under a 12/12 light schedule! You can force them to mature faster by giving them longer night periods.

If you meant 10/10 then its probably just bs. I've never understood the idea of un-natural light times. In my mind, the plant evolved over thousands of years (dont shoot me i dont know how long cannabis has been around) to make the most of the light schedule in nature so it would make sense to me to mimic that natural light cycle. I would think by giving it an unnatural light cycle it could cause the plant stress and it might be more likely to hermie. That is pure speculation but it makes sense to me.

Comment

Look up diminishing light schedule. Plants in nature typically never get 12-12 outdoors.
      I have heard about some sativa strains producing well on a longer night schedule. I’m sure it’s strain dependent.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Tersky
        Tersky commented
        Editing a comment
        [Answer Inside!] Can I give a cannabis plant shorter light periods (near harvest) to make buds more potent?

Nebula's answer (read whole article as it has a lot more than just this):

So to answer your question, when you give the plant shorter periods of light each day, you are causing the buds to mature faster. However, because the plant is getting less light (less time to make energy with photosynthesis) each day, the buds are going to be smaller than if the plant was given the longer periods of light. Also, the plant will mature faster, and so this also reduces yields.

In my experience, here are the cases when growers benefit from giving plans shorter light periods than 12 hours during the end of the flowering stage:

- For strains that come from the equator where light levels are often near 12-12 (usually sativa plants) reducing the flowering light period to 10-14 or even 8-16 is
        sometimes needed to get the plant to mature.
        - Also for some Sativa and Haze strains, the normal flowering period is 3-4+ months, and shorter light periods can be used to "force" the buds to mature faster
        - In cases of extreme heat, sometimes the yield loss from shorter light periods is worth the reduced heat, especially if someone is just trying to get their plants to
        survive until harvest
        - Any other case where getting the plant to ripen faster outweighs the potential loss of yields, like if you knew you were moving to a new home soon

Everytime I think about this I come up with the same answer....nobody has yet to invent a timer to work outside of a 24 hour time frame!😳

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a digital timer. Programmable for 1 week periods.

• Farmall
        Farmall commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, that’s all I used. However their software is still based on a 24 hour day. But i guess it would be possible to calculate each days on or off time and in a sealed tent, a plant would never know the time anyway .... I’m not trying it though

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        My digital timer can be programmed for 1 second on offs,, like I would ever do that. It can be programmed for 7 weeks IIRC with a different schedule each day.

Maybe we need to examine and test if plants can count days.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Here is the thing, they don’t count days, but they do count hours of darkness. You can get any strain to finish faster (at the expense of yield) by dropping the daylight hours 8 per day. The plant will force an early finish.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X