Tincture with Trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tincture with Trim

I've got about 4 ounces of trim from my first grow and planning to make some tincture with it. I can't get the good ever clear here, but I did find 151 proof ever clear...they told me bacardi 151 was discontinued.
    My plan is to decarb then freeze the decarbed trim and ever clear then mix the two together and shake...leave it in the freezer for a week and shake periodically...i was thinking 2g trim/1 oz booze...does that sound like a plan??

Mild – 1g of weed to 30ml of alcohol (1oz of weed to ~850ml of alcohol)
    Medium – 1g of weed to 20ml of alcohol (1oz of weed to ~570ml of alcohol)
    Strong – 1g of weed to 10ml of alcohol (1oz of weed to ~280ml of alcohol)

Comment

• JuanHondo
      JuanHondo commented
      Editing a comment
      i'm assuming "weed" means flower...should trim be used at the same ratio or double/triple? may morning reading makes me think double or between your medium and strong recipe.

• JuanHondo
      JuanHondo commented
      Editing a comment
      actually that would be like your mild

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      Go to the top of this page and click on "Growing Basics" and put Tincture in the serch webside . you will find everything you want to know about Tincture.

thanks kingfish, i've read through most of those and others around the web...what i'm really looking for is some guidance on trim vs. flower ratio. from what I can gather trim should be substituted for flower at 2:1 or 3:1 ratios. anyone have experience making tincture from trim??

Comment

ok this is what I'm working with...100g trim and 1/2gal 151 proof ever clear

Comment

your gonna get 1/3 of the good stuff from trim than flower. Problem with making strong tincture from trim is you need a lot of alcohol to cover all the plant matter. Gonna make a weak tincture unless you evaporate away the alcohol to w/e strength tincture you want. Unless you can recover your alcohol your gonna lose a lot. I would make bubble hash or turn it into butter.
        640 watt hlg quantum board
        320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
        300 watt mars hydro sp3000
        150 watt hlg quantum board
        100 watt spider farmer led x2
        organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
        Water only i don't check ph
        6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

• Cloud
          Cloud commented
          Editing a comment
          Just a rough estimate based on my experiences with processing trim vs buds. I also have a source btw and 300ml of tincture from trim gets me 1/3 of oil i get from buds and yes i get there is tons of variables.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Cloud
          At this point, I'm only harvesting around 10 oz every 4 months, so I can't really afford to make tincture with it. When I get my harvest up to 24+ oz, then I may allow myself the luxury of making bud tincture. And try to be as scientific as I can be about the difference between the two tinctures.

Don't you just love the Source???!!!

• Cloud
          Cloud commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup yup dont know how i ever lived without a source lol

i mixed 30g trim with 12 oz ever clear after freezing both overnight...I plan to leave it in the freezer for 5 days and shake periodically. that works out to 1g/12mL...so maybe equivalent to the GWE"Mild"...we'll see what happens.

Comment

• quirk
          quirk commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked at that trim under max magnification and didn't see many trichomes my friend, so yeah, it'll be pretty mild. You might just have to add some Hawaiian punch and get drunk.

For me, dosing has been a big concern with tincture, edibles or anything eaten... had the “bad” experience once and never want to repeat it. The dosing calculators around the net will give you some clue but then it really helps to have some clue regarding the potency. I’d love to get a few lab tests just to see how close I come to reaching the plants genetic max. I did your process once that had a substantial green chlorophyll color and was pissed that it came out like that. So I strained and filtered it, put the really Christmas tree green 190 Everclear back in the freezer and forgot it for about 1 month... opened the freezer only to find that entire batch had lost the green, turned a beautiful gold and used it for another post processing job...but, that would have made a decent tincture in my opinion...in case you run into a situation like that...for what it’s worth

Comment

based on quirk's comment...and, in the name of science...I rolled up a big cone of the trim...didn't taste very good, but works just fine...reminded me of high school...so i'm hopeful the tincture will do something. i also weighed the cone first so I can back out what a reasonable dose should be...~2% of the tincture mass...i'll check the mass of a drop to figure out how many drops I should try...here's a photo of it today after 2 days in the freezer and a lot of shaking...

Comment

• quirk
            quirk commented
            Editing a comment
            I stand corrected JuanHondo. Glad to hear it's active.

today i filtered through cheesecloth and then through a coffee filter...very dark green color. my science tells me my dose should be 1/4tsp, but that seems like way too much and i'm scared to try it...

Comment

JuanHondo I always use trim to make tincture nowadays. My last batch I left soaking for 3 months in the freezer, and it's powerful. I just cram as much trim into the jar and cover with EC, shake periodically.

I'd say best to use amber dropper bottles: one bottle = approx. 900 drops. You may want to start with a lower dose and work your way up. The few times I've taken too much tincture, it was very different from the right amount, which makes for a glorious high. Too much can disorient me and make my head feel very heavy. I usually have to take a nap if I take too much, and it leaves me with a bit of a hangover.

This is what they mean when they call Cannabis bi-phasic: more isn't better. Where more Tylenol make wipe out the pain better than less Tylenol, too much tincture is not better.
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• JuanHondo
              JuanHondo commented
              Editing a comment
              can you recommend a dosage based on my recipe of 30g trim and 12 oz 151 EC? when I calculate based on the mass of one joint it's between 1/4-1/2tsp, but that seems like way too much...

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't because we don't know the % THC. Start with 10 drops. If nothing happens, next time take 15 or 20. You have to feel around to find your correct dosage, it's never the same for everyone. But they say start low and go slow. Like don't jump from 10 drops to 40 drops.

Tincture really only works for me early in the morning on an empty stomach. I usually take it around 4 in the morning, and I'm nice and relaxed when I go to work at 8. If I take it after I've eaten, I don't get high. I'm sure I'd have to take a helluva lot more on a full stomach, but I haven't played around with that. Once a day is good for me, and I vape in the afternoon.

JuanHondo dosing tinctures and edibles is always a “try and see” kind of use. It took me a year to develop a plan to try a few drops and it is so varied for everyone. Vaping a bowl of cannabis works quickly and you put it down when your at the right spot. These other methods build more and more over 30-60 minutes after you stop ingesting. You will discover the batch you made might start at 3 drops but start with one...may need 10 but once your in the ball park you can go down or up. I get that same feeling alltatup describes and had it 9 times worse once. I’ll never revisit that again.
            on the other hand, I made a 63mg per teaspoon batch of CBD oil using mct oil and one with olive oil. My sister says it had little effect as her commercial product is only 17mg but is better. That meant I had to try it and when I did, after 5 minutes a “ curtain of Cool” came over me and I knew it did something. Like one of those magicians curtains when they disappear..... The dosage calculators on line can get close but there is always a unknown variable without being able to lab test it like a Tylenol ...as ATU says.

any how, I’m sure you’ve read this but going ahead and trying it will be the best calculator you can find

Comment

Farmall and alltatup thanks a lot for the feedback. i just tried 2 drops and i really don't expect anything to happen but we'll see...i definitely have that feeling i used to get when I first dropped acid and start second guessing my decision hahaha!! i put it all into brown dropper bottles too...should i keep those in the fridge/freezer or is any dark cupboard OK? thanks again!

Comment

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                Hmmmm! So, I have been enlightened and will need to find a juice that accommodates the tincture, low sugar...if you get my drift
                Yep, that part sucks

Do you loser The speed of sublingual use by a lot?

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                I never noticed any difference.

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry, just noticed the auto-correct mistake... not saying LOSER...meant to say lose

no action from 2 drops as expected...going with 5 tonight...

Comment

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                Good luck, just a mental note... each batch comes out different. 10 drops tonight my be 20 next brew or 5...😉

• quirk
                quirk commented
                Editing a comment
                For what it's worth JH, I use 2 ml (40 drops) of flower based tincture every night 2 hours before bedtime. Your calculation of a 1/4-1/2 tsp seems spot on to me at 5 ml per/tsp.. Store in freezer.
                Last edited by quirk; 11-20-2019, 10:39 PM.

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                quirk I also take about 30-40 drops per dose, or a dropperful (which is really half a dropper).

I'm trying 10 drops tonight...im probably beeing extra cautious and i still think the proper dosage is 1/4 tsp but I dont wanna over do it...i've got a davinci IQ loaded up as a back up...

Comment

• Farmall
                Farmall commented
                Editing a comment
                JuanHondo I can't blame you for the apprehension... Until you have a known value you risk that over the edge component
                Being a light weight in terms of consumption, I always face the same thing. I have a friend in California who can sit down with a bong and its as if you turned on a vacuum cleaner. I never saw such giant rips. I just can't do that at all. So I applaud your approach

for you 40 droppers...are you still taking under the tongue or just drinking it?

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                I swallow it with a little almond milk to cut the burn; I don't notice any difference from sub-lingual.

• JuanHondo
                JuanHondo commented
                Editing a comment
                i'm gonna try that next...just took 20 drops under the tongue and I don't think 40 would work that way hahaha

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                JuanHondo Can't remember if I mentioned this before, but my experience: tincture gets me high when I have an empty stomach. If I take it after I've eaten, I don't get high. I don't know how much more I'd have to take to get high cuz I haven't experimented.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X