Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow 4: I don't know Jack....

... but I'm excited to meet him!

Started growing 3 feminized Jack Herer a little while ago and thought i would take some time to share my experience.

All 3 started from seed around beginning of September:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191108_070949.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	347943

2 are growing in a 3.5x3.5 under 315W CMH from seed to harvest. Flipped around end of October so they're a couple weeks into flower:

Name:	20191108_065652.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	347944

Name:	20191108_065657.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	5.44 MB
ID:	347945

The last one is a couple weeks behind but filling a 4x4 under LM301B LED 3500k all by herself! Definitely my biggest/nicest plant so far:

Name:	20191108_065600.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	5.23 MB
ID:	347946

Name:	20191108_065553.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	3.98 MB
ID:	347947

Feeding all plants Mega Crop only. 5g/gal twice per day.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Up next:
    [Insert your recommendation here]

Really lovely ocgreen boy you never know what your gonna get with Jack. I still have 2 seeds of Herer but didn't grow her this summer. She was the hugest outdoor plant I grew. Then some are not so much, interesting phenos. Anyhoo, you know more than me about lights, you do just great with seedlings so keep doing with what you got it's working. Me i'm still just doing the T5/CFL but I think next run of photos I will try and put them under LED sooner on veg. just to see if they develop quicker. I veg mine for 2 months just flipped mine Oct.3rd. No preflowers yet. I do use the mega crop also mix it with liquid bat/fish poop tea. Man that one Jack is a bushed out wild child, she going be huge LOL look forward to seeing her stretch.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I'm worried to transition from CMH to T5 for seedling because my germination rate under CMH has been excellent. The only reason I want to change is because of hydro cost, but the difference between 315W and 50W wasn't enough for me to risk messing up the Mokum's Tulip.

Mega Crop already smells so awful I couldn't imagine mixing more poop into it LOL. I remember DingusKhan played a joke on me once and said something about how it smells so sweet (before i received it). Smelled that nasty smell as soon as I opened bag and had a chuckle.

Here's hoping you're right about the one monster jack. Can't wait to see the stretch.

• DingusKhan
      DingusKhan commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey ocgreen, sorry for the very amusing misunderstanding, but I meant to say that the buds I grew with megacrop were sweet. Not that megacrop was sweet. Megacrop smells like fertilizer. But it's not too bad in a hydro reservoir. And I really do mean that. I've used it for a couple of grows in hydro, and I thought the pot tasted as good as soil grown, only with the frosty of DWC under CMH.

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL DingusKhan that makes more sense. I agree it's ok in hydro. I used it successfully in a couple DWC bucket grows. Really happy with it overall

Looking good. You caught me with the you dont know Jack part. Lol When I realized you were talking about the strain I remembered why I've never grown it. To many phenotypes but yours look awesome.
    You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Well then for the love of god please teach me how to clone. I tried taking clones from these guys twice already and they never sprout roots. I am actually 0/7 cloning and it's supposed to be so easy 🙄

Jack Herer and Jack Hair...same strain?
    Asking because I've read many times in different places that Jack Hair is great for ScrOG setups, and that one you have up there looks like a prime canadate for ScrOG as well.

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I think so -- Jack Hair is likely just a misspelling of the last name of the activist they named the strain after. Here's a bit of background:

The Jack Herer strain was named in honour of the late cannabis activist, polemicist and author of the all-time classic "The Emperor Wears No Clothes". It has become established as something of a classic marijuana strain itself combining as it does the out-there euphoric, cerebral effect of a pure sativa strain with the resin-producing qualities of a pure indica. It was originally created by Sensi Seeds by crossing a Haze with a Northern Lights #5 x Shiva Skunk cross.

However, as others note, there is significant variation across phenotypes.

• BillyKidd
      BillyKidd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

ocgreen yes it is the stinky mix but I don't use it but every other watering during veg. and put them in the bathtub to water them right now. Sure is good strong stuff my plants are fat lighter size or bigger at the trunk in 2months. Just puts out a lot of leaf growth I notice. It's my 3rd round with mega/guano/fish poop tea, i go less in the mix. i'm conservative with indoor nutes.

indoor/outdoor grower
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

Just a quick photo to show how "MJ" (monster jack) is progressing:

Name:	20191118_065428.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	4.90 MB
ID:	350498

That's after raising the lights a few inches, a very conservative/minor defoliation and a little time stretching colas apart from each other to create more airflow.

The other 2 are getting stinky and fattening up

Name:	20191117_065004.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	4.23 MB
ID:	350499

Even less defoliation in this tent. Basically I removed no more than three dozen large fan leaves (which were blocking bud sites) over a span of a few days.

The second tent was looking pretty dark green so I lowered the Mega Crop over past few weeks. Went from 5g to 3.5g in 0.5g increments and they still seem to be loving life.

Up next:

Comment

Gave MJ a few days to recover before doing some more defoliation. Will most likely take some more over coming days and then tuck until harvest. What do you think?

Name:	20191121_082640.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	5.16 MB
ID:	351222

Name:	20191121_082644.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	5.16 MB
ID:	351223
        Up next:

Comment

ocgreen can I ask what board your LM301B is? Was it a diy project or something you purchased as plug & play?
          Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

• ocgreen
            ocgreen commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Obi-Wan -- always willing to share info. I purchased my QBs as separate parts from Kingbrite vendor on Alibaba.

It's the Qb288 V2 LM301B model with HLG 240H C2100A meanwell drivers. Based on a recommendation from a more experienced grower, I went with a triple heat sink because they said it would give more even spread if there's a gap between on triple vs side by side if you use a double heat sink.

If I recall correctly it was somewhere around $1CDN/watt delivered because I purchased enough for 4 units

Let me know if you need more details

• Obi-Wan
            Obi-Wan commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like that setup gives you excellent coverage in your 4x4. I can’t wait to see the final results, I’d like to do a similar build in my 3x3 to replace my 400w HPS. Thanks for the info!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191122_193748.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	351661

In case it wasn't clear when I tried to explain the triple heat sink/space between lights

If you have a double heat sink instead of triple the boards are side by side/light is more concentrated in centre
          Up next:

Comment

First two are looking great aside from a few rust spots. Think the ph pen was a little off for a few days. Recalibrated

Name:	20191128_232414.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	5.96 MB
ID:	353221

The plant in the front has much less dense nugs all over but developing ok. Looks a little foxtailed (?) or maybe that's how some buds are because I had one like that in the past.

The plant in the back has some dense frosty nugs that look really nice

Name:	20191128_200429.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	353222

Again, some rust spots that I think is a ph problem (?) but nothing I would consider serious.

MJ in the second tent had to learn how to share because I moved the Bruce (Banger) twins in there

Name:	20191128_232153.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	5.10 MB
ID:	353223

Here's a close up of MJ

Name:	20191128_232207.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	353224
            Up next:

Comment

• JohnEmad
              JohnEmad commented
              Editing a comment
              I have bruce banger seeds so very interested how they turn out for you. The whole grow looks top notch.

• ocgreen
              ocgreen commented
              Editing a comment
              Well you should know that these Bruce had a rough go early on. I gave them too much light and not enough magnesium to the point where they were pretty yellow in some areas. That happened a week or two into flip so not ideal at all. And I managed to leave the air tube disconnected in one DWC bucket for about a week.

I guess all that goes to show it's a really resilient strain because they're back to doing ok

• JohnEmad
              JohnEmad commented
              Editing a comment
              I know what you mean about resilient ocgreen. I almost killed my current grow of autos by forgetting to precharge the coco with cal/mag.. Set them back 10 days. Then I had nute lockout and had to flush one plant. But now they have filled the tent and in the absence of any more of my fool handling they should produce well.

Great looking plants OC very healthy. Are you still adding mega crop?

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• ocgreen
              ocgreen commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks SoOrbudgal. I appreciate you sticking around for the journey.

Yes, I am down to about 3g/gallon. Planning to use Mega Crop only until they're ready to flush and then about 2-3 weeks of plain water.

That doesn't let me reduce the nitrogen levels during flower like I should but I don't know another way

I am using 1/2 amount of mega crop when I have 4wks left in flower and add molasses to their watering. You know what I mean, then it's just water and molasses till ready to dry out the containers, I let them containers soil dry out. Your doing great.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

• ocgreen
              ocgreen commented
              Editing a comment
              When you say 1/2 do you mean half what they say on the calculator or does that mean 0.5 grams per gallon? Assuming you mean half the amount so probably closer to 2g/gallon but wasnt sure

1/2 the amount they say on the calculator. I'm using 1/2gal milk jugs easy for me to handle when I water in the tent. I'm still able to bring them into the bath tub to water not as messy. But when they get to big and fill out more i'm going to have to water in the tent and I've found that easier on me. I'm still getting lots of shoots from bottom I don't want anymore I've cloned out these two strains, less nitro is the way I do it.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

MJ and the Bruce twins still loving life

Name:	20191204_203853.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	5.83 MB
ID:	355231

Name:	20191204_203916.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	355232

One of the other two in the 3x3 is turning into what looks like a big yield of really frosty amazing looking nugs:

Name:	20191203_204002.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	3.31 MB
ID:	355233

But the plant in the front is a bit of a letdown so far. Really airy and leafy bud structure.

Name:	20191201_195910.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	355234

Is it foxtailing from too much light or just how some buds grow?

Name:	20191127_213527.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	355235
              Up next:

Comment

Wife grew a JH outdoor during the summer, just threw it in with the squash and tomatoes. It did not do bad considering. The JH I'm growing indoor is outgrowing my space, next grow will trim and train. Nice Job!
                Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
                A tale of two seeds
                Batter Up Sour Deisel
                Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
                New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
                Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

• ocgreen
                  ocgreen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, Jack can get pretty tall which is why I topped and did a lot of training. At this point they seemed to have stopped getting taller and I still have plenty of vertical space so things worked out well.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X