hermaphrodite good for reproduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hermaphrodite good for reproduction?

I ended up getting a hermaphrodite !! I think it was stressed and turned into one ,just didnt notice in time . seperated in a building out back so I could put a Gorilla glue or Cronik. is it worth the trouble ? I thought I would mate the 2 and get my own seeds . i have 6 plants in the basement trying to keep a buffer between the male and the others . any help is greatly appreciated .

You could always let it grow and collect the pollen when it's done it's cycle. The nice thing is with saving it and pollinating it yourself is you can control which plants develops seeds. I've done it many times and haven't had an issue with it. I've often purposely stressed plants just for the pollen to cross breed strains. It's a fun little thing to do every once in a while, but don't get discouraged if it doesn't work the first time...its a bit of an art form

Comment

• PER527
      PER527 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I'm going to collect the pollen at the end of its cycle. And then pollinate the plants I want to.

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      i agree, ive done the same with great results, a stressed plant with a few pollen sacks will probably produce a few hermies but most of the progeny is often female and you just get rid of the true hermies that come out. the stress ive tried on a few strains has been starving them and then flower them with no nutrients at all. cant really tell about other more aggressive stresses

I make a few crosses from time to time, they can be fun and can produce well. However they can also bring forward undesired traits as well.
    The seed made on the hermie its self can pick up more bad traits,,,
    When I make seed the pollen producing plant/s involved have their own area, closed with no circulation to the others (females).
    When I last harvested pollen it (the whole flowering top) went into a Ziploc baggie. I put a female bud to be impregnated into the baggie, sealed as best one can and shake! Wait 6-8 weeks and harvest the seed, I got 1.5 stray seed on a plant I did not want seed from (made a great plant BTW). I also get a few runts which are pulled,,, I get very few hermies from the seed (I myself have 0, but there have been reports of them from others)

Comment

Howdy PER527, I am starting my fourth grow using 'nanner'ed' seeds from previous grows. So far, all of the plants that I have grown from the self-pollinated seeds, have all been female plants. The plants produced nanners, not actual male flowers, so it might be a different result in the seeds produced from a hermied plant.
      The only way to tell is to grow them. Good luck
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Thanks for the help I think that when the Male plant comes of age I will collect the pollen and bag it for the right time. This is my 3rd go around and never got a Male out of my seeds . This is a first. I'm really having fun with growing and trying new techniques and now getting my own seeds..... Its always something new. I will keep you posted on my results.

. Happy Harvest!!!!!!!

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          it wont last more than a few days, do some research on how to store it but im sure it has to be within a few days from collecting. i like to pluck the nanners and then take them to the bud i want and then squeeze it a bit to release the pollen in my fingers and then rub on the pistils. you can cut a small male bud/branch and rub it on the bud you want to pollinate. gotta time it out so the mother gets 30 to 40 days after pollination to get viable mature seeds

Well life got in the way . Update male plant is dead . No heat ìt froze . So I'm not going to heat my shed for the experiment. I'll catch the next one.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X