Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much to water? Help, first time grower.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much to water? Help, first time grower.

First time grower here. I got two gelato OG and one white widow. I’ve never even watered a plant before so i don’t know how much.

i got the tap root by soaking in water and doing the paper towel method. I watched YouTube. These plants pictured i put into the ground on October 4th. This is how it looks on October 30th.

i was giving them about a cup of water every two days. And then i found out 4 days ago, i was giving them too little water. So i just filled the pots with water, literally drenched it. And two days later, they’re showing signs of life. They almost doubled in size since then.

So my question is, how much do i water? How often do i water?

Since you’re here, I’ll include a video so you can see my lights. I can’t get the temperature to get below 88. How do y’all do it?
    Last edited by Leman; 10-30-2019, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Comment

Hello Leman welcome to the fourm.
        The first question is are you in soil or coco?

here is a good read to help
        Learn everything you need to know about watering your cannabis plants. No more guessing or worrying!

Space for Rent.

Comment

I’m in soil. Foxfarm ocean Forrest soil.

Comment

• golfnrl
            golfnrl commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Leman...I had the same question my first grow. I used the same soil as you. I don't think there is a set amount to water your plants, each strain is different. I use the finger method to determine when to water. Just stick your index finger in the soil up to the first knuckle. If it feels dry then add water. Looks like you are using cloth pots. Add water until it starts to leak out the bottom. I like to add water until about 10% runs out the bottom. It's counterintuitive but its a good rule of thumb. Put your pots in a saucer to catch the runoff. Also, make sure the PH is in an acceptable range, (6 to 7, I like 6.3) Do you have a PH tester? I'd recommend a digital one. They're worth the cost. Your plants will love it. Looks like you have a couple of fans to move the air around the tent. They're good for circulation inside the tent but you need an exhaust fan that will turn over the air inside your space and bring in fresh air from outside the tent. I have a 3x3 tent and use a 6" fan that runs about 1/2 speed. It's very quiet. Hope that helps a little. good luck with your grow.

How much you water depends on your plants, size of pots, type of pot and medium. With fabric pots, you dont have to worry about over watering as much. I water until 20% runoff to make sure there is no salt buildup (im in coco tho) then wait until my pots are light (meaning light to pick up aka dry). If you are using a poor draining medium, then you dont need to water as often, but you are more susceptible to root issues. It is recommended to have a good draining soil or medium. When your plant is young, you could water your plant once a week. But as she gets bigger you willl find the need to water more often as the roots stretch out and drink water faster.

Want a foolproof watering method? I know this works for coco but dont see why it wouldnt work for soil. Water until runoff. Pick up pot and take note of how heavy it is (dont have to weigh it, just get an idea of difference between just watered and dry). Check on plant throughout the week and when soil is dry pick up pot and see how light it is. You now have a baseline. When the pot gets really light, it is dry and needs to be watered again until runoff.

Comment

Soil guy, here. I use the weight method. My plants get low dose fish squeezin's instead of plain water, once they get established.
            You'll see lighter green leaves at the top of your plants as they grow. Like many plants, new growth is a lighter green than the rest of the leaves on the plant.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X