Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing PH'd water will melt at the same PH?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing PH'd water will melt at the same PH?

I was thinking about making some PH'd ice cubes. Will it melt at the same PH that I freeze them at?

I would assume so as long as there is nothing to alter the ph? it may warrant an experiment. There are non ice, ice cubes https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-reu...a-767868443977

Comment

• Farmall
      Farmall commented
      Editing a comment
      God help the person who has one of those ice chewing habits !

I might try the expirement. Will update if I actually attempt it.

Comment

This is for keeping temps down in a DWC or something similar?

Comment

• RFheavy
        RFheavy commented
        Editing a comment
        A fun little thing I'm trying.😉

i am not a chemist, but my guess is the pH will remain the same. as suggested it is an easy experiment.

Comment

Water temperature changes will change the PH of the water. When the water is frozen it’s a different PH than when it’s not, no matter what adjustment you made prior to freezing. Same issue when the ice melts. It’s a veritable that would require extreme controls to regulate.
        Discover types of temperature compensation and how temperature can impact the pH of a solution and its potential consequences - Westlab Canada.
        Last edited by Toker1; 10-29-2019, 03:56 PM.
        4x4 600w HID empty for summer
        3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
        2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
        running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
        https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

If you check the pH, and later the water is frozen and then later thaw my guess is the pH will be the same. water temperature does effect the pH, but if measuring the water at the same temp after thawing should be the same. give it the old experiment.

Comment

So here it is. Kind of. I started with four ounces of water in three cups. One cup straight from the tap, one at a 6 pH and the third at 5 pH.
            https://imgur.com/a/kc4ncE7 (two different temps; I trust my pH tester as it is always closest to the set temp in my hydro bucket.)

Once frozen, I removed the cups from the freezer and let them thaw at room temp.

Now, there is some variance at play. I tried wiping my meters off before dipping in the other cups. I also should've let them cups sit until room temp and taken the readings again but it slipped my mind. Anyway, take this little test with a grain of salt. I kind of want to try this again just to make sure everything was correct. I calibrated my pH tester before the test but I still feel uneasy with the results. I can deal with that pH swing for my little experiment. If that works out, I'll update this thread.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X