SoG question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SoG question

I've got a ways to go in the current grow but I'm already thinking about the next one.

I've been thinking about a SoG. I've read a couple of articles but haven't seen anything on the number of plants to have in the SoG. I have a 3x3 tent and an HLG 100 V2 4K grow light. I am thinking of using 2-gallon cloth pots and then putting as many as I can get in the grow space. If I used 2-gallon pots how long to leave the plants in Veg without worrying about them becoming root bound? Am I over thinking this? I'm wanting to grow a sativa strain for the SoG.
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

I'm a noob so not sure if this is the greatest advice, but for my current grow I transplant from solo cup to 3gallon after 3rd row, then to 7 gallon right before flower. Adding tons of new, hot soil every time. No liquid nutes with FF soil for me. First time using 4x4 sog. If anyone else can weigh in , it's a good topic!

Comment

If you use cloth pots you wont have to worry about your pots being root bound. That being said, most sog setups are just as many pots as you can fit in the tent and a short veg time. Sativas are going to be harder cause they have longer flower times and tend to get taller. The website says 4-6 weeks veg, but thats how long i typically veg mine anyways. SOG can be lots of small plants that are in veg for short time and hardly trained or you can have medium pots and train them for an even canopy. I think people think SOG is something more complicated than it is. It's really just filling up the tent with green. You can do one plant that takes 2 months to veg to fill out a tent or you can do lots of younger, smaller plants, though sog is typically seen as lots of small plants.

Comment

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx Tersky, I am most concerned about the plants being root bound, but if the cloth pots take care of that then I should be good. I'll reread the tutorials as well. The 4-6 weeks of veg time fit in with what I was wondering about, and sounds manageable.

Define SOG... are you topping once or growing single cola plants?
      2 gal is kinda small. Best for running more of the single cola for sure.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking a basic Sea of Green. Single cola plants. But, between now and when this grow starts I may change my mind and top once. Since I'm so new to growing cannabis I haven't tried any topping or LST yet. But I guess that just means more grows to try different techniques.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you top, you will need more time in veg and larger containers.

I was thinking about running a SoG for my next grow. I think I’d like to try 9 plants, all in 2-gallon smart pots (10” across) that are resting in 12” saucers. Definitely doing autos and I’m debating topping once versus leaving alone. Almost thinking to leave it alone, as this will allow the plant the fastest turn around time, I think. I’m interesting seeing just how fast I can get a decent yield.
      Gorilla 3x3
      LEC 315
      Kind Soil
      Current: White Widow XXL, Crystal M.E.T.H., Six-Shooter, Afghan Kush Ryder, Northern Lights x2, Strawberry Cheesecake

Comment

• golfnrl
        golfnrl commented
        Editing a comment
        @s62...i'f my third grade math skills are correct the setup you're describing would result in a total of 9 plants. I kinda like the idea of not topping but I haven't decided that just yet. I have been looking for the 2-gallon pots and saucers just to get a close-up look at how big they are. Did you buy yours on-line? If so, can you share the site with me? I don't have a lot of experience with plants of any kind, but I want to learn. This cannabis growing thing is pretty cool.

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought my Smart Pots from a local grow store, but you can find them on Amazon. I’ve got 15-gallon and 3-gallon pots currently. Will need to buy the 2-gallon pots. If I can figure out a way to get my pots off the ground without gravel, I may stick with 3-gallon pots, as they’re 12” across.

@s62...all I've used so far are the 3-gallon cloth pots. I bought them at a local grow store. I also bought the pot stands (later). I didn't realize how handy those stands are until I tried to get by without them . I tried sitting the pots on a metal cooling rack but that didn't work so well. I stopped by the same grow store and bought some 2-gallon cloth pots today. I was told that pot stands aren't available for that size pot. I'm going to see what google has to say. If I find some I'll let ya know.
      Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
      Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4

Comment

• s62
        s62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, I’ve never heard of pot stands. I’d be interested in learning about them

I have three plants in my 3x3 tent. Another one would easily fit. This is my current set up. 3-gallon cloth pots sitting on top of a pot elevator that fits inside the saucer. Apparently the local grow shop owner was correct about there not being a pot elevator out there of less than 13" across, if there is one google can't find it.

Comment

https://squarefarmer.com/ this is what I use and they work great

Comment

Hey golfnrl, this is my SoG at the moment.(wasnt trying for a SoG but...) There are 3 photo AK-47 and 2 auto (cheese and Northern Lights x Big Bud) Tent is 3 1/2w x 6'l x 6'h. No topping just LST and grow area is almost at maximum coverage. I have a new fan/filter to install and that will fill the tent completely. Im guessing if i grew only autos, i could probably fit 8-10 plants.
          Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
          Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
          6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
          Canna Coco/perlite
          General Hydroponics Flora Series
          Cal/Mag.

Tent
          Bruce Banner
          Kushy Kush
          2Cookies and cream

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X