New to Everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO New to Everything!

Hey everyone, I am new to the site and growing as well. I am currently in the last leg of set up. I've decided to grow hydroponically in a 32"x32"x64". I used a 17gallon Rubbermaid tote, 6 4" ports and a 6-port drip manifold. Got a 315w cmh grow light with a 3000 red enhanced light. I will add an exhaust system in a couple weeks. I am getting ready to do a "dry run" of the system to see what I can make better and to monitor temps. I currently have about 20 auto seeds to start and would like to experiment with all seeds.

Sounds like a good start so far. I started with hydro too, built my own systems and all. Eventually you may only end up with room for 1 plant in your bucket so they don't get root bound together. Just remember to monitor pH levels regularly or you'll run into problems. I had issues with root rot on my first couple grows so definitely get yourself some Hydroguard, or something similar to prevent it. My ladies came back from that but it added about 2-3 weeks to my grow. Hope this helps and happy growing

Comment

• dmfpmv
      dmfpmv commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I got the Hydroguard. I'm planning on two plants for the first grow. The roots tangling never crossed my mind.

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah it works fine with multiple plants in the same container for a while but once they get big enough they'll start tangling together. With a 17 gallon you can probably get away with 2 smaller plants but I would try for one and just grow it longer. Another problem with 2 in one container is that you can't move them apart if you need to spread them out, and when they get going you will probably need to. You can still fill up your space with proper training on one plant though. I have a 10 gallon tub (I think) that I was going to do a single lady in to hone in my hydro skills. Otherwise everything else is soil right now, except for a few smaller ladies that I'm chopping down tomorrow. Won't be a lot but a few oz of dank buds that I grew myself is still exciting to me. Looking at your stuff again, you may want to add your ventilation as soon as you can. I don't have experience with cmh lights but if they run as hot as hps/mh lights, you may need it or your plants may not grow. Do you have pH up/down and testing meters or test strips? If not definitely get some they'll make your life easier.

I got the ph test kit on its way and ppm meter. I have only been taking pictures of the build but I plan on documenting the grow on grow diary. Once I run the system and monitor temps, not burn anything down, I will start the seeds and grab the exhaust.

Comment

I agree with dphipps, would start out with one plant in a tent that size. I would also start my grow with the shortest strain of plant you have. The tent is kind of short and the tops can start to burn it you are not training it to be wide, which is another reason to use only one plant so that they do not run in to each other.

Comment

• dmfpmv
        dmfpmv commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm kinda excited about training. I can't really picture in my mind how big the autos will get. It will prolly be a good idea for one then.

Look at my grow journal for my first to harvest, two plants are taking up the entire 3×3 tent.

Comment

Comment

• dmfpmv
          dmfpmv commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I want. Nice!

dmfpmv , just bear in mind the tent height and that you will need to subtract the light housing from the overall height leaving the balance as your max grow room height. That’s where good training management will be an asset to you. Since you have autos, they will tell you when they’re switching to flower ... you’ll do great. The CMH will produce some excellent flower for you as well.

Comment

• dmfpmv
          dmfpmv commented
          Editing a comment
          It took me almost 2 weeks to decide on the 315 vs a 250/400mh. I thought I'd go insane. Every time I think I'm ready, it seems I'm still days away.

dmfpmv Welcome to the forum! I grow hydro, too: just make sure you can keep the water temperatures down so as to avoid the dreaded root rot. I had to invest in chillers.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• dmfpmv
          dmfpmv commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I've been thinking about that. What's a good temp range. I'm going into the winter, I live in a basement apartment, kinda. I get some heat but it can get chilly if I don't use a space heater. I'm a little concerned about that. I plan on running the lights at night.

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Here are some guidelines:
          Deep Water Culture (DWC) means growing your plant with the roots in a bubbling reservoir of nutrient water. This perfect root environment is what gives DWC-grown plants their remarkable growth speed!

Learn exactly how to maintain the rigth temperature for your indoor cannabis grow room.

Learn how to control humidity in the cannabis grow room to get faster growth and better yields!

Please read them carefully. If you wanna grow top shelf bud, you have to learn all this stuff.

A space heater will keep the humidity down in winter, but that's not so good for the vegetative stage, which needs more humidity. You have to find ways to keep temp and humidity right for whatever grow stage you're at: for me, it meant investing in a big dehumidifier, a space heater, and a humidifier.

We want to keep the humidity low during flowering so as to discourage mildew and mold.

• dmfpmv
          dmfpmv commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do! Thanks for that. I'm prolly gonna have to get something like that. Kinda dry down here.

When I was in hydroponics, my reservoir temp barely reached 72 as the highest, once I tossed in a bag of ice cubes thinking it was climbing but it was also winter and stayed in the 60’s. The CMH light added some room temperature but not a lot. It did have a 6” vent on it so I vented it out to the warehouse but once it started to flower...I had to add a carbon filter. You’re gonna love the light. There are others as always but that is a great choice. As you have discovered, hydro guard is your friend 😉

Comment

• dmfpmv
          dmfpmv commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man, I was also looking at the dual 315w. If I ever feel like upgrading. That looked pretty sweet.

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet yes, but makes double the need for exhausting the heat thru the hood

It might also depend on surrounding environments. I'm new to this to but I have found that controlling the temp and humidity in the rooms next to where my tent is has a huge effect on the tent conditions.

Comment

• dmfpmv
          dmfpmv commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna be sleeping right next to the tent basically.

it is the room the tent is in that has added effects on temp and humidity

Comment

dmfpmv I've learned over the past 3 years of growing what a significant difference it makes in your final product, i.e., your harvest, when you are able to fine tune the environment. In my first year I had root rot and a plant hermied because of too much heat during flowering, pollinated the other plants, and I got some seeds. Fortunately, it all happened late enough in flower that the bud was pretty good and the seeds were minimal and immature.

The things I did to fine tune my grow environment:
          1. Two 10 HP chillers, one for each reservoir.
          2. The dehumidifier, the humidifier, the space heater. So when it gets cold and dry in winter and I'm in the vegetation phase which likes more humidity, I've got the heater on low in the grow room after lights out and the humidifier blowing. The dehumidifier is on during flower, as I lower the humidity below 50% and down to 35% at the end of flowering. The temperature fluctuates between 72-73 F (lights on)-69-68 F at night.
          3. I switched from HID bulbs to LED Cobbs. I save 50% energy and the room temp stays much lower.

This was all done gradually, as I learned what I needed to have to grow the very best bud I could. Cuz I just wasn't interested in growing so-so bud.
          Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
          2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
          Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• dmfpmv
            dmfpmv commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tips! It's gonna be an interesting process,I'm looking forward to finally sprouting some seeds but I'm constantly 10 away.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X