0/6 cloning. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

0/6 cloning. What am I doing wrong?

I tried cloning a half dozen times and they never root. Hoping someone can help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

​This is my process (based on trying to follow guides):
    • Take 5-8" clones using sterile razor blade... 45 degrees... from mature fem photo plant in veg
    • Place clone directly in water while I cut the rest of the clones (less than 5 min) -- have also tried soaking in gel
    • Dip the clone in powder and/or gel (I have tried various combos of gel then powder, powder only, powder then gel, etc.)
    • Place the clone into a rapid rooter which has been presoaked -- tried using low strength nute solution and plain ph water
    • Squirt some extra gel in the rapid rooter hole to fill it up
    • Place rapid rooter in a tray with dome which is then placed at bottom of veg tent (pretty for away from light) --- 18/6 cycle
    • Periodically (typically 2 times per day) spray water on inside of dome to create condensation and wet the rapid rooter using ph water or mild nute solution
    I also recently tried to just snip it and leave it in water by a window sill but it eventually withered and died.

I know cloning is supposed to be easy so I must be missing something obvious.

This next time I'm thinking 1) put them under CMH instead of LED 2) try to create tighter seal with tray/dome so humidity stays in and 3) pack presoaked coco into tray slots instead of rooters

Any other tips or things I should do differently?

Up next:
    [Insert your recommendation here]

Sounds over complex, I take cuttings and root them with air bubbles in plain tap water, about 10 days

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah so my buddy told me the same. He said put them under a window sill in a cup of water. Nothing.

Are you saying you just put an air stone in some plain water? What type of lighting?

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes air stones, bubble walls is what I have in a modified psycloner removed the water pumo and put in the stones. With only tap water 1 have been getting 100% to pots. I use indirect lighting, I also have high humidity and do not use a cover dome.
      A glass of water will work, keep strong light off the lower part (roots dont like light) and change the water daily.

but are the cuttings dying? you are not supposed to open the dome for the first 5 days, spraying twice a day may be the issue. some strains are freaking hard to clone

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes they eventually wilt will die. The cut part goes brown. No roots. Didnt realize I was supposed to leave alone for first 5 days. How does the rooter or plant stay wet if you don't open the dome at all for 5 days? Original moisture stays in that whole time? If so punds like I need a tray and dome with better seal

• 9fingerleafs
      9fingerleafs commented
      Editing a comment
      dont need a great seal, it just takes time for the water you spray to fully saturate the air inside the dome, maybe leave for a few days until you see no more drops in the dome and then spray, they shouldnt die after a couple of days. the ones in water, do you change the water daily, ive had succes cloning in cups of water but can take up to 4 weeks to root

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasnt changing the water at all and it was a bit of a face palm moment when I read your comment 😅

Going to try what you mention about the dome. Thanks!

When do they die?
    Do they all die in the same timeframe- say 3 days?
    Do they just fail to show roots?
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not add ANYTHING- except the original application cloning gel to the cut- all you are trying to do is cover the wound (think bandaid) so you don't get an air embolism within 3 days. (this is why honey works)

The next thing I would look at is the temperature. Is your tent on the ground? If so, get the cloining tray off the tent bottom a bit.

Go ahead and use the coco, in case the rooters are too wet, causing dampening.

Your light should be less not more.
      If your windows are newer than 1980 ish- they may be energy efficient and not enough light.

The only other cause would be your water quality ppms, pH etc.

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your help. Never thought to consider the windows but I think you're right that they're the newer energy efficient type so maybe that's part of it. But I also realized based on above that I wasnt changing the cup of water at all so that is a factor as well.

My tray is on a heat mat but that heat mat is on a tent floor which is on a mostly cold concrete floor. So now that I think about it I can see what you mean there

So just to recap... dip a fresh clone in gel only and then take that clone and plunk it in mild nute coco which has been compressed into tray... and then just leave it with dome on for like a week under a small amount of light..? No need to go back and water the coco or spray dome or anything?

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know about changing water daily- weekly perhaps, but I like to leave them undisturbed as much as possible.

You will need to keep the coco watered well until you see new growth- then let it dry out a bit.
      Mist the clones/dome to keep it alive until it roots- then stop.

Are you cutting most the leaf off and clipping the tips of the ones you leave?
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mr.furley hope you're doing well. Yes I tried to do that -- cut of all nodes but top and cut the tips of fan leaves

Sirius posted a few things on cloning about 3 weeks ago, had some clippings from a pruning job and left them in those quart Wonton soup containers ... just for the heck of it.

theyve been siting in slimy water in a very dark hallway for almost 4 weeks and more than half have roots and semi green leaves but due to their miserable environment, they are fading fast...with roots though

Comment

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep hearing these stories how people can do it by accident or by barely caring for the cutting and here I am 0% success rate 😅

I am (somewhat reluctantly) going to try again this weekend

Figured out one key issue was that my tray and dome didnt match/create a tight seal.

I took 8 clones 2.5 days ago and humidity stayed 99% the whole time. Had to turn heating pad off because it was going over 30C. I opened this morning and 1 is drooping but others are ok.

Purchased a 2ft dual T5 fixture with 6500k bulbs for $35 off Amazon. Arrives Saturday. Plan is to hang the light to the top of a metal shelf and put the dome right under it 24/0.

Anyone see any problems/opportunities with my clones?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_063817.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	344650

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_063825.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	4.09 MB
ID:	344649
    Up next:
    [Insert your recommendation here]

Comment

• Mr.furley
      Mr.furley commented
      Editing a comment
      Crack one of the vent open a 1/4 inch to help keep you humidity around 60%-75%.

• WizardsNThings
      WizardsNThings commented
      Editing a comment
      I did my first clones this summer. All 6 rooted. Similarly, did the 45' then water, gel and powder and into presoaked rapid rooter (no nute). No light for 2 days then a 50w LED like 3 ft away. Misted lightly 1 or 2x a day. Took 8 days or so for the first roots to show. I had mine just in my grow tent with no dome or anything. The only thing I'd say (not an expert by any means!) is less leaves on them. I had 2, maybe 3 at most with them all cut in half. Those branches look thick too, maybe try taking from some newer growth as well? Just speculating. Hopefully you can figure it out!

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys. I cracked vent a 1/4 inch and planning to take some more clones this Saturday. Will make sure a few of those are from the newer growth and less leaves.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X