Germination rates and seedling quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination rates and seedling quality

Hi everybody, new member here kicking off an indoor grow in the next week or so.

I would love to hear how many seeds you guys typically germinate compared to how many plants you plan to grow. I have 5 fem white widow seeds and plan to grow 2 plants initially in a 2*4 tent. They should be quality seeds, purchased from Crop Kings.

Is it a waste to germinate more than two? If you germinate multiple seeds in similar conditions, do you expect to have some that are significantly stronger than others?

I have some memory from over a decade ago of my buddy starting a bunch of seeds and selecting only the strongest few to grow. These seeds aren't cheap and I know I'll have a hard time killing good plants if I germinate too many.

What do you guys do? I don't want to waste seeds, but I want to have the healthiest plants possible in my tent.

Thanks in advance.
    M

Welcome to the group Northernbud

I germinated only the amount of seeds i have room for, with good reputable genetics you should have a 100% germination rate and if you don't you well know within a week so starting more seeds is still a option.
    Last edited by Mr.furley; 10-12-2019, 01:34 PM.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

I only germinate the seeds I plan to grow - no extra - can always start another if one runs into a difficulty.
      I too have autoflower plants growing - purchased from Crop King Seeds - I know yours aren't autoflowers.
      Good luck growing and welcome to this forum Northernbud .
      ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
      Mars Hydro
      Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I don't germinate anymore than I plan on growing so if your growing 2 plants germinate 2 fem seeds. Good luck and welcome to GWE best place to learn about growing weed in my opinion
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks all for the advice, this is what I was hoping to hear. I'll start with 2.

I'll update when I germ my seeds.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Northernbud Welcome! Funny you should bring this up, because I decided that on my next grow I'm going to germinate more seeds and keep the strongest plants. I've ended up with super-slow or runty growers next to really strong seedlings, and I don't want no more runts.

How you germinate could make a big difference with your success rate. I struggled my first time and wasted 4 crop kings seeds using jiffy pucks(never again). I have been having 100% success, **knock on wood, soaking the seed in water for about 24-36hrs and then straight to a cup,about an inch or so, with soil. I then cover the cup with a plastic sandwich bag until they pop(2-4 days). I skip the the paper towel thing altogether.

good luck and happy growing!

Comment

Old school bag seed we would do way more than we grew, select the best of the plants, pull the runts, pull males. The seed I have today is way more pricey than bag seed, like the others 1 for 1 and grow the runts out,,,,

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X