trick learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trick learned

I just wanted to post this while harvesting lots of plants I have found that if you cut to many they start to wilt and get alot harder to trim well we stuck whole plant in a bucket of water to see how it made out IT WORKED we left it overnight and it was still standing tall in the morning , this enabled us to cut more than 3 plants at a time ,and we were able to cut when we wanted not when we had to ,our rot was kept to a minimum the trics were mostly cloudy with very few amber ,with no rot ,while we were trimming we found alot of stems that would of killed the buds these last few days with the rain and temps
    new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
    current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Morning from raining So. Oregon OJ. Boy oh boy you got slammed like a lot of us over here. It's looking bleak for most without cover. So far i'm still going with outdoor grow thanks to GH for a couple and a canopy for the other few. Good lesson with the water trick. I do most of the big leaf trim outdoors then cut into sections for hanging. It's so humid here with the rain and it's in the 60s so a lot of us are taking a bit earlier than we would if it's getting mold. I've taken 1 burnt cookie that was cloudy little amber but had too and 1 mama mia that was crippled but sure produced from the broken and bent arms, split also during wind storm.
    Those that can stick it out till cloudy/milky trichs for outdoor will be fine in my opinion, for our personel use i'll just blend it with some further along bud down the line. Suppose to get maybe 4 days of clear sky after today so that may just get my WW and other mama mia done cause i'm into the indoor now. I've got a gorilla bomb that could be a Dec. gal in the GH and a Critical kush that's a Nov. finisher i'm not worried about frost or snow.
    It's a mezmerizing time trimming, hope you take frequent breaks walk around i can't sit more than 1/2hr without taking a walk. Take it easy, so glad it's coming to season close.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks for the info Jarhead! Even us old dogs can learn new tricks and I just learned one thanks to you.
      I still have 90% of my girls out, we blow them off with leaf blowers a couple times a day during the rain, so far we have a very small amount of rot, nothing too concerning.
      The frost we have coming this weekend is going to throw the girls into a final frenzy of sugar production, we will be out before the sun hits them with the hoses, as long as we melt the frost before the sun hits and starts burning they'll be fine unless we get a true "killing frost".

I'm glad things are working out well for you, Jarhead.
      Semper Fidelis

Comment

I still have to harvest mine. She has been getting rained on constantly it seems and it's only in the 50's here now. Luckily no frost . Poor thing. I have been looking at the trichs and they are almost all cloudy now. Maybe I should harvest...???! I was hoping to give her one more day of sun. BTW. What does rot look like.??? She is smelly even outdoors. Love it.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          ROT looks like a brown spot on buds but when touched it is like the bud dissolved ,I think there are a couple of pictures in the tutorial section , if you get it on a bud that bud is no good if it appears on a stem then cut the stem below the rot ,you can save all these buds your close if you can keep them out a week or two I would they fill out alot in the last week

Thanks OJH. It's supposed to rain again but then be sunny the next few days. Depends on the temps. Not getting very warm now.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm going to keep what few I have left now outdoors while sunny then stuff them in the GH I could only put 3max in it so if I can go 1more week on the WW she's cloudy then i'll take her next. Bud rots easy to pick off if you keep a very close eye on the plants and not let it go for days. I've had most rot on the top large colas and middle areas where it's so thick with resin. Just pick it out or cut the bud off trim it from the rot. That's what I will do been waiting and caring tooo long for me to toss out a whole branch for alittle bud rot. I've been tossing little parts maybe quarter size buds in a brown paper bag then later in my mixed bud jars.

Good to know!.. i cut three down at once and was busy for a good 4 hrs straight. I have a tip for anyone growing in pots!!! My back isnt letting me do things i need to do lately, and didnt feel like sitting at a table trimming last two plants but they were ready. Sooo, i pulled them out on the deck, pulled up a chair, and started trimming them still in the pot. Since i didnt have to hold a branch i could use both hands to trim all of the big and small fan leaves and sugar leaves without actually touching the bud. trimmed off about 85% then cut the stem and shape the buds., hang them to dry. (worked so well i took pics, but i think their too big to transfer now).
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Tent
        Bruce Banner
        Kushy Kush
        2Cookies and cream

Comment

I like that idea " homegrown". I've been picking the leaves off of mine. So trimming should be easy..but would love to try your idea.

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown View Post
            Good to know!.. i cut three down at once and was busy for a good 4 hrs straight. I have a tip for anyone growing in pots!!! My back isnt letting me do things i need to do lately, and didnt feel like sitting at a table trimming last two plants but they were ready. Sooo, i pulled them out on the deck, pulled up a chair, and started trimming them still in the pot. Since i didnt have to hold a branch i could use both hands to trim all of the big and small fan leaves and sugar leaves without actually touching the bud. trimmed off about 85% then cut the stem and shape the buds., hang them to dry. (worked so well i took pics, but i think their too big to transfer now).
            I have 12 to harvest, and this year am doing the same as you. Plants will easily take heavy defoliation. I am trimming them alive unchopped. No wilting, and curling leaves for the final trim. I would imagine the plants are having some terrific pain, but that's life I guess.

"How does it feel to kill? Like dying lonesome, and unloved yourself? Like cutting living grass? Or like losing all your marbles in a match that wasn't right?" Rod Mckuen

I have a terrific blister from all of the trimming, and have had to put a Band-Aid around my thumb where it contacts the scissors to alleviate the friction. Also the little Fiskar trimmers are a pain with the little orange locking lever that incessantly engages. The lever is easily removed by prying gently up on one side to take it off. It can just as easily be replaced.

Comment

• oldjarhead100
              oldjarhead100 commented
              Editing a comment
              I usually break that orange slide not on purpose mind you ,so I agree thats the only problem I have with them lol

Hmmm last year I just used regular scissors. I had only one plant ..wished I would have known about this forum then. This is my second year so I'm a newbie. But the scissors worked great I thought. But my hand got tired.. scissors sticky ..so this year will use gloves too.

Comment

Wow they look sharp. And thanks for the razor blade tip. That will help.😃

Comment

• Farmall
              Farmall commented
              Editing a comment
              I borrow my wife’s nail polish remover and for the scissors I also use naphtha. Home Depot sells quart cans of it. Basically lighter fluid but on a bowl trimmer, the metal grates get very sticky and it wipes clean in seconds then easy to wash down with soap and water if you’re really finicky.

• oldjarhead100
              oldjarhead100 commented
              Editing a comment
              Farmall oh man are you messing up (you can clean anyway you want ) all that sticky stuff are trics ,use a blade for scissors/trimmers wear gloves then put them in freezer for 10 minutes and they will peel right off the glove, on the bud spinner I heat the outside with a heat gun and scrape the sides ,last time I scraped it I got 18 grams of outstanding hash, as for the wire greats get a big pan and fill with alcohol and they will clean right up let the alcohol evaporate and it will leave you with some very thick oil as I said you can clean any way you want I just wanted to point out what your missing

Thanks OldJarhead100, now that’s a “trick learned”. 18GRAMS! I’ve done the gloves in a freezer but didn’t think about the metals. Picked up a third trimming scissors with a slight curve to the tips and they work very well and the resin seems to build up after the curve and accumulates in a lump. That pea sized lump is being added to a silicone cup where I am storing the entire lot but... the actual bowl has been a great source of trim and trichs...👍

Comment

• oldjarhead100
              oldjarhead100 commented
              Editing a comment
              and when it gets really dark looking take a hot air gun to the outside of bowl then as it gets soft ( I only do about 2 card widths because it will harden right up) scrape it with an old credit card or something like it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X