Nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutrients

I'm using happy frog soil for my second crop Wich is just now starting to sprout. I know that I'm going to need nutrients with this soil but I'm not sure when or what kind to use.

I've never used FF, but they sell a "trio" of bottles (big bud, grow big, and tiger bloom). It's common to use those with that soil. I've read that HF comes with enough nutrients for 4 weeks. You'd probably start 1/4-strengthen week 3, then 1/2 strength week 4, and full strength after that. (Whatever full strength is. I don't know what is considered full. Absent someone telling you what that is, if you followed FF's schedule for the "trio," you would want to consider half that being "full strength.").

You don't need themed nutrient products, with schedules. You could use any fertilizer that has a reasonable ratio (like 16-16-16, balanced 1-1-1 ratio). You don't need boost P in flower. I haven't noticed much difference either way. The brand doesn't matter much. I've grown two plants using MiracleGro fertilizer (Tomato, and right now growing a plant with All-Purpose. I'll probably switch to Tomato in mid flower. It's a 1-1-1.2 ratio. Whereas, All-Purpose is 3-1-2 ratio. Much higher N for veg. Maybe too much for flower.

Anyway, my point is: the safe bet is probably using the "Trio." Follow the crowd. But, someday you should try a simpler routine and see how it compares. Put together your own "schedule" using ordinary products (found at the hardware store). Fish emulsion, kelp, guano. All you need is a balanced base nutrient (like MiracleGro tomato), and supplement with fish emulsion for higher N in veg (and guano for higher P in flower, if it matters). Kelp at end of flower as a bud hardner.

I'm just saying, if you go with the familiar franchised feeding program (I probably would, in your shoes), don't forget that you can do your own thing. It doesn't require "formulas" like that. You can put your own stuff together, cheaper, be more aware of the NPK ratio you're creating.

Comment

Right now I'm using FF as my base soil too, only I'm using a mix of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. I found an amendment on eBay for a 1.5 cubic foot bag of soil (bought 2) and a few bags of earthworm castings and I'm trying it out now. So far it's working great! I have plants in all stages right now but the ones in their final pots with the amended soil are flowering and looking great. And all I have to do is water about every 3-4 days, it's so nice. I don't pH the water and don't have to mix nutrients any more (except for my hydro setup). Hope this helps

Comment

Nutrients are all pretty much the same.
        When I used nutrients, my plants liked MegaCrop, I did too, it's super easy to use, and I like easy, lol
        Cfls for a week or two
        315lec for everything else
        Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
        36x36x63 inch tent.
        6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
        Smart pots
        Molasses
        Autoflowers

Comment

Mage crop is great. Easily could get through a cycle with 4 plants for $20.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X