Topped... Was it too early?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Topped... Was it too early?

Topped these girls already, wanted to get a jump start on the manifold. They're at the 2 week mark, think that's too early? Don't mind the 2 in the middle. They're catching up now but I don't think they were the best seeds. Got them out of a bag from the dispensary, strain is called Str8 Lemonade. Just wanted some opinions on timing. Going to be growing these ladies for at least 2.5 months still before flowering, I have an 8'x8' to fill up.

I always top at 4th or 5th growth node regardless of how I plan on training. They might be ok, but it looks like you cut too early.

Comment

I think a little early, topping after fourth node seems to work for me. It will be interesting to see how they progress.
      Proving the world just needs more tumble weeds
      A tale of two seeds
      Batter Up Sour Deisel
      Batter up! Amnesia Haze Autoflower
      New Year, New Grow, Jack Herer DWC
      Batter up, Girl Scout Cookies extreme auto (GSCE)

Comment

In my opinion, your timing is way off. The seedling's had no chance to grow leaves and pick up steam. Way too early to top. I hope she grows.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I must agree to early.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

So they are growing. I knew they would I just didn't know if it will slow it down or make it faster. More info - I did top at the 2nd node. My thought is that instead of spending so much energy on new (pretty much pointless) leaves growing up one node at a time, it can use the energy to grow 2 nodes instead. Just a theory I have and if anyone else has done both ways, please feel free to offer your input. It hasn't quite been 2 days yet but these pictures are of the same lady and the group. All of them have grown a bit already but I used the same lady for reference. Am I right on track still, behind now, or ahead? I will keep posting pictures to update progress.

Comment

Your way behind - you should be training at the same time you topped.
              Had you let a couple more nodes develop - your plants would have had the start of branches which could have been trained.
              ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
              Mars Hydro
              Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

remember to feed after you top and if you are going to "top" again wait 2 weeks (1/1/2 weeks if you can't wait)

Comment

• dphipps1020
                  dphipps1020 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not feeding, using amended soil so I just water. Not topping again until I have my 3 nodes for my manifold. That will be another week or 2 I think.

Another reason you wait until the 4th-6th node is also so your roots can grow out. More roots = more nutrient absorption = faster growth = faster recovery. Way too early IMO. Next time i would wait until 5th node and top at third node.

Comment

My goal is to try to keep the 10 going in my 2x2' while my 4x4' tents are finishing flowering, without running out of room. I still have a few weeks to go on that. I would like to finish the manifold on them so when I do switch tents they can just grow for the next 2-3 months before I throw them in my 8x8' for flower. I did have a plan with this but also kind of experimenting. Trying to get the timing right for my next ladies so I will always have plenty going, in every stage. I have researched and read a lot on GWE but haven't really been able to find my personal groove yet. I feel like I finally am getting the techniques (even though I topped early) and I am going to stick with soil. I will probably keep my bubbleponic system going. I originally started with hydro but I keep running into problems because I don't pay enough attention sometimes. Anyway, thanks for all the input everyone.

Comment

Updated pictures!!! So it's day 45 from seed now and I have already topped a second time. They're growing fast and almost ready for bigger pots and the next tent. I realize they're short but that's part of the reason I topped just above node 2. I figure the shorter the trunk, the more I can grow the branches (in theory) and make the colas just a bit bigger. Hoping it yields me more with the limited height of my tents (about 7' tall). I will be topping these again in a couple weeks after they're in bigger pots and in my 4x4' tent. Just wanted to update you all on the progress. And yes the middle 2 are still straggling behind unfortunately.

Comment

UPDATE: have switched tents recently and just transplanted last night

Comment

UPDATE! Got a nice canopy going, now just trying to get a little more height and bud sites. Figure maybe another 6-10" taller and they'll be a good height for flowering. Also switched one of the 4x4' tents back to MH (500W) and going to continue growing these 6 for the next 2 weeks or so. The other 4 I'm going to keep growing, swap from LED to the MH tent and train them to be wider and taller. I also have a few clones going (not very well, I didn't leave the dome off to acclimate them before transplanting so they suffered a bit) and I'm going to do a side by side comparison with a seedling in hydro and soil. I feel like even with the small setback of topping too early, things are going good.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dphipps1020; 12-30-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

• Sledrock
                          Sledrock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          @dphipps1 You sure are an Ambitious Grower. BTW: Plants look healthy! Good Luck with your Manifolding endeavor! I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

• dphipps1020
                          dphipps1020 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am addicted for sure! I have 9 seedlings going right now too that I'm trying the quadlining technique on (about 3 weeks old). Figure that should cut off a couple weeks on the manifold because I will only be topping twice instead of 3 times. May do an experiment and do half quadlined and half mainlined just to see them side by side. Yes, plants are very healthy so far and I could switch them now but I want to get more out of them than my current flowers so I'm going to wait a little longer.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X