Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning Ahead - Anyone Use Down to Earth or Dr. Earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Planning Ahead - Anyone Use Down to Earth or Dr. Earth?

What’s up everyone! I recently rekindled a childhood love of gardening, having grown up growing most of my own vegetables. As I made my way back to gardening, I started consuming a little bit of medical cannabis, so here I am merging 2 things that bring me a little enjoyment.

I’ll be growing 3 autos (Blue Dream, Tangie and Pineapple Express from Fast Buds) in coco and perlite at 70/30. Right now I’m looking at starting off by amending the coco with Down to Earth Vegetable Garden (4-4-4) and Rose & Garden (4-8-4). I’ll be growing in a 2.9’ x 2.9 x 5’ tent using 3 gallon cloth pots with a 1000W HiGrow light off of Amazon with a 20/4 schedule​​​​​​.

Does this look ok so far? What’s everyone’s perspective on organics for the seedling and veg stages for autos?

Thanks in advance, this looks like a really cool group!

welcome, coco needs a "buffering" (couple of soaks and rinses) when its not bagged and branded "ready to use" but you cant really amend the coco beforehand, coco cant hold nutrients like a soil would, you need to mix nutrients with the water every watering to provide a stable source of nutrients for the plant

Comment

I just recently started using soil and so far I'm having pretty good results. I have no other real reference since this is really the first cycle with soil but it looks good to me. Been doing hydro for a little more than a year and keep running into issues that reduce my yields or kill my plants so I decided to go a different route. I am using a mix of Fox Farm's Ocean Forest (1.5 cu ft bag) and Fox Farm's Happy Frog (2 cu ft bag) as my base soil. I also found a soil amendment on eBay to make a bit of "super soil" for my bottom layer. So far I'm happy with it, all I have to do is water. Main reason I went this route is so I wouldn't have to mix nutrients when I water. The ladies I have right now are fairly small because I'm trying to get to where I have 3 cycles going at once.

Comment

Originally posted by dphipps1020 View Post
        I just recently started using soil and so far I'm having pretty good results. I have no other real reference since this is really the first cycle with soil but it looks good to me. Been doing hydro for a little more than a year and keep running into issues that reduce my yields or kill my plants so I decided to go a different route. I am using a mix of Fox Farm's Ocean Forest (1.5 cu ft bag) and Fox Farm's Happy Frog (2 cu ft bag) as my base soil. I also found a soil amendment on eBay to make a bit of "super soil" for my bottom layer. So far I'm happy with it, all I have to do is water. Main reason I went this route is so I wouldn't have to mix nutrients when I water. The ladies I have right now are fairly small because I'm trying to get to where I have 3 cycles going at once.
        After doing a little more research, I’m leaning toward Fox Farm soil with an amendment. What was the brand of amendment that you found on eBay? I have my eye on Nature’s Living Soil off of Amazon to mix with my bottom 1/3 layer.

Comment

RossHarold https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F131928114393 this is the amendment I'm using. So far I'm happy with it but I don't have a lot to compare it to since I've only done hydro till now. Comes with directions and the only other thing you need is earthworm castings. Only watering about every 3 days with this mix, maybe 4. Each bag will mix 1.5 cubic feet. I had a lot to make so I got 2, and mixed my soils first and then added everything else. Can't wait to show some pics with beautiful ladies. Until then, these ladies are about 2 weeks old. One picture was Monday and the other today (Friday). The seedlings are in my base soil only (Happy Frog and Ocean Forest) and are getting straight tap water.

Comment

• RossHarold
            RossHarold commented
            Editing a comment
            Those ladies look great. Thanks for sharing!

• dphipps1020
            dphipps1020 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you! And any time. Those are in my 2'x2' tent and I may run out of room pretty quick. The ones in the middle I'm guessing were just bad seeds. I pulled them from a bag I got at the dispensary, strain is Str8 Lemonade. It was pretty tasty so I figured why not do a whole cycle of those. Going to try to keep uploading pictures of their progress in the forums for input, tips, etc. I give them another 2 weeks tops and I'll most likely have to transplant and move them to a bigger tent to continue vegging, they seem to love the flat panel LED boards I have in there.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X