Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is using distilled water to mix my calibration powder a major no no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is using distilled water to mix my calibration powder a major no no?

The instructions for my new pH pen instructs me to mix the calibration powders w/ deionized water. That stuff is crazy expensive. Do I absolutely need to use deionized water or can I get away with distilled water?
    AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
    Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
    Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
    4' x 4' grow tent
    6" inline exhaust system
    Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

It’s not the same thing. I would follow the manufacturers recommendations.
    Distilled is water vapors caught and condensed. It removes most impurities but some are vaporized along with the h2o and condensed as well.
    DI water is run through a cation then anion bed. Or a mixed bed. It removes any particle with a positive or negative charge.
    DI water will be closer to pure H2O than distilled.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Depending on the distillation process, the chemical elements in the make up of the kettle and tubing will change ph of the water.. example.... many decade Ago we were experimenting with marine aquariums and instant salt. The base water had a extremely high copper ion concentration as the still was made with copper tubing. Being an invertebrate fish tank, they would have all died within 24 hours or less and copper is highly toxic to marine invertebrates ...unless you know the process used or can test for metals....be cautious

Comment

Originally posted by Farmall View Post
        Depending on the distillation process, the chemical elements in the make up of the kettle and tubing will change ph of the water.. example.... many decade Ago we were experimenting with marine aquariums and instant salt. The base water had a extremely high copper ion concentration as the still was made with copper tubing. Being an invertebrate fish tank, they would have all died within 24 hours or less and copper is highly toxic to marine invertebrates ...unless you know the process used or can test for metals....be cautious
        I can measure TDS and EC. Would that help to see if distilled water is doable?
        AMS Supreme, auto-fems from AMS.
        Using FOX FARMS Happy Frog soil in ~2 Gal pots.
        Only one VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V450 LED Grow Light is being used for this grow.
        4' x 4' grow tent
        6" inline exhaust system
        Growing in an outdoor structure w/ no HVAC system

Comment

• Farmall
          Farmall commented
          Editing a comment
          I had only discovered this because copper testing is normal for saltwater aquariums. When the copper went off the charts, I re-tested and then realized the issue. I don't know how you can tell unless the company selling the water can advise you

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X