Ph problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Ph problem

Is it ok to adjust the ph in the reservoir while the plants are in it 5gal dwc? My ph is consistently creeping up between my reservoir change (1 a week). I’m starting to notice a bit of yellowing on some new leaves. I’m using de-gassed tap water with a starting ph of 7 before nutrients (perfect 5.5 after nutes). I’m sure there is a lot of dissolved solids in the water that is giving me some buffering effect during reservoir changes. As the girls grow and get bigger do they affect the ph more? Will it be ok if I have to adjust the ph down a couple of times between reservoir changes?
    DWC hydroponic system 18”x36”x72” cabinet
    400w single ended hps (veg)
    7’l 3’w 7’h 600w single ended hps (bloom).
    Using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow A+B and sensi bloom A+B and orca microbes.
    1st grow OG 13 - 2nd grow Durban poison, Cinderella- 3rd currently bloom white fire og- 4th grow currently veg Bruce banner, gorilla glue- seeds on deck super lemon haze.

Yes. It’s ok. Just to maintain. If it’s swinging beyond1.5-2 then I would consider doing a reservoir change. If you are adding to adjust from 6.5 down to 5.5 that’s all good.
    Btw, chlorine does not gas off from modern day water. If you want to remove it, try a basic charcoal filter (like the one that Brita makes).
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Howdy Rj420, It is normal to have the pH change as the plants take up the nutrients from the water, especially when the plants are growing rapidly. I have had the pH change from 6.0 (at the feed) to over 7.0 by mid week (when I top off the reservoir) especially during the vegetative growth period. Only when the pH stays outside of the range of 5.5 to 6.5, for long periods of time, will it harm the plants.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

The ph seems to be buffering up about 3 days after I change the reservoir. I put a little ph down in the reservoir to get me through until the next reservoir change. I’ll keep results posted
        Using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow A+B and sensi bloom A+B and orca microbes.
        1st grow OG 13 - 2nd grow Durban poison, Cinderella- 3rd currently bloom white fire og- 4th grow currently veg Bruce banner, gorilla glue- seeds on deck super lemon haze.

Comment

• HappyDaze
          HappyDaze commented
          Editing a comment
          Lately I've been doing a partial add back program. I add 5-10 ml of Maxi Bloom to my topping water to drive the pH down and maintain a more consistent concentration of nutes. I'm running at 600-650 PPM with my Blue Dreams and they're pretty happy.

Rj, I grow hydro and I check the pH every morning. Mine starts low so I add pH up and then it lowers during the week. As long as it stays between 5.6-6.2, I leave it alone.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Should I have to be adjusting the ph down 1 point every other day in between reservoir changes? Are the plants using all the nutrients out of the reservoir and changing the water back to its 7.0 neutral state? Should I be upping my nutrients more? I’m using advanced nutrients ph perfect sensi grow a+b veg. When I change reservoir and add nutrients the ph is a perfect 5.5. 2 days later it’s almost a 7.0 ph, I adjust the ph back down and 2 days later it’s up again. I’m only using 6ml per/ gal right now. The guy at the hydro store said I shouldn’t go over 6ml/gal, but advanced nutrients feeding chart recommends using 15ml/gal during week 4 (which I’m in now). Am I just under feeding my girls? They are growing incredibly fast and look nice and green. So I don’t know if I should just keep doing what I’m doing and not fix it if it isn’t broken and they are thriving? I only have 2 more weeks before I’m changing over to bloom.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            My pH starts low after I add my nutes, so I raise it. It lowers over a day or two, then I throw in some more pH up. The roots absorb different nutes at different pH levels, so it's fine to let it fluctuate.

Don't add more nutes: just once a week. And be careful not to overdose the plants on AN nutes: I used to use those, and I always used way less than they recommended. I had to flush about every 3-4 weeks using AN or I'd get nutrient lockout. I strongly recommend that you give them a 24 hour flush before switching, and maybe another around week 4-5 flower. They LOVE the break from nutes and then the return to nutes.

Learn how to let the girls tell you what they need. The more time I spend really looking at my girls, the better I read all their signals. If your girls are growing fast, standing right up, looking happy, then you are giving them what they need. Yes, they will need an increase in nutes through around week 5 in flower, which is when I start to slowly lower nutes. Plus I sing to them. They love that.

Girls are looking good. Going to start adding orca microbes starting week 6

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            I can't see anything in that light.

Should I just use ph water to flush for 24hrs before I start bloom stage?

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can.... I find it’s unnecessary though. I just give them the bloom nutes with no flush prior to flipping them. Everything turns out fine for me.

Comment

I’m no pH expert, but I think there is a change in pH as the water temp changes. My issue was the pH climbing as the water temp dropped because I was using tepid water temp and the water in my tent was about 10C cooler. I’ve started using just cold tap water and now my pH seems to be more stable after a very small temp change over 24 hrs.
            There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
              RagWeedDWC commented
              Editing a comment
              The value of Kw (Water ionisation constant) and pH with increasing temperature is I think what you are referring to and that's correct. But I believe the range of temp required to make a full point change would only play a small part in the drifting ph. I fought this for years and determine to just adjust the ph after a nutrient change. Check it every morning and adjust to keep it between 5.5 and 6. I seems to stabilize a few days before change out and saved old brain cells....:-) from worrying about why.

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. Ph changes with water temp change.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X