Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a good idea to trim roots in a DWC grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a good idea to trim roots in a DWC grow?

It appears my roots are reaching the bottom of the 5 gal buckets. It looks like it's interfering with nutrient circulation. Anybody ever trim the roots? I've got about an inch air gap between the net pot and the water level.
    Thanks

The only reason I ever remove any root mass is if they displace more than 1/2 the volume of my container. When I ran my system with buckets they would always fill the buckets with roots. My current rig uses 17 gal totes with a single 6" net lid. I have to tuck the roots even on this system-just part of the deal.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

gbauto Thanks

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Not unless they are dead. My roots prefer to be left alone as much as possible.

Howdy smoorman, I would not recommend removing roots. If You are using a submersible pump in the reservoir, there are available water pump filter bags that will help keep the roots from clogging up the pump intake. I use a piece of rolled up fiberglass window screen around the reservoir drain valve to keep the roots from getting into the valve. The root will follow the flow (if any) of the water in the system like the pump intake and the flow from the irrigation lines at the bottom (or top) feed to the planter cubes. It is not a great problem because by the time the roots get that well developed, the constant irrigation is not needed as much as when the plants a new.
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X