Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to start flower, tent recommendations

Hi there,

Rookie grower but veteran connoisseur. Wondering when to start flower cycle. Read online that it can begin when the plants are four weeks old and seven inches tall. But i am a little doobieous ;-) about this. Also looking for tent recommendations for nine plants. all indica or hybrid strains. Not sure what size tent to go for. Also not sure what material to get. They seem to be built out of iron, aluminium, and a few look pretty plasticky to me. Considering a 600 watt light system. Also how big should the plants be before replanting into a larger container? they are in hard pots with a mix of soil and peat. Thanks for reading all this and appreciate any tips.

Starting flower should be in relation to the size of your grow area, plants will just about double in height during that time. As for your questions regarding which type/etc, it is better suited for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

I've really come to love fabric pots, as you will not have to worry about a rootbound plant. Although, if you're good about up-potting at the right time you can mitigate that issue.

Your timing should be based around your pot vs plant size. Unless you are growing 'Autoflower' and not "Photoperiod", in which case you can up-pot your seedlings into their final pot.

I may be a little confused, are you currently growing? Pictures are worth 1,000 words! 🤘😎.
    Meesta's Grow
    2019 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-meesta-s-grow

2020 https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ta-s-2020-grow

Comment

Hi SFL, welcome to the forum! Like Meesta says above, you have to know what kind of head room you have for your plants. I can only allow my girls to get around 10" tall before I have to switch them, because I don't want them growing into the lights. This is my grow box:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	roomie model.png
Views:	286
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	329082
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• GardenLady
        GardenLady commented
        Editing a comment
        alltatup...I am so green at this. What do you switch your girls too when they get to tall??? And why do I need a tent? Can't you just put the lights s in a closet or bedroom and use that???

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        GardenLady Sure, you can just set up a grow room if you aren't worried about the odor. I have to grow stealth cuz I'm an outlaw in my state and I don't want my house to reek of Cannabis. I forget what your situation is, if you're in a legal state. If that's the case, you have a lot more flexibility than I do.

But surely you've researched enough by now to understand that you have to have control over temperature and humidity and air flow, and that closets can be tricky that way.

What do you mean, what do I switch my girls to when they get too tall? I don't let them get too tall. My grow boxes definitely limit how long I can veg without doing a lot of training to keep the plants low until I am ready to switch them to flower.

I suggest you follow along on my current grow; I just switched one box to flower, and they are beginning to stretch.

• GardenLady
        GardenLady commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok thank you. I didn't think about the smell growing in doors. I hav to be careful too but I live in the country but not too many nosey neighbors..

Meesta says a good idea....I have come to use a plan that says” half the height of my finished plant”. I did wait for at least 7 weeks. They’re were about 30” from the floor to top of plant in 5 gal fabric pots. Given the clearance you may need for lights and internal equipment, the tent size can be determined from that kind of calculation. Last time, it was all unchecked. The 7 foot plants hit the lights and had no where else to go... this is so much more controlled

Comment

Hi and thanks for the tips everyone! I understand that when they are half the desired total height to make the switch. I am confused about another thing. One of these plants (mostly indica and hybrid strains) seems to be showing pollen sacs. The plants are about 7 weeks old from seed sprouting. I thought sex organs do not develop until the 12-12 cycle. I do not believe they are auto seeds but I am not sure because the seeds were taken from various dispensary bought ounces. And I never asked them at that time if these were auto strains. These plants are on 18-6. Wondering if I keep them on 18-6 will the male ever release the pollen? Thinking to clone one of the females and remove the male and use the pollen on the clone. Mostly for seeds. But not even sure which of the others are female yet or if they are big enough for clones. Thinking to set up a flower tent but have to make some moves. The only space available currently is directly under a wall mounted ac, which I do not want to block, and near a large window. The grow tents are black in color. Is it possible to throw a white sheet over the tent so it blends in more with white walls? Got some nosey and not cool neighbors over here. Thanks again for the advice! Will try to post some pics eventually.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Great!! The dispensary is selling seed-laden buds!!! That's amazing. I hope you let them know, and I think they owe you some free bud.

Who know what happened to produce the sacs, but get him out of there asap. Males will definitely release pollen.

• MeestaFeesha
          MeestaFeesha commented
          Editing a comment
          In my opinion, I would still toss the male out. If it's already created the pollen sacs, it's only a matter of time until they will open. If you'd like to produce seeds (feminized) you should continue with the cloning, and also purchase/look into using 'Colloidal Silver'.

At least, to my understanding, for feminized seeds you will want the pollen to come from a female plant that was forced to produce pollen. Although, I'm having second thoughts and do believe I'm mistaken.

Play it extremely safe and give no possible peek at what’s going on inside. At seven weeks your plants are good for taking clones

Comment

Do have some spray with colloidal silver and hydrogen peroxide in it. Not sure what to do with it though in relation to cloning or the
          Plants. Dispensary
          did me a favor with the seeds. Otherwise there would be no plants now. Don't smoke the buds anymore either, anyway it was only a few seeds per ounce. Not like it was laden with them. Will post some images here soon.

Comment

These are all from the i guess male. Got some clawing going on. Bottom leaves yellowing.

Comment

Different plant. Has both clawing and a few leaf tips sticking up. Want to clone but not sure which of these are females yet. Besides the one male.

Comment

Plant 3 also has some clawing. Hoping its a female

Comment

Plant 4. Again with the tip clawing. Slightly. Bottom leaves leaves going yellow. Guess they should be trimmed?

Comment

Decided to remove the obvious male (#1) from the tent. Sticking it in another room, for now. Until the clones get going.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X