Water level in DWC: first roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Water level in DWC: first roots

DWC 5gal pails; pH 6; Kelp Mii added to h2o; Aglex 1200w led lights ( @ 30” above pails)

first roots from seed are emerging from the basket. Until this point, I’ve had my water level just touching the bottom of the basket and have read mixed info about how soon air space should be created for the roots and how much air space is needed.
    What do you think is best practice?

Also...at what point should I introduce nutes? Is it based on the roots, or number of nodes?

cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Main thing I'm trying to avoid is keeping the media saturated(especially rockwool).
    You're going to be looking for a balance of keeping the most solution volume and not soaking the stalk.
    I start feeding as soon as it throws the first real leaf set. Once I have roots emerging from the basket, it gets full strength.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Hi YY, I lower the water after roots start descending. I start feeding around 25-30% nutes when they are an inch tall, and that's even more diluted by extra water. I gave my seedlings their first feeding yesterday, with extra water in the reservoir to "entice" the roots down. I also hand-spray the bottoms of the net pots with a syringe.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Howdy YYCannabis, I keep the water level approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches below the bottom of the net pots. I use a bottom (of the rockwool cube) water feed line. The bottom line can be turned off after the roots reach the water level, but, I usually allow it to run during the complete grow since I keep the water well aerated. The air gap below the net pot insures that the roots are exposed to the air. I start the seedlings off with 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of the MaxiGrow with 5 ml of DiamondNector per gallon (just what GH's feeding schedule recommends!) and I have had great results using the GH feeding schedule.
        Good luck with Your grow.
        Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Got any pics yet?

The varied opinions are probably the result of varied techniques, I'd guess. When I start seeds or clones, they go in an aero cloner in 2" pots then get transferred to 3 1/2", and only my seeds are in any media, the clones are bare stems.
          So if I'm growing from clones, it's easy to position them in the baskets with the stem well above the water line, however long the roots are, and the stem is just poking up through the hyrdroton, which is part of my air gap.
          Seedling in RW are a different strategy. They start in the cloner too, but the pump in only spraying intermittently, so the RW drains and the stems don't rot. I grow them in there until the roots are well out of the RW, because I don't want my starter media sitting anywhere near the water line or the spray zone where the bubbles are popping in my main tubs.

You want your RW or starter cubes DRY when you're past the seedling stage, or you risk stem rot. If you've got bare stem clones in hydroton, it matters less where the waterline is IMO. I've never had a stem rot issue with a bare stem clone in hydroton...RW and Rapid Rooters, different story.
          Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
          400W HPS Mag Ballast
          GH Floro - DWC
          Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
          - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
          IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
          Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
          GH Maxi Series-DWC
          Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
          - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
          - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

Finally took some pics. The 3 strongest have pale leaves. The smallest and weakest one is quite green, but still no roots (seeds popped July 23).
            -The 3 pale ones are on 1/4 strength nutes (MegaMass Grow and Blend).
            - Lights are Aglex 1200w LED @ 24” high (mfg recommended height)

i cant tell if they are needing nutes or light. Sorry for bad pics ...was using my green glasses as a filter.
            Attached Files

Comment

• YYCannabis
              YYCannabis commented
              Editing a comment
              Side note: my pH had jumped up to 6.8 from the 5.8 I had on Monday 🤔 I’ve adjusted my pH back down to approx 5.8 for all of them.

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              YYCannabis Unfortunately, I can't really see the color of the seedlings, so I can't comment. You're doing the right thing keeping the pH in check!!!

Is it normal for pH to bounce around after only 2 days? Does water temp play a role in that?

Comment

• YYCannabis
              YYCannabis commented
              Editing a comment
              I just checked my pH again. It is once again up to 6.3-6.7 across the 4 individual pails. Where I live, the water is hard and a pH of 7.4-7.8.
              I’m lucky that I’m at a point in my life that I can easily dedicate time every evening to checking on my garden. When I decided to try hydro I was under the impression that it was less maintenance that dirt pots. At least I only have 4 pails to deal with, so not a lot of time required.
              Last edited by YYCannabis; 08-08-2019, 06:36 PM. Reason: I just smoked the coma out of my glaucoma meds 😏

• alltatup
              alltatup commented
              Editing a comment
              For me, the time I "have" to spend in the grow room is always therapeutic; I love taking care of the girls.

When you mix your nutes and water, what does your pH read? If mine reads close to the max and min pHs we want, I will always adjust. For ex., if it reads 6.3 or higher when I'm done mixing in new nutes, I'll lower it to 5.7 or .8.

• YYCannabis
              YYCannabis commented
              Editing a comment
              For pH, years ago I use to keep expensive Discus fish that needed slightly acidic water. The pH was tough to control, but that was a full living breathing ecosystem. I thought it was just due to so many variables that the pH dipped and climbed. Now I’m thinking it’s just the type of water we have here.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X