Excessive heat warnings-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive heat warnings-

The past couple days we were at 90 degrees and my outdoor plants (at least the ones I can easily access and I assume the rest) were showing mild signs of heat stress but nothing too severe. I gave her a couple gallons of water and misted her once it got dark-

This morning she still was showing mild signs of heat stress but again, nothing I would be too concerned about under normal circumstances but...

Now we under an excessive heat warning- They are calling for actual temps of 95+ for the next few days and thus far they have underestimated the temps every time (for instance , yesterday they called for a high of 86 and we hit 90)

Before I would just cross my fingers and hope for the best but now thats it legal I can actually try and do something... I lost a good part of a crop to a similar heatwave in the past.

I dont want to drown my plants and have already been giving them 2 gallons/night for the past couple days of hot weather- I'm afraid I will mistake overwatering for heat stress and not recognize it (could possibly be the case right now idk)

Any suggestions guys? I'm almost considering digging one or two up and bringing them indoors but I grew them in lake muck (nasty stuff) and dont want that in my house plus I'm afraid I could possibly bring in insects and get them on my other plants- Although I've checked and I see no signs of any bad insects it could still happen... I would do this as a last resort though.

edit- Hmmm, Maybe I was seeing signs of too much watering- Or I just never go out and look at them at awn- I checked one and it was droopy and looked a bit wilty to me but I just went out and checked and it looks fine now. Idk...
    Last edited by Spellbound; 07-18-2019, 10:26 AM.

I am in the heat too, 99 here yesterday felt much hotter,,, my girls are showing heat stress also, I water late in the day until the ground is good and wet. The leafs droop at night as they are asleep, soon after sunup they lift and look well. I do have 1 I am thinking of a cover to shade her for the hottest part of the day.

Comment

The few and I say few advantages of growing in smaller pots 20gal or less is the ability to move them. This is now my way of being able to grow during summer outdoors taking advantage of the free light. Hubby and I only use 1 20gal and the rest are 5-10gal for the photos depending on the strain. Yields aren't as big but not into that, grow for quality and trade/share. We are not having the heat waves where I am in Oregon. But if I did i'd move to shade under tree canopy or ezup canopy. Early morning or late evening water, we have breezey days almost everyday. Last summer long hot days in the 90-100f have not had that this summer, pleasant here so far.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Yes here the daily temp averages 95 to 100. We have days that hit 105 a day or 2 a year. Go get a kelp extract supplement and it will help with the heat stress. Just make sure you pick strains that can handle the heat.

Also overwatering for sure can cause issues. Is the ground completely dry before you water? Here our humidity averages 80 to 100% so we dont have to water near as often as places with low humidity.

Inside during veg I water my 10 gallon pots every other day. When I flip to flower I turn on a dehumidifier.l and air conditioning. I then have to water daily as the humidity is about 40.
        You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

• Spidermite
          Spidermite commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh on the days over 100 I cover the plants with something to shield them. Now our fields of it we just have to pray or hope or do a rain dance or something since we cant cover them.

I like to use the kelp, alfalfa meal it does help roots during heat. I also give a dose of Epsom salts with the watering. My clone cuttings are showing some main stalk discoloring/brownish so I have what I think overwatering humidity going on. There is no air movement where they are so i'm going to move them into the outdoor area during day bring them in evening. They are now 8 days old no roots yet but they are green leafs and upright.

indoor/outdoor grower
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to

Comment

It is not the heat it is the humidity. It is common here to have temps 100+ for weeks at a time. My plants show no signs of stress at all as long as humidity is below 20%. They must have plenty of water at this time. When humidity is above 20% water needs to be severely cut back. Water goes from every other day to sometimes only once a week. A moisture meter helps at this time. In a high heat, high humidity situation plants may take 2-4 days to die of thirst and sometimes can be saved the last day. Over water in high heat, high humidity is a death sentence. Plants in high heat that are over watered can die in one day or overnight with no hope of recovery. When soil is wet or very moist in high heat more water does more harm than good. It is better to let plants stress just a little from thirst than to over water. If the plant looks stressed and the soil is moist do not water. Better to wait and see than to over water. Time is on your side with lack of water, plants die very fast in high heat and high humidity when over watered. If plant is super stressed at hot point of the day give some water down sides of container or sprinkle on top only. A plant that looks stressed in the sun and comes back after sundown is likely over watered. If too dry it will still look stressed after sundown.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes I totally agree. Humidity is the main culprit.

It's so friggin humid here today, I had to roll a loose joint just to smoke it!! (lol)
          "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

• desertdan
            desertdan commented
            Editing a comment
            26% humidity this morning and it feels like a sweat box. Terrible hard to stay outdoors.

Colorado is very warm. Was watching a youtube on outdoor growing a fella showed the wind just blowing these plants around and it's 106F. They are inground but man I feel for the large CBD/Hemp growers let alone us that grow just for ourselves. Farming is love-hate-love they have all my respect and support.

indoor/outdoor grower

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X