Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taproot getting damaged by itself at germination!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR Taproot getting damaged by itself at germination!

Hey there,

soo yeah, title says it all. Basically the taproot got damaged in the last 24 hrs (When I moved the seed from the cup of water method to the "germinator" [wet paper towel method] the taproot was still intact) by itself I guess as it broke through the embryo film-layer thingy, but this shit is happening to me for the second time in a row? Is this normal? Now the taproot is damaged, it has a small slit in the side, it doesn't look very nice to me, but the earlier seed that I planted with the same issue has been doing fine until I totally fucked up the feeding. Other than this it's fully healthy, big as should be and growing so I planted it today. But like what is this? I have never seen this happen. Am I doing something wrong? Should I start another seed right away? I have seen much healthier taproots before and this has also never happened to me before. The seed is White Widow feminised BTW. Has anyone had this happen to them aswell?

I've attached pictures. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS.:

Hey there all once again, so I feel I have to be a bit more specific regarding the topic and also it is quite hard to see what I am talking about in the pictures, as in real life of course. I have also checked the second seed with a magnifier, but I didn't photograph that unfortunately. Anyways I am sharding both of the cases now, with a small timeline aswell and have marked the place of the damage with paint. The second case is much easier to see on the photos.

The FIRST seed:

Sooo the very first seed soaked into a cup of tapwater:

Then 24 hrs later went to the wet paper towel ( no taproot here yet):

Then after an another 24 hrs a small taproot emerged, already damaged here aswell:

Please make sure to zoom in on the picture real good as they are 4K, I've marked the damage in paint, but it it's hard to notice. It's like a small slit or crack in the side of the root.

Then the second seed I was talking about earlier (This time I took my best looking, biggest seed) and I placed it into a cup of water:

After 23 hrs the seed soaked and the taproot already appeared (which I also didn't have before):

Right after this I moved the seed to the wet paper towel method, as I usually do (no damage here yet):

Then after another 24 hrs (already with the damage):

I marked the damage here as well and it is much easier to see here, as the taproot was bigger, please zoom in! It is a slit/crack here aswell, just like with the first one.

I have also added the pictures, so you can check on them in real resolution.

Lastly as a comparison, this is a sprout from one of my earlier grows, without any damage and a very healthy nice taproot, before planting (this was another strain aswell and the seeds were also bigger, as the white widows') [sorry for the bas resolution]:

Attached Files
    Last edited by MCsumz; 06-28-2019, 04:45 AM.

Hi MCsumz
    Imo it sounds like you are waiting too long, I would already have the seed in the second picture in its pot.

Fail safe method
    put seed in water in a shot glass over night.
    if it hasn't cracked in 24hour go to a wet paper towel
    if it has cracked in 24hr right to a jiffy puck or pot.
    if you have a 1/4" tail it should be planted.

You can germinate right in a pot and dont need the long soak or water towel method, it just helps.

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• MCsumz
      MCsumz commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Mr.furley

Thanks for the additional info regarding the method I have noted it, What I usually do is I soak them for 24 hrs then wet paper towel for 24 hrs and then plant, then sprout them into soil/coco for another 48 hrs. With this method they usually emerge from the medium and drop the shells withing the last 24-36 hrs so that I can start to grow from seed in the worst case scenario in 4 days +- a couple hours. But I understand what you're saying, I just didn't have any seed pop in the water already before! I also soak and paper towel, so I can see if a seed really is viable or not, and only plant strong ones, that kind of cools down my impatience and excitement lol.

Anyways I have updated the post with much more details, because I feel the slit/crack is pretty hard to see on the pictures without a bit of help! Could you please check them?

Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by MCsumz; 06-28-2019, 04:40 AM.

Looks normal to me...

Comment

Mr furly nailed it ,it is normal for the seed to do that and I didnt think it was damaged ,you can also plant the seeds when the tail is like the one in the first picture
      new grow room built summer of 2017 ,argo max tent for veging ,big kahuna reflector, 1000hps with added leds for the full spectrum . 15th indoor grow ,5 years outside gorilla grows(stealth is the key),veg under t5s growing autos under 300w leds
      current grow https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-new-grow-room

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-auto-vs-photo

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-week-4-update

Comment

Hi everyone, I have updated the post with more details!

Comment

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          your seeds are fine just plant them and stop worrying about it ,you can plant when the seed cracks and you can see the tap root , Mother Nature has been growing pot for a lot longer than humans and you dont see her worrying about how they look lol

• MCsumz
          MCsumz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes you're right, thank you!

I just sprouted a Widow Banger, and I was a bit preoccupied with real life crap, I looked at it, the tap root was an inch or so out of the PT with its starter leafs open (crap). What could I do but plant it? It was slightly attached to the PT, but came loose easily, into the soil, and indirect sunlight (window) for the rest of the day. The next morning she went to full on sun and is doing well, when I transplanted her to her final home, all the dirt came off the roots (oh sh!t). and the tap root was holding to the bottom of the pot (with no soil, tap tap and she fell out in my hand). I planted her up to her neck, and gave her some voodoo juice, she is doing well, no shock even.
        They can be saved even if they have no root at all,,,
        In short go for it! What have you to loose at this point?

Comment

• MCsumz
          MCsumz commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting experience! Thanks for the advice!

• oldjarhead100
          oldjarhead100 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ive had the tap root go though the paper towels but never had it start growing leaves lol thats way cool

Thank you everyone, yes I have been worrying way too much. Mother nature is the ace.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X