Question on LBH ScrOG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on LBH ScrOG

Hello, I’m on my 4th grow. Previously I have been using main-linging training technique with good success and I’m used to top after the 4th or 5th node and clear all other arms below the 2 new main cola.

This time, I want to follow the LBH’s ScrOG tutorial. I would like to know, once I top for the first time, let’s say after the 5th node, do I remove all the arms on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd node while keeping the 4th only or keep them all?

Anybody can advise on this question?

Comment

You want to leave all the side branching and top those as well. His tutorial is based on creating maximum growth tips to spread around the scrog.
      Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

My SCROGs never look as pretty as the ones pictured in that tutorial. Constantly monitoring every growth tip so that there's no apical dominance is just too much friggin work.

I follow the same plan all the time now, top after the fifth, take off every second node below it and defoliate all at the same time. That gives me 6 well developed main branches to work with. I'm never too religious about promoting a whole lot of side nodes. I train a couple dozen tips and upper side branches through the screen, trying to get it reasonably balanced. Then I pull the taller ones back down through the screen during stretch and use the lower side branches to fill gaps and maintain a relatively even bunch of tops. I strip everything below the screen to promote air flow. It's more like a well supported LST than true SCROG. They end up looking like Obi-Wan's current tent...that's a very full and well used space IMO, but it's not SCROG the way LBH describes it.

Here's my start of training, a pic five days later, and eight days later, which is about a week from flip. That "should" fill my 2 ft x 3 ft screen with 6 inches of overflow around the sides when it's done stretching. I say 'should" because I'm only growing this strain for the third time, and this pheno is really short this time around. I'll keep pulling down the taller grow tips with wire ties for another couple of weeks before I put the screen over it. It's just easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_160420[1].jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	316517Click image for larger version

Name:	20190615_171344[1].jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	316518Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_211254[1].jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	316519
        Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
        400W HPS Mag Ballast
        GH Floro - DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
        IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
        Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
        GH Maxi Series-DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
        - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advise.

Node #6 is out. I will top between #5 and 6 today, leave node #3 and 4 while cleaning #1 and 2. I will try to post some picture as well

Comment

I did my topping this morning. Easy peasy.

Unfortunately, I noticed some root rot. My water chiller is set for 70-73F, I’m using Hydroguard and Great White.

This grow, I added 2 supplemental COB and now have a total of 600w of LEDs in my 3.3’ x 3.3’. I checked my temperature logs and my tent was between 84-89F during the day. Unfortunately, my fan recirculate the air in the same room instead of outside which keep the temperature high inside the tent. I guess I will have to convince the wife to drill a hole to be able to vent outside and bring fresh and cool air in my tent room.

Because of the root rot, i didn’t trim any nodes except the topping between the 5th and 6th node. Should I keep node 1 and 2?

Comment

• HappyDaze
              HappyDaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Heat gain and venting, my biggest issues too....I'd move the chiller outside the grow space if at all possible. It's just moving heat from the nutes to the air in the tent and would work much more efficiently outside. Most places I've grown, I've been able to vent outside using the clothes dryer vent or a bathroom vent.

I take off every second node to provide space for training, but the result is a plant with all the main branches on two sides of the plant. I bend 'em where I want them after that. Use your best judgement and have fun. And cut off anything that's rotten!

Comment

I leave everything, unless I grow from seed then I took two of the smallest branches and left everything else. The trick is with the lower branches they need to be directed to grow up and out. I ended up taking a wire hanger cut it into sections and bent them into U shapes to desired length and propped the lower branches upward when the plant is young to grow up and out.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X