Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were seeded buds results of genetics or stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Were seeded buds results of genetics or stress?

Recently had a harvest where we found some seeds in the buds. Going through the colas we would find one or two seeds at the bottoms of some of the "bud nodes" when the colas were broken down. But for the most part they werent actually inside the dense buds themselves. Thankfully we were able to remove most of them during trim, we just had to break down our colas a little more than we usually like to. We had a total of 32 plants. All of them had seeds in them. Some of them had barely any at all, but one strain seemed to have way more than all the others.
    I am trying to figure out if the seeds were a result of stress or if they are a result of some unstable genetics. We do a 9 week flower cycle, that includes a one week flush. About the 7th week of flower the feed pumps got accidentally left on over night(ebb and flow w coco/perlite). I am hoping that this mistake might have been the cause of having some seeds and not the genetics themselves. But given that one plant had a lot more seeds than the rest I am also thinking that this one particular strain we have might have some hermie genetics in her somewhere.
    Does anyone have any experience with this issue, and also are the seeds that were produced good to germinate? If the seeds were a result of unstable genetics I would be less inclined to use them. But if they are a result of plant stress than one would think that they would be predominantly feminized seeds making them good to go. Please correct me if I am wrong on this. Any input is appreciated thanks.

PS: last round we had no problems with all of the same strains, and they are all clones from seeds we had popped and flowered with no problems.

I have run into situations where "feminised" plants have produced seeds (not many, just a couple in total) when there was something extremely stressful happening during the period when switching to bloom state... So if you did get seeds, then they are also likely to be female as well...

Comment

The seeds will be unstable. You need to back cross prior to pollination to stabilize the seeds. It’s a long process to grow stable seeds.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        But many seed sold by vendors are also unstable, as in a batch of seed produces 2 or 3 different looking plants. GG4 would be an example,,,

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        2-3 phenotypes is considerably stable. Granted, doesn’t sound like an F1 to me, but still stable.
        If you get 100 phenotypes from 100 seeds, that’s what I mean by unstable. Plus, the genetic potential for late blooming hermies increased with non-stable seeds.

[QUOTE=PS: last round we had no problems with all of the same strains, and they are all clones from seeds we had popped and flowered with no problems. [/QUOTE]

Then clearly it's not genetics, but some stress they were put under. And if all of them seeded, they were all under the same stress.
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

If the seeds are good and black, nicely colored, they most likely started 6 weeks before (seeds take 2-6 weeks), and the heavily seeded plant would be my guess as to the pollen donor. (making it the most likely to produce hermies)
        I would certainly use them, but not base the whole crop on them (I can only have 6+6)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X