Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toker1
    commented on 's reply
    HappyDaze is correct. You never want to store a meter in RO, DI, or distilled water. That’s one way to shorten the lifespan of a meter.
    I can’t see what the other guy staramus is saying, because I blocked this guy a long time ago.
    You can add individuals to your ignore list. I suggest blocking out any and all consistent spreaders of misinformation on this site.

• HappyDaze
    replied
    OK All etar.... starramus This isn't my house, I'm the fucking NEeW-be and you're the deewd with 1200+ posts... let's just ask NebulaHaze and SiriusFourside how they store their meters, in RO water or KCl or 4.0 meter test solution?

thanks for playin, sport.

Leave a comment:

• rcsaw
    commented on 's reply
    i will check it out, thanks

• rcsaw
    commented on 's reply
    yea kingfish, thats what i double check by, thanks

• starramus
    commented on 's reply
    No still not "nuff said". You asked for me to furnish the name of one manufacturer, and I provided actual photos of their manual. In a debate one should provide factual documentation, and you have not. I asked you to provide the science behind your assertion. I know quite well what the the higher end manufacturers state in this regard, but could there be a financial incentive? Still waiting for the science behind your claims. I have deleted some of my negative commentary which is not apropos to the subject.

• FatBoy40
    commented on 's reply
    I go until it is just moving by .01 either way or it stops

• HappyDaze
    commented on 's reply
    Whatever you think "value" is...go for it....like I said above...the CANADIAN MADE NutriDip meter I recommended, lasted 15 years....I never needed to "think about it" sport, it worked every time I picked it up (probably cuz I knew how to look after it). BTW....didn't the O.P. ask why his/her meters were crapping out and for RECOMMENDATIONS?

Talk about jacking a thread and telling people what they should do?...LOL, your hatred of all things Chinese is duly noted, gotta blame someone for the state the States are in, eh? How's that wall coming along?

Nuffsed?

• HappyDaze
    commented on 's reply
    Flame war?? haha...do what you want with your dollar store gear. Advising others to follow along? meh, not so helpful to the community.

Just sayin...

• starramus
    replied
    It even worked on this higher end pH/TDS meter which didn't cost and arm and a leg. You do realize that scientists have unlimited expense accounts?

This meter is kind of nice, because you can change out the probe as it has a coaxial cable connector. That is the usual failure the electrode. This is the pH/TDS-2983 Multi parameter continuous measuring instrument. (Damn sounds "scientific"!) I don't like getting into flame wars....Go do a bowl!

Leave a comment:

• starramus
    replied
    HappyDaze It seems you are determined to be right. I stumbled upon this solution myself, but later picked up this manual with a $14.95 pH pen. See attached photos. As you can well see the manual says soak in distilled. Since you are a self acclaimed scientist where is the "science" I requested? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0719.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	315994Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0721.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	315995

Leave a comment:

• Toker1
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed. You should not be soaking in DI or distilled. Just for rinsing off solution films over the sensor after testing.
    But not all probes are the same. Some have the fluid (no soaking required) and others do not (dry bulb = dead meter). I have seen $3000 professional meters turn into paper weights because some moron let the bulb go dry. This was at a hydro power plant and had nothing to do with gardening. More for corrosion effect on metal.
    Last edited by Toker1; 06-16-2019, 02:54 PM.

• HappyDaze
    commented on 's reply
    Could you name a manufacturer who recommends distilled water? No one recommends what you're suggesting.... KCl is what you want that's what's IN the probe, and pH 4 reference solution will work...at $10 a liter, it's way cheaper than a new probe....those "High end" manufacturers supply equipment to real scientists, not just hobby gardeners, so it pays to learn from them.

• starramus
    commented on 's reply
    Could it be that the “high end” manufacturers just might want to sell you expensive solutions? I would need to see the science to change my mind.

• starramus
    replied
    Some manufacturers recommend soaking in distilled water. I did purchase MA 9015 pH electrode storage solution, but I prefer neutrality. This method has worked on two different manufacturer’s pens. The results have proven satisfactory for me.

Leave a comment:

• HappyDaze
    commented on 's reply
    I think soaking in pH 4 calibration solution or KCl would be better. Based on what I've read, keeping a probe in RO or distilled is what screws them up. Oakton, BlueLab, Hanna....all of them say the same thing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X