Inadvertent feminization?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inadvertent feminization?

So I was thinking about things and stuff and junk and weed. It is nigh time for one of my plants to be harvested. Perhaps as nigh as tonight. Because of the length of time (19 weeks 4 days) it's been, I've been thinking about getting some autoflow seeds.
    But here's the thing. Folks say to expect maybe 50%-75% of regular seeds will turn out to be male. In the 40+ bag seeds I've started, I've had one male and one hermie. Damn fine odds. Old Head even gets a fair percentage of males. I know the seed's haven't been feminized. So I was doing a rundown of how I get things going. Maybe I'm doing something that's feminizing them?
    I germinate in towel with a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. When the tap roots get about an inch long I put them in soil and use the general grow materials below. And there we have it. Nothing special but I can't figure why I'm having such good luck.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

IMHO most of the seed you find in bags is feminized, the hermie that was hidden well in the grow. I have read that regular seed are 50/50, I most often get way more females than that, not always. There is also a way to encourage females over males, something like 14.5/9.5 cool temps, to the 5th(?) node, and a bit of N,,,

Comment

with such a small sample any ratio is possible, once you get over few thousand seeds you will always get that 50/50. for those wanting to understand more about the biology of sex heres the explanation of the 50/50 ratio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3dCWxxVhVc this is true for all animal (except hermaphrodites) and all plants (dioecious plants). due to the nature of the DNA and the XY chromosomes environment does not play a role in sex/gender

Comment

It appears the sex of young plants can be influenced but not sure about seeds.
        Ask oldjarhead100 about his methods.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          thats just a myth, many companies sell sex dna test and you just have to use one cotyledon leave and can be done in a one week old seedling

I'm not going to tell you the animals because y'all'll probably kick me out of here and ban my username if I do. There are, maybe, four animals that sex is determined by it's environmental conditions during incubation... in eggs. No, not chickens. Could environmental conditions affect sex as seeds are developing?
        More than one of you will google what I'm talking about. That's cool. It's still a valid point, though off the wall.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
          9fingerleafs commented
          Editing a comment
          yeah thats true, there are definitely some exceptions and some animals even go male to female then back to male and all kind of crazy stuff. but in my opinion new and uninformed growers may get the wrong idea, its very seductive to think you can do something to get more females, but theres a reason why feminized seeds where created they way they were: no "Y" choromosome = no males

Personally, I just spent the extra money on fem'd seeds and strains that are known to start with. IMO its easier.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X