Ph adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ph adjustment

Hi I justed started my first hydroponic grow and I got my resorvoir all set up with 5 gallons of RO water. I'm using 2ml per gallon of hydroguard and 5ml per gallon of calimagic along with very light flors series nutrients. problem is no matter how many times I adjust the ph to between 5.5 and 5.8 it always self adjusts back to 6.1 to 6.3 and stays there. I dont understand what's going on. I used rapid rooters to start seeds with hydrotron in 4 inch net cups.. running bubbleponics

Hi oo, and welcome to the forum. How long does it take to get back up to 6.1? With my previous nutes, I would watch the pH move steadily up, and when it reached 6.3, I'd lower it back down to 5.6; that would take a couple or a few days.

Now I'm using different nutes and it starts low and gradually fluctuates up, though it takes much longer. This is ok with me because different nutrients absorb better at different pH levels (as long as we're staying within the proper perameters), so fluctuation is a good thing!!
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

That's what's crazy about it. I had figured on the fluctuation over days but this is happening in 4 hrs. Another thing that makes it strange is that when I pre mix my water, the ph is at 5.8 without even adjusting it.

Comment

Water temperature fluctuations cause PH fluctuations. Gases can too, as described above, but the amount of fluctuation is usually much smaller in that case.
      Control water temps and PH is easier to control if everything else is dialed in.
      Last edited by Toker1; 05-29-2019, 12:28 AM.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I have pretty hard water, so I mix 50/50 RO with tap water, so I don't have to add any Cal/Mag, (yes I'm that cheap), then bubble it for a day until the pH stabilizes. Like Toker1 says, CO2 saturation will push the pH down, and temps really impact the gas saturation level in the solution, a 10 Deg F change in temp will move my pH 0.8. I pH adjust my raw water to the desired range, adding nutrients last. I get a 0.1 - 0.3 rise in pH when the Bloom is added, depending on concentration.

May I ask; when are you making your pH adjustments?

I used to pH adjust after adding nutrients, and I could literally see a cloud form in the water as the concentrated phos acid reacted with my nutrients. I'm not sure what reaction was taking place, but something was sure salting out of my solution. I wish I'd taken some high school chemistry, instead of smoking up in the parking lot with my buddies ... hindsight, hah!

I second what ATU said, at 6.1 - 6.2, you're still in the range, just don't let your room get too cool, or let them get too hungry or it'll run up.

Space 1: 3ft x 3ft T-Tek tent
        400W HPS Mag Ballast
        GH Floro - DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Green Crck from seed
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude clones

Space 2: 6ft x 6ft x 8ft room
        IponicZone 400/600/1000W dimmable HPS E-Ballast
        Supplemented with California Lightworks Solar System 275 with spectrum control
        GH Maxi Series-DWC
        Current grow - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream from seed
        - Humboldt Fem Blue Dream Clones
        - TGA GSC x Space Dude from reg seed in dirt, G.O. Box nutes

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X