Ocean forest soil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ocean forest soil

I plan to use ocean forest potting soil for my next grow 5 gal buckets 1000 watt metal halide/ hps and looking for thoughts about things to add want to add dolimite lime and maybe more vermiculite any help on amount to add is appreciated thanks Danny

If the plants are small or seedlings, I mix mine with happy frog soil because ocean forest is rather hot and can burn smaller juveniles.
    You are going to need to add more perlite after that.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Thanks toker1 they are established plants not seedlings how much perilite and what about dolimite lime

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I never added Dolomite before. I mix in about 50% perlite with 50% soil.

• Weed Pharma
        Weed Pharma commented
        Editing a comment
        ADD DOLOMITE @ 3/4 cup (6oz) to every 5 gallon container.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        ....Not for me.
        This issue is that it has a calcium to magnesium ratio of 2:1. I already have magnesium in my liquid diet, and calcium I’m my water. That would be way too much if I added it.
        Plus...Some dolomite products might be contaminated with heavy metals like aluminum, arsenic, lead, mercury, and nickel.
        I won’t even use vermiculite. These products can be dangerous to humans with continuous exposure.
        Last edited by Toker1; 05-28-2019, 11:09 AM.

I've used it for multiple grows without any changes but I'm fairly new. Haven't had any issues though
      2 x 4 x 5 grow tent
      6" inline fan w/ carbon filter (passive air intake)
      Two 6 fans in tent for airflow
      260w Niemi LED w/ LM301H

Comment

Same here - one grow w/ FFOF no amendments and it worked like a charm. Since it is a little hot it was no nutes for the first few weeks (grew from seed). Thinking back I may have add a bit of perlite to the keg cups I had the seedlings in (10%-ish)

Comment

I used FFOF for a few years. I switched to Roots Organics when I started getting Spider Mites in the soil and never went back to FFOF.

Comment

Thanks all I used ocean forest for 3 grows but last one ph runoff has been low 5 5.5 range so I was thinking lime would help raise ph over the grow thoughts anyone

Comment

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              I say keep your PH between 6-7. You may have to get some PH + to raise it.

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              FF recommends 6.3-6.8. You should flush if run off is higher or lower than the water going in. The PH of the water going in should be equal to the run off (which all needs to be be right around there).
              Last edited by Toker1; 05-28-2019, 05:39 PM.

my biggest complaint about ocean forest is by week 8 of flower, the soil seems to get hard and water doesn't pass threw it easily anymore, so to corrst this when i was using it, i added 20% more perlite, and 40% more worm castings

Comment

• Smokesteve
              Smokesteve commented
              Editing a comment
              Hydrophobic soil might have more to do with watering practices.

Thanks for the input I ph my water going in with nutrients up to 6.9 and runoff has been 5.5 been trying to raise it for quite a while

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I would flush with PH adjusted water to 6.8 until the run off was around 6.3.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X