Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

315 LEC/CMH question: Sun System 315 vertical vs. Jumpstart Sunburst 315 horizontal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

315 LEC/CMH question: Sun System 315 vertical vs. Jumpstart Sunburst 315 horizontal

Was pretty much locked into the Sun System light but found a crazy good deal on the Jumpstart Sunburst. Anyone with experience using either, both, or other opinions? Essentially talking about a $150ish difference in price between the two.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

No experience with either. I do know that horizontal bulb placement will give the most lumens because of direct light vs reflected. But horizontal lights create “hot spots” for light and heat. So be prepared. With vertical bulb placement you get a way more uniform distribution of light and heat (no “hot spots”).
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
      No experience with either. I do know that horizontal bulb placement will give the most lumens because of direct light vs reflected. But horizontal lights create “hot spots” for light and heat. So be prepared. With vertical bulb placement you get a way more uniform distribution of light and heat (no “hot spots”).
      Yeah, I am aware of this. I definitely have a preference towards the vertical orientation for the reasons listed. That said I am working between about $420 for the Sun System vertical orientation vs. $485 for the Sunburst, a 4x4 tent, and 2 188 CFM fans. So there is a significant up front cost savings going the horizontal Sunburst route. I am just trying to gauge if people are really down on the Sunburst, or find horizontal to be vastly inferior to the horizontal, or whatever other thoughts are applicable when weighing this decision.

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Right on. For a 4x4 a 315w light will not be powerful enough. I would go with the 630w if you want to light up that space.

The 315CMH optimally illuminates a 3X3 area, but some users report successful results in a 4X4. A 630 is overkill. Also the 630 is mounted horizontally if you are dead set on vertical. I found this site useful in selecting my CMH. https://101growlights.com/ceramic-metal-halide-reviews/ I went with the Grow Co with the Philips lamp, and am not disappointed. I am planning on purchasing a second down the road. Great light for veg, but will switch out to my HPS for flowering. Although I did flower with good results in a temp set up with autos in the basement this winter.

Comment

Yes I have one in a 4x4 veg tent and there could be more light there. Sure would want some supplement for
        flower. I have 3 in my 4x8 flower room and want another or two would be the sweet spot I think.
        still not bad with the 3.
        Last edited by MBVapester; 04-26-2019, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Comment

I bit the bullet and went for more lamp over the assurance of the trusted brand. Eek, a recipe for disaster but am hoping things work well.

5x5 tent with 2 daisy chained Vivosun 315 cmh vertical orientation and the philips 3100k.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X