Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save money using powdered nutrients

Hi Everyone,

I'm writing to raise awareness about a new nutrient option I found and started using. My hope would be that this could be added to the nutrients page here:

What's the "best" cannabis nutrient system? There are literally thousands of choices! Learn what to look for and get examples of great marijuana nutrients.

I'm not affiliated with any companies in any way and not making money from this. Just hoping to show others how they may be able to save money before they go out and buy liquid nutes!

Background
    I'm midway through my first grow and I'm using the pretty standard/recommended GH Flora Trio plus Cal/Mag. In Canada, I was able to purchase these for an average cost of about $20 per bottle shipped or $80 total. These bottles likely won't last until the end of my grow, and it doesn't include any special flowering type nutrients. If I wanted to get the recommended flowering nutrients, this would include:
    1. Diamond Nectar ($20 CAD per litre)
    2. Floralicious Plus ($60 CAD per litre)
    3. FloraNectar ($20 CAD per litre)
    So I would be spending more than $180 CAD in nutrients to start, and costs would increase even more if I start including some of the more popular liquid flowering nutrient products (e.g. Voodoo Juice is $81 CAD per litre on amazon.ca). Crazy to me considering how fast you will go through it all!

Alternative
    Moving forward I will be using powdered nutrients. Specifically I found 3 Greenleaf Nutrients products:
    1. Mega Crop ($30US for 2500g)
    2. Sweet Candy ($35US for 2500g)
    3. Bud Explosion ($35US for 2500g)
    As far as I understand, this is enough powder to last me years for around $150 CAD shipped. And I personally find it simpler to just weigh out some grams on the scale vs. using a syringe and tube but YMMV!

Anyways, I think it would be great if the nutrients page included more information about powdered nutrients. I think it's particularly helpful for new growers to know that Mega Crop offers a 300g sample where you only pay shipping. It was about $11 shipping to Ontario, Canada. This way new growers can save a bit of money at a time when they're incurring so many other expenses.

Hope this helps someone out there!
    Up next:
    [Insert your recommendation here]

Howdy ocgreen, I too am adverse to pay shipping costs for water. That is why I started using the GH MaxiGrow and MaxiBloom (one kilogram each at about $13 USD) in the first place and found that they worked very well. I do not weigh the amounts, just use teaspoon measures (level) to keep with the feeding schedule from GH. I may try the mega crop some time, Is there a grow and bloom mix, or is it one does all?
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• PhantomSulker
      PhantomSulker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have been using same GH nutes along with GH Calmag I grow in coco. Very easy to measure and mix.

• ocgreen
      ocgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on. Didn't know GH had an affordable powder option. Thanks for sharing!

Mega Crop is an all-in-one. I've been doing some reading and some folks use the Sweet Candy from the start (something about beneficial bacteria) or other additives, but plenty of people out there growing some nice buds with just MC.

Mega Crop is a fine nutrient line for Cannabis so long as you stay away from their bud hardener, Gravitron. That stuff has no place in Cannabis cultivation or food cultivation for that matter. I’d like Green Leaf Nutrients a lot more if they’d discontinue that product. I appreciate that they give their consumers all the information they need to make an informed decision but why tempt fate? End rant...
    Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

I'm not familiar with Gravitron but did appreciate that there were enough warnings to make a beginner like me stay clear.

My main concern is that one of their products is called Sweet Candy and the outside of the bag, which doesn't include any type of child proofing, includes bright enticing colors and pictures of candy. I'm going to write them about it because I think it increases risk that a kid could ingest this by mistake. They could call it a million other things and ensure it's easier to identify that this isnt candy or candy powder.

Other than that... so far so good.
      Up next:
      [Insert your recommendation here]

Comment

I find it cheaper to make your own soil mix and grow in a living soil. Recycle the soil grow after grow. Keep it simple most of the nutrients out there are mostly water read the labels do you really think one has a special ingredient powder or liquid form? Want to start cheap that’s the way living soil.. I think. No guess work just let the plant grow natural. Like it supposed to

Comment

• ocgreen
          ocgreen commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for passing along the tip to anyone who may stop by and benefit. I looked into living soil and personally got a bit discouraged by what I perceived to be a really complicated and expensive setup/mixing process. Looking back it's probably a lot less complicated and cheaper than my DWC systems. Plus you get to call your buds organic!

What I'm super-adverse to are the huge plastic jugs!! I use a Canadian line Future Harvest, and some of the nutes are powdered, which I really prefer.

It just makes sense that these companies would leave everything in powder form and do their part to quit plastic!!!!!
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

ocgreen you should go to KISS Organics they have the Clackamas Coot nutrient and mineral mix for your soil and it’s only 35 bucks also there is buildasoil.com compare prices on the mix them all you have to do is go to Lowe’s and buy lava rock for aeration and Canadian Sphagnum pear moss that complestes your soil now just water your plant that should cost you around 100 bucks. I Ordered my peat moss online then went to Lowe’s and found a bigger bag of what I bought for 40 online for only 15 bucks at Lowe’s. My point is shop around locally first. I thought living soil was expensive but after the initial expense it’s all recyclable plus less maintenance no cleaning resevoir no mixing nutes no ph testing and no waste of water or anything really. Look up Clackamas Coot online and you tube read it all you’ll won’t go back to synthetics when you realize all your paying for in bottles nutes is mostly water..

Comment

• ocgreen
            ocgreen commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Cali so I'm looking at the KIS Organics mix you recommended and unfortunately Canada isnt an option for shipping. And the buildasoil.com wants 65 for the mix and 130 to ship. Sounds like you may be from Canada too. Am I missing something?

Oh wow no I’m not from Canada. I had no idea it would be that much. Maybe you can find the ingridients in the mix locally. I’m in the USA.

Comment

I've never heard of Gravitron. Why the strong feeling's of not using it?

I've used MC before and heard the Sweet Candy can be used to help firm buds and improve yield but I've never used it.

What's the main difference between using Sweet Candy and Gravitron?

Comment

Gravitron contains a PGR that has been banned by the FDA for use in food crops. It appears that Green Leaf Nutrients has pulled it from their website, good for them!!

Sweet Candy is a flowering additive that contains Potassium, Magnesium, Sulfur, and sugars. It helps to develop the scent and flavor profile.
              Failure is an opportunity for improvement!!

Current Grows:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...s-jedi-og-grow

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-gorilla-grow

Completed Grows:
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ang-jack-herer

https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-northern-soul

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X