Subterranean termites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subterranean termites

Ok so i live in the sandhills which is basically the desert with pine trees and some water around in some places. My last 2 grows were cut short and didn't end up maturing properly due to subterranean termites. It gets so hot and dry here that the roots are a perfect food source. Does anyone here have any suggestions about how to proactively prevent them from getting the roots. Mind you Google says they will eat through burlap, other fabrics, plastics such as weed barrier mats ext. So not looking forward to another disappointing and problematic grow. Huge grow bags are very noticeable in their surroundings or habitat. Thanks for reading.

Wow you certainly are in a quandary with those dreaded bugs. Most recommendations are to avoid water accumulation, but you certainly cannot do that with a grow. Your best bet is to not plant in the ground. Possibly build a treated platform to place your grow bags on.

Comment

Howdy BMG420, Drown those little bastards! Grow in hydroponics!
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Originally posted by BMG420 View Post
        Ok so i live in the sandhills which is basically the desert with pine trees and some water around in some places. My last 2 grows were cut short and didn't end up maturing properly due to subterranean termites. It gets so hot and dry here that the roots are a perfect food source. Does anyone here have any suggestions about how to proactively prevent them from getting the roots. Mind you Google says they will eat through burlap, other fabrics, plastics such as weed barrier mats ext. So not looking forward to another disappointing and problematic grow. Huge grow bags are very noticeable in their surroundings or habitat. Thanks for reading.
        Treat the soil with a Termiticide such as Taurus SC a couple of weeks prior to the next planting.

Or set termite bait stations, you set the bait stations filled with IGR (insect growth regulator) such as Shatter termite bait which sterilizes the queen(s) killing off the colonies.

Comment

Go to garage sales or your local nursery/plant store and buy clay pots or something similar. I would dig holes and bury them so they are not so noticeable - but not all the way down.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Originally posted by Canuck147 View Post
            Go to garage sales or your local nursery/plant store and buy clay pots or something similar. I would dig holes and bury them so they are not so noticeable - but not all the way down.
            Almost all pots have holes in them and the termites will travel right through such and eat the roots before they even get a chance to grow out of the holes.

Comment

• Canuck147
              Canuck147 commented
              Editing a comment
              One has to adapt to their surroundings

• Canuck147
              Canuck147 commented
              Editing a comment
              Use a metal feeding trough for animals

• Gingerbeard
              Gingerbeard commented
              Editing a comment
              Should I put the trough in my living room or bedroom? Wouldn't that attract animals? Ooh! My bathtub. It has drainage and I never use it anyway.
              In San Diego's Old Town is La Casa de Estudillo. They have hanging a terra cotta pot that is unfinished on the outside. I don't know the inside although I imagine it is also unfinished. Inside is water. The water is able to seep through the terra cotta, keeping the water inside cool by evaporation. I wonder how something like that would work. Might be good in hotter climates to keep the roots cool.

Diatomaceous earth. I mix some in with my soil before planting and sprinkle some on the top of the soil a day after watering with a piece of burlap. For holes, not smart pot holes, make a paste of diatomaceous earth and smear a bit into the pot's holes. I'm not sure how I would address smart pots.
            No chemicals. It adds a bit of calcium. It doesn't need to be flushed. It works for all sorts of nasty soil crawlies.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X