No announcement yet.

Plant Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mr. Furley. I needed some guidance on training.
    Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
    Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
    36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
    4 bulb T5's for Veg.
    2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
    IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
    3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

Pictures are from last night, water night.
      she is right back at it only two days.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20190429_195801.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	308226
      And so I'm I, retired her and removed 4 leaves.

Name:	20190429_200458.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	308227
      striped all the weak twins keeping only one growth tip, usually the uphill one

Name:	20190429_200727.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	308228
      this time each branch gets its own clip and tie.

Name:	20190429_200520.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	308229 TOG #2 still keeping it flat.

Name:	20190429_205305.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	308230

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        "striped all the weak twins keeping only one growth tip, usually the uphill one"

Mr. Furley, Could you explain what you mean. Maybe I shouldn't have drank and smoked together.lol

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        Growth tips (nodes) grow in Two's, take the weak one.
        Usually the one grows on the underside of the branch, I take that one.
        Open picture two then three looking at the middle of the plant and the number of growth tips.
        🖒
        Last edited by Mr.furley; 06-12-2019, 05:38 PM.

• uncledoug
        uncledoug commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah OK I got it.TY

Looking mighty fine there Mr.furley

Comment

It has been a looooooong week of work so I shall catch up a couple things.

FCP clone after two days

Name:	20190502_194608.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	309612
        watered and training. 5/2

Name:	20190502_194915.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	309609
        on 5/5

Name:	20190506_030307.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	309610
        And repeat

Name:	20190506_030754.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	309611
        Are you seeing the pattern? I just move the ties from the previous spot to the end of the growth tip. This is when I talk about the circumference of the plant reaching the edge of the pot and that the plant is ready to be transplanted.

here is the other FCP clone completely different phenotype so it gets a different layout.

Name:	20190506_031323.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	309613
        this one grew tall so I'm going for less colas (10) and hope they are on the bigger side.

Here is it's donor FCP plants at day 42 from going into the flowering tent, not from first pistils but start of 12/12. Super fast photoperiod Plants.

Name:	20190506_021737.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	309614Click image for larger version

Name:	20190506_021946.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	928.9 KB
ID:	309615
        hope you enjoy.

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          The training pics are so helpful, Furley!!!

FCP clones A and B were put into flowering on 5/26.
        by 6/2 the FCP A was uncontrollably bushy so the cycle starts again.

Name:	20190603_212920.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	314057
        After defoliation

Name:	20190605_213549.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	314058
        This Fruit Cake Punch is the fastest flowering plant I have ever grown but the yields is small, off both plants there was 170 grams total last round, I'm hoping that a couple changes I made will push that number up this go around.
        Small yield or not it it some frosty buds.

Name:	20190605_213640.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	314059

Thanks for checking in.

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          After growing out both of these phenotypes a second time with this Training Method the yield was roughly 160 grams per plant, double!

Thank you for linking this to your post. No idea how I missed it other than I was taking those classes and they were excellent. The replay of class videos and material is available til next June and all I find myself doing is re-watching and re-reading.

These photos you’ve posted clarify several things for me. Particularly the flat top creation which I have finally achieved. And I am beginning to wonder about a side by side / indoor and outdoor comparison. I have seen a few giant outdoor plants but none of them have had those thick long colas. But that is limited to my minimal exposure.

Comment

@Mr.furley can you talk about the individual screens you have in those pics? That is a pretty cool innovation. So you give each plant its own "SCROG"? And re-tie to it as they grow? Looks like you can move each plant individually and still have easy anchor points. Am I seeing what I think I see?

Comment

billyboy the metal cubes
            AmazonBasics 4 Cube Grid Wire Storage Shelves, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0735CKD6R..._HAFzDb95PPG3S
            can be found at thrift stores and garage sales for cheap I use them for everthing. On a five gallon bucket to water, over saucers, on tubes, and yes you can punch holes in your fabric pots, zip tie them to the bottom and use it for a Anchor Point for a wide range of training.

I have got plant training to a point that I just tie them off to the side of the pot and haven't use one like a scrog for a long bit, if you keep a eye out you will see them in most of my pictures.

Farmall to achieve on the level is a great accomplishment and can up your game when applied to the whole tent, this is just training off the pot with no net.

Name:	20181120_171908.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	332979
            thanks guys and hope this helps.

Comment

• homegrown
              homegrown commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr.furley, how big are these pots in your tent? 10gal? thanks Amazing buds!!!

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              5 gallon

Hey Mr.furley, this is awesome stuff...im growing my first grow using LST. All is going great so far. My question is this..Will i get much more bud production if i top it as well? Does this just make the canopy wider/larger? And the bending till it breaks thing just freaks me out lol. thanks hg
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

Tent
            Bruce Banner
            Kushy Kush
            2Cookies and cream

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              homegrown.
              I have run two different strains, both had one plant that was topped and a clone(s) of that plant that was just LST in a spiral, the Tahoe OG in this thread is one of them, yield was 144 grams and it's mother that was topped and trained yield 147 grams. The other grow was the same way except the first plant was spiraled, the next two were a manifold , and the Forth was topped and trained per this tutorial, all yielding within 4 grams of each other. There is no benefit in my opinion to which way to train only ease of training and preference. Topping is less work by just chipping then all the bending in straight Lst or constant plant manipulation of manifolding, one thing is for sure you will get better bud products from one the three vs. A untrained plant.
              Suppercrpping is an invaluable tool, use it.

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              .......and it is important to remember that picking the proper Training Method for the pheno expression your plant is showing is invaluable.

Binder clips... Started using these of fabric pots....
            only had 2-3 slip off out of 60 or so

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              I use them alot.

Thanks Mr.furley, i'll give suppercropping a try next round. And what is Training method for the pheno expression your plant is showing??? Did i miss something in GWE?? thanks again homegrown
            Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
            Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
            6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
            Canna Coco/perlite
            General Hydroponics Flora Series
            Cal/Mag.

Tent
            Bruce Banner
            Kushy Kush
            2Cookies and cream

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              When grown out plants from clones you get the idea of what the phenotype is going to be like in your environment, you can pick the best Training Method for how that plant grows to maximize yield, time, and space.
              Gwe doesn't have a lot on Phenotype/genotype but I've seen it mentioned.
              This is just a copy paste, that a biologist would explain it best.

phenotypes. (1) The physical appearance or biochemical characteristic of an organism as a result of the interaction of its genotype and the environment. (2) The expression of a particular trait, for example, skin color, height, behavior, etc., according to the individual's genetic makeup and environment.
              Last edited by Mr.furley; 11-17-2019, 11:36 AM.

I have been seeing a lot of questions on defoliating plant during flower, when? Why? And How much? So I thought I'd snap a couple of pictures.

Here is two different strains both put in Flowering on 11/5. The one in the back is Mr.Furleys Tahoe OG, I have grown a clone from this plant three times and know the Phenotype, it is a strong growing plant that does not "get bushy" so I will not remove much leaf. This plant will only get some plucking at the 3 to 4 weeks Mark. The plant in the front is a New Phenotype of Bruce Banner and is are subject. This picture is 7 day after the 12/12 flip on 11/12.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20191112_203613.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	350231
            In the picture you can not see the soil/perlite through the canopy on the Bruce Banner and you can on the Tahoe OG, this is a big indicator that it's time, along with a lot of leaf laying on top of each other, Leaf sweating and excessive water uptake, transpiring and raising humidity.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	20191112_204557.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.49 MB ID:	350232
            I have removed 80% of the medium to Big sized Leaf in the middle, and have selectively taken 20% of the big leaf on the outside, pulled all the ties down to flatten out the plant. You can see the pile of leaves on the tray from the one plant.

here is were you get the middle of the plant to bulk up by open it up the air flow and light penetration, by pulling the outsides down I'm giving the center a chance to catch up in the stretch.

Here is the same plants 4 days later, i have done nothing but water/feed and wait. Can you see the medium?

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191117_004820.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.18 MB ID:	350233
            see you on the 3 to 4 weeks Mark for the next plucking.

Last edited by Mr.furley; 11-17-2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• SmashGuitar
              SmashGuitar commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mr.furley i am saving this to my favorites for my next grow. I tried to to follow a picture of lst in Nebula's LST training tutorial where someone sprialed their plant. By the way i am not sure where your from but at least 11 Canadian colleges and universities offer growing Cannabis courses! I am thinking you should be a professor!

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              That is very nice of you to say SmashGuitar I really enjoy growing cannabis and sharing my techniques. I would love to be more involved with the teaching, that is why I'm here! The GWE site give me a new prospect on growing cannabis that I hadn't done in years past and after being open to the idea of a cannabis forum I figured it was a good way give back for free. I am your southern neighbor living in a medical state surrounded by recreational state and providence's.

Hey Mr.furley great thread and approach. I always enjoy the initial veg and initial spiral training process the most. Your process, especially the part where you remove a leaf or two, gave me a lot of good tips.

I have a maybe unrelated question but what do you use to water? I enjoy the process of hand watering my plants but struggling with being able to water the two back plants in a 4x4 or even a single plant if it has a lot of plant toes everywhere or under a lot of tension from various bends. Would like to avoid a more automated system with lines to each pot with a sprayer nozzle on timer.
            Up next:
            [Insert your recommendation here]

Comment

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              ocgreen
              I hand water my pots with a small 1/2 gallon plastic watering pale, I water my pots in thirds and move plants around to reach all sides. I do have a Reservoir and pump system with lines for backup and vacation that has only been used it a handful of time and recently I have move out of tent life so things are changing in my world and I am making some adjustments this season but at present I'm still moving plants to reach spots, LOL!
              Tent growing is a challenge to water and what I did was move to a Three plant maximum at a time for flower in a dedicated tent, this would allow me to remove one plant and access the other two without much work. The plants can be trained to fill the space for the missing plant and you're trading inconvenience for efficacy.
              Some can't grow perpetually and run start to finish in the same tent, at this point I would remove plants and each pot was watered out of the tent also allowing me to trim, train, rotate and replace, this is a good method except for when you have a floppy plant and you're bumping them around alot.
              They make some great watering rings that stay in the pot and can be access through a hose, some peeps have use surgical tubing or plastic garden hose with a funnel to reach spots.
              Cleaning the vegetation and watering in between branches is a reality of tight training when you have height restrictions.

I appreciate the positive feedback and glad you enjoyed the thread.

• ocgreen
              ocgreen commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mr.furley appreciate the detailed explanation and glad to hear you upgraded to growing outside of tents. I think your 3 plant per tent maximum is a great suggestion and something I will do moving forward.

When you say you water in thirds, does that mean you would give 1/3 of total water to plant 1 then 1/3 to others and then repeat two more times?

Thanks again

• Mr.furley
              Mr.furley commented
              Editing a comment
              ocgreen
              Watering in thirds is 1.25gl. Pre 5gl. Pot divided by 3.
              The back third, overlapping the next third, overlapping the last third all the way around. If done right with the right mix of coco and perlite you get a completely saturated pot with 15% runoff.

You the man mr furley big appreciation to you nebula and sirus and the auto boys like stoney iv read and heard and watch alot of gwe its being benificial to me in so many ways thanks to all at gwe members and especially all the experienced wisdom growers im really am gratfull its my first grow and considiring ive got some learning to do they are coming along awesome i actually suffer cronic depression quite bad and its not yet legal in my country nz but it should be early mid next year and this growing has takn me by storm an also has really help depression not just medicaly but also active relaxing and compasion i really am just living it i have never studyed . Read . Watch or really acknowledging anything before even as kid i lived in bush nz with hippie huntn old man who had awrsome ways but couldnt teach me due ti his patince ahaha i really love growing weed for many reasons i am theroputically relaxn loving learning so a big thanks to all you experieced wise guy and girls really takn time to help and acknowledge and share with us all that are learning trying and experimenting and just doing thanks mr furley sirus nebula stoney and all yous yous are helping more than yous probly believe specially for people like me im just really blown away my mind body personality my partner has notice aswell so come on guys give them a buzz every once in while cause they really deserve it i know im gratfull thanks guys
            IO'D

Comment

Corogold your just gonna outgrow some of us someday. We just love learning and growing better weed on this site we are all very grateful to our site administrators. Gardening is just relaxing and we learn patience.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X