Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question for the first time grower

iam starting some seeds
    i put some seeds in a glass with some water but some of the seeds just flow on top of the water and some went down
    does this mean that the seeds that just flow on the water are not good and can be discarded OR are the top swimmers still a good seeds ??
    or are they dead ?? and not worth it to plant in the soil ??
    thanks for your help.

After I soak my seeds overnight I place them in a damp paper towel until there's a decent tap root. At leat half a cm. I only plant the sprouted seeds. Some seeds take longer than others to sink. Doesn't mean they aren't viable. Good luck!

Comment

Seeds that float just have not been activated yet. They are still good.
      I have heard of some people sand paper grinding the outer shell to soften it... but continuing soaking should do the same.
      Once water enters the shell, it sinks, and activates the plant embryo.
      4x4 600w HID empty for summer
      3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
      2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
      running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Thanks for the help
        great

Comment

Hi, i would firmly recommend trying to germinate a seed which may not have sprouted in water and/or paper towel.

I don't have a lot of experience but I'm 8/8 (100%) right now, and at least 2 of those had not sprouted by the time I put in a rapid rooter. Don't give up on them too early!
          Up next:
          [Insert your recommendation here]

Comment

I do it the way mother nature does and plant directly in the soil with great success. A little great white and moist medium about pencil eraser deep hole . 5-7 days later there she is.

Comment

I put mine in water for a day. Some float and some sink but then paper towel them until they crack and then they go in the rockwool from there. I have heard others say they leave them until they sink before planting and also heard of the light sanding thing as well. Good luck with the grow.

Comment

thank you all for the help

Comment

I fill a jar with tap water the day before, I do this so the water is at room temp. Then drop the seeds into the jar. I check on them often "just because I can". Each time I check I'll tap the floaters with my finger, sometimes they just need a nudge.

I soak until they crack or 48 hrs, which ever comes first, then put them on a moist paper towel and fold it over, slide it into a zip lock sandwich bag then zip shut. I like using the zip lock because the water doesn't evaporate and kill my seeds, and I have experience lol. I put the bag on top of the refrigerator to keep them warm. Normally they grow tails in 24 to 48 hrs.
                  Last edited by uncledoug; 05-10-2019, 02:41 PM.
                  Born August 1956.

Coco-Coir/Perlite Mix
                  Mega Crop Nutrients, Bud Explosion.
                  36"x36"x73" Grow Tent
                  4 bulb T5's for Veg.
                  2 VipraSpectra 450 LED for flowering
                  IPower 4" Exhaust and Scrubber
                  3 Gallon fabric pots.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X