Tent height question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tent height question

Im trying to figure out my grow space and light needs and was pretty set on a 3x3, but the 2x4 is a touch cheaper and fits the room a little better( not a deal breaker though).

My main concern is that the 2x4 is 5' high vs the 6' for the 3x3. Am I going to run into height issues? Are they common in shorter tents?

Lighting in a 2x4 would be the HGL 260w xl or maybe migro200.

3x3 would be HGL 260w ( non xl) or 315w cmh( for the budget option).

First grow started on April 17th, 2019.
    4x4 Grow Tent
    2 X 240W 3000k QB (lm301b). 24/0 light cycle.
    Canna Coco medium, 3 gallon fabric pots
    AN SensiCoco Grow + Bloom w/ tap water

Growing:
    2 x Mephisto - Chemdogging
    1 x Mephisto - Northern Cheese Haze
    1 x Dinafem - Dinamex

Chopped June 30th, 2019. Final yield: 716g plus 329g of larfy buds.

You have to take several things into question when considering the height of your grow tent. For example, the size of your final pot, the size of the lights you're going to use, the distance between those lights and the top of the plant's canopy, the length of the wires that will hold your lights, and the height of your plant. If you plan on giving your plant some good LST along with a SCROG, then you could pull it off with that 5' tent. I would personally go for the 6' tent just to be on the safe side and make sure I have enough height, especially if it's your first time.
    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

More height is always better, consider your pot height + your light at max height to figure out how much growing space U have left ?

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed to a point. Bigger tent is better as long as you keep at least a minimum of 6” gap between the tent and other walls or the ceiling.
        I made the mistake of putting a tent too close to a wall one time and the area created a hot spot inside my tent.
        So as long as the tent fits... I would go with the taller one as well.
        Last edited by Toker1; 03-21-2019, 11:32 AM.

I was not aware of maintaining a 6" gap! Thanks for the heads up. I think ill stick with my original plan and get the 3x3 for the additional flexibility.

As far as nutes, i was going to follow the growweedeasy guide with the gh trio +calimagic but I can get AN Sensi Coco and Sensi cal extra cheaper. Just go with the cheaper option? Ill still get the ph test kit, despite AN's no ph claim, just to be sure.
      4x4 Grow Tent

Growing:
      1 x Dinafem - Dinamex

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Depends on your grow medium. For Coco coir, I say that will be ok.
        Yes, PH kit or PH pen. What ever is clever, but it’s a must have when things go wrong.

You can grow in a 5ft tent. A 6 foot tent is better. I would go with the tallest tent you can fit. Even if its an extra few dollars. I have 8ft in some of my tents and its nice knowing I have the extra space. Currently I have several plants that may push the limits without supercropping. I use about 24 inches of the 8ft to fit the height of the light along with the minimum distance for the light. But I could have just as easily trained the plants to fit in a 5 ft tent if needed.
      You may win the race, but you pass all the best things in life on the way.

Comment

Obviously the light cant hang at the very top, so realistically the light can probably only hang 5.5 ft above the floor? Since the hlg needs to be 18-24" , minus the height of the pot, does that mean i can only realistically fit a 2.5 foot plant in a 6 foot tent? I'm trying to pick seeds, but dont want to get something too tall. Seedsmam has Girl scout cookies (65-110cm) and northern lights auto ( 80-110cm). Will LST ensure i can stay under my height max?
        I don't want to burn them if they grow on the upper end of height of the height range.
        4x4 Grow Tent

Growing:
        1 x Dinafem - Dinamex

Comment

• Potted
          Potted commented
          Editing a comment
          Topping + lst should keep her tied down till the buds get taller

I have height issues as well and currently growing GSC and NL and no problem with the GSC in my case but the NL is pushing a bit more and needs more training to keep within the height.

Comment

Originally posted by JayGee View Post
          Obviously the light cant hang at the very top, so realistically the light can probably only hang 5.5 ft above the floor? Since the hlg needs to be 18-24" , minus the height of the pot, does that mean i can only realistically fit a 2.5 foot plant in a 6 foot tent?
          Pretty much yes. 2.5' - 3.0' give or take.

Originally posted by JayGee View Post
          Will LST ensure i can stay under my height max?
          I don't want to burn them if they grow on the upper end of height of the height range.
          Yes sir. If you stay on them with some good LST you should be good.
          Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
          White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

Appreciate the responses everyone
            4x4 Grow Tent

Growing:
            1 x Dinafem - Dinamex

Comment

I keep my carbon filter above my light to exhaust out any excess heat that the air cooled hood doesn’t remove. Since heat rises, I suggest leaving room above the light for this exact reason. Doesn’t really apply if you are cooling with AC.
              4x4 600w HID empty for summer
              3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
              2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
              running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
              https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

This is a 2x4x5 tent with just two 300w LEDs inside with a Acapulco Gold 4' wide with 28" to canopy (with additional 6" if I remove the pulleys) at 85 days with bending and LST. Training is key ! What ever decision you make will be right for your grow, Good Luck ! Good Growing !!
                Last edited by Colombo; 03-22-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X