Calcium-Magnesium - Soil testing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calcium-Magnesium - Soil testing questions

Good Day to All; Had Cal/Mag issues with my last grow, in short by the time it manifested itself, I had real problems...That said, I'm starting a new Bruce Banner, using Fox Farm products exclusively ( Ocean Forrest soil- Big Bud- Grow Big -Tiger Bloom nutrients) I used FF feeding regimen per their downloaded instructions, Also I've folded 2/3 cup of Dolomite into the soil. My question, is there a "schedule" for adding additional Calcium, Magnesium(Epson Salts) while I'm growing ? Is there a product that addresses both Cal/Mag needs without toying with the soil pH? I religiously test my soil pH with a meter at a depth of 4", and amend as needed, but neglected testing the H2O runoff from my container. what should I be looking for? Thanks and Happy Trails

I assume you mean big bloom, which has plenty of sulfur and magnesium already in it. If using tap water, you have enough calcium in that as well. So good news, no need to add any cal-mag or episom salt into your soil!
    yes, you still need to be concerned about PH... stop using the soil ph tester. They are garbage. If you want to know soil ph at the root zone, measure PH of water going in and run offf water that comes out. That will give you a better indication of what soil PH truly is.
    For FFOF soil, they recommend 6.2-6.8 for PH.
    If your water PH is the same as the run off water going out of the container... then you know your soil PH is the same as your run off water.
    If the water PH going in is higher than what runs off... your soil PH is below the runoff reading.
    If the water PH going in is lower than what runs off... your soil PH is above the run off reading.
    Last edited by Toker1; 03-15-2019, 01:47 PM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

Thanks.. I'm using well water, very hard, I use pH down to bring it to 6.5 using test strips. I'm worried though about the issue with my last grow, the symptoms sure pointed to a cal/mag deficiency, I uploaded pictures to multiple sites, and that was the consensus. Could I be watering too much? As you say, Meters are BS,does that also apply to the "moisture" readings as well? My soil was loose enough that I never considered over watering.

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        I was using a moisture meter it had me watering every 8 - 12 days and the plants not growing. I put it down and started grabbing about an inch or so of soil, if its dry water, I now water at 2 - 5 days, and the plants have grown.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a crappy moisture meter. I have one that tells me when the soil gets too dry. Sends an instant alert to my phone. Works anywhere I can get internet. I have monitored my plants from the other side of the world. Great technology.

• oldnewguy
        oldnewguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you checked the ppm/EC of your well water?
        I tried using water from my well and started having problems.
        I got an EC meter and discovered my well water, also very hard, has an EC in the mid 700's (365 ppm).
        I started using RO water and the problems cleared up.
        There is a good write up on the topic at https://cocoforcannabis.com/

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X