New soil mold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New soil mold

I have an almost full bag of happy frog potting soil that has been stored in a closet in my house for about a month. I wemt to mix some soil and noticed some white mold on the surface of the soil that was still in the bag. The soil is new never mixed with anything, the bag was foolded over, sealed with a large bag clip and the humidity in my house is not excessive (about 40%). Can I still use this soil or should I throw it away? What can I do to prevent this in the future?

Throw it away,trash it! From my experience and opinion happy frog is dug from a garbage dump. It has glass and other trash in it. It contains all kinds of nasty stuff like mold and bad bugs like root aphids.

Comment

Hard to say if it is benificial fungus or harmful mold. I would be suprised if it was harmful mold.

Comment

you might treat it with neem oil which is anti fungal.

Comment

I would say it’s good mold. If your worried throw away the top layer and use he rest.. living soil will do that if your growing organic and see that it’s a good thing. I believe that soil is hot so maybe just the microbes and and beneficial fungus at work.. I would do like I am doing now and mix your own soil..

Comment

If it was mine, I'd stir it up real good and use it, that's good soil for seedlings. Some of the best,imo. Not hot at all, seedlings love it.
            Now if it's full of bugs that's another story.
            Good Luck
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

Mold in Potting Soil? - Knowledgebase Question - Garden.org I found this researching and it stated should not be an issue. Hope it Helps

Comment

Both are often found in potting soil. ... If the particles really are mold, all you need to do is spread the potting soil out and let it dry. Mold grows naturally on decomposing organic matter when there is no fresh air circulation, such as the conditions you would find in a plastic bag. Found this also! Grow On!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X