Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting nutrients - timing recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting nutrients - timing recommendations?

So, still very much a noob at this - I'm growing in soil Fox Farms Ocean Forest. I'm about 4 weeks in from seed - and they seem to be growing rapidly now - when is the best time to start adding nutrients, if at all? I was going to start with 1/4 strength, maybe once per week and see how that went.

Does that seem reasonable, or should I wait? Or does FFOF have enough in the soil itself?

Ocean forest is loaded with nutrients. You won’t have to feed for a few weeks.
    I feed liquid nutrients when the nice green starts to get a bit pale.
    If you don’t know a plants ability to withstand nutrients... start small and slowly work your way up to full dosage. Watch for adverse reactions in the leaves.
    I feed once per week.
    Last edited by Toker1; 01-28-2019, 10:59 PM.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

I was going to post the same schedule, but Toker1 beat me to it. You are a luck dog jackhoffa with the wealth of information available here to a new grower. Geez I remember the days of Miracle Grow, and no internet when I started out years ago. Your first grow will be a WINNER!

Comment

Originally posted by starramus View Post
        I was going to post the same schedule, but Toker1 beat me to it. You are a luck dog jackhoffa with the wealth of information available here to a new grower. Geez I remember the days of Miracle Grow, and no internet when I started out years ago. Your first grow will be a WINNER!
        Yeah, I took a stab at it years and years and years ago, but the grow was aborted while still in veg state. At that point, there were a few USENET groups and text files you could track down that talked about "Sea of Green", etc., but at this point the people I knew were just using bag seed and I would have had no idea where to get feminized seeds, and I'm sure I would have had a bunch of males, and no clue how to tell (and I don't think any of my friends/associates had any idea, really, either), etc...the state of things today are far, far better when it comes to access to seed varieties/clone varieties, tools and info.

The price is falling so much - I mean $59/oz specials? - that I'm not growing for economic reasons so much but just the experience of it. It strikes me as much the same reasons as people brew beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Toker1 View Post
          Ocean forest is loaded with nutrients. You won’t have to feed for a few weeks.
          I feed liquid nutrients when the nice green starts to get a bit pale.
          If you don’t know a plants ability to withstand nutrients... start small and slowly work your way up to full dosage. Watch for adverse reactions in the leaves.
          I feed once per week.
          https://foxfarmfertilizer.com/images...ish_3-2018.pdf

Is there a typical range of weeks that you notice them being pale? I'm about 4-5 weeks in now, and I'm not sure what is pale vs. nicer green. And do you see it on the newer leaves - per plant, I notice those are much greener than the rest, though most of those seem pretty dark (but I don't think too dark) too. Also, have you noticed some strains that do this earlier than others may? I'm growing five plants, but 3 strains between the three.

Comment

• Toker1
            Toker1 commented
            Editing a comment
            So no two strains act the same. Unfortunately there is not a bench mark like at 2 weeks or something like that.
            I mean pale, like the leaves were darker and now getting a lighter color than before. Newer growth is always more pale green to even yellow when compared to already established leaves.

• Gluteous
            Gluteous commented
            Editing a comment
            I also use OF soil and their liquid nutes. I usually start feeding at half strength around week 2 or 3 and fee every other watering. Never had problems with them. I started with the solubles and was happy with the results. Changed to liquid and saw a huge boost in yield. You'll be able to see any adverse reactions and make adjustments. It's been pretty fool-proof for me.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X