Still CANNOT get clones to root!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still CANNOT get clones to root!

I am at a complete loss. Several months back I cut 6 cuttings, dipped them in rooting hormone, and put them in a tray with a dome on a heat mat. Every single one rooted within five to six days, and now they are beautiful adult plants in their second week of flower. But ever since I have done the exact same thing and nothing.! Even right now upstairs I have eight cuttings in Rapid Rooter plugs, and they've been there for 16 days and no sign of roots. What is going on? The last eight or ten clones I took were taking weeks and when I checked one there was absolutely nothing going on. So I pitched them. Question. I have been reading that by simply sticking the Clones in a glass of water they will root. Albeit, it takes quite a while, but they do root. So I got myself 2 5 gallon buckets, put an AirStone in each one, got a circular 1 inch thick foam disc, cut clones and put them through the holes. That was a week ago. I'm not expecting them to root this quickly but is anyone had any success rooting them in only water? For some reason this business with the rapid Rooter plugs and the Dome just does not work for me. Again, a few months back I had immediate success with six pure power plant clones. Since then nothing but failure. Help!
    Last edited by Greenpassion; 01-26-2019, 02:13 PM.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the earth.

Auto's and Super auto's in Coast of Maine
    Photos in Coast of Maine
    Nothern lights auto, AK48 auto, OG Kush auto Cookie G3 Super auto's
    PurePowerPlant photo, Sweet Zombie photo, Wonder woman photo
    3 & 5 & 7 & 10 gal 24/7 grow bags
    Recharge, molasses, Botanicare nutrient line
    12(6 in each room) 450 watt Viparspector LED
    (2) 6" Carbon filter and fans
    House of hydro foggers both veg and 12/12 rooms.
    8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)
    9 x 12' Flowering room (12/12 room)

Heat mat,, is it regulated? or like mine and not which gets things to hot!

Comment

• Greenpassion
      Greenpassion commented
      Editing a comment
      Rwise, yes the heat mat has a dial thermostat. I'm pretty conscientious or at least hope I am about how hot it gets. And, I didn't realize that the Dome should come off after three or four days. That said, the first very successful round of six clones 2 months or so ago I left the dome on, but then again they rooted it so quickly I'm not really sure how long the Dome was on. I was wondering if maybe the rooting gel was old, or somehow not working properly. When I first used it I had not refrigerated the jar. So I started even more today, using a brand-new packet of clonex.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Put the tray on top of 2-4 pencils, so there is an airgap between the tray and heating mat.
      Yes, cloning gel can go bad rather quickly. Yes, it needs to be refrigerated. Also, the gel itself gets activated when plant material touches it. So only pull out what you need that round and only dip the stems directly into the gel you are using immediately that day.
      Many people dip the stem into the entire jar and don’t realize they have just activated the entire thing.

Clones in water will work... but your success/failure ratio would be better if you suspended the stem in the air inside the bucket and misted it with plain tap water using a water pump.
    The dome is not made to stay with the clones past week 1 unless you are having a really low RH condition durring cloning. I remove the dome after 3-4 days.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Greenpassion
      Greenpassion commented
      Editing a comment
      Toker1, I'm confused. I've read numerous times that would taken clones they have to be cut and immediately put under water so an air bubble doesn't get in this open-cut. So I've been hyper-vigilant about making sure that the ends of these aren't in the open air. I'm referring to the ones in the homemade cloning bucket. I thought air would get into the ends and that would prevent them from rooting or something. I used an air stone as I also been told that aerated water will root clones faster then still water.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Read up on cavitation. That can still happen underwater. Also run the risk of suffocation underwater. What’s good about the misters is that fresh oxygenated water is sprayed and drips down the stem. So the stem is allowed to breathe but low risk of an embolism occurring. I get 99% success rates with plain cool water misting the stems.
      ADVERTISEMENTS: In this article we will discuss about the cavitation and embolism phenomenon in vascular plants. Cavitation: Cavitation (L. Cavus, hollow) is the phenomenon of gas or vapour filled cavities in liquids in motion in a region where the pressure of the liquid falls below its vapour pressure. Cavitation occurs in xylem of vascular plants […]
      Last edited by Toker1; 01-26-2019, 06:26 PM.

Here is a good guide to follow when using rockwool. The only difference is preparation of the medium when using jiffy pellets or rapid rooters. But the technique using the tray and dome should be the same. Just note when using misters (aero cloning) no dome should be used at all in that case. And RH should be approx 50-60%.

Comment

Wow! I clicked on that link. That is way way more intensive than I ever could imagine taking clones could be... when I had my success with the first six clones it was nothing like that. I cut them, dipped them, put them in the plugs, and that was it. Maybe someday I'll go that route but but I doubt I'll go through all that at this point. A few years back I remember I bought a bucket cloner that had the Mist spraying like you're talking about. I had absolutely no success with it. I did everything right according to the directions and weeks and weeks went by and nothing and at the same time I had other clones that I took on the same day, and stuck those in Rapid Rooter plugs. Weeks later all the Clones I stuck in the plugs rooted and succeeded and the ones in the bucket were still doing nothing. This isn't rocket science. But this is ridiculous this problem that I'm having.
      Last edited by Greenpassion; 01-26-2019, 08:04 PM.
      We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
      8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it’s called the Clone King. I sent a link under the chiller link.
        I did the math, and making a home made aero cloner was only like $20 cheaper than this model. So I just purchased it outright. But yes, you can make one yourself if you have the time.

• Greenpassion
        Greenpassion commented
        Editing a comment
        Toker1, That's the exact same thing that I had gotten a few years back. And it was a total failure. That's the one I was telling you about, where I sent a bunch of clones up in that one and had a bunch that I just cut and put in the plugs next to it. I have to think about trying it again because it didn't work out. I really can't remember too much about that time. That was for my daughter, now deceased , to help her get away well anyway that's a long story but, I suppose I could try it again. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.

• Toker1
        Toker1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to hear about your daughter. I just couldn’t even imagine.
        So here is the deal with aero cloners. The pump inside the reservoir adds heat to the water. When the water temps get above 72 or so, problems begin to arise. That’s why I added the chiller to mine. Keeps my water temps at a nice 68. This gives the water the ability to hold more oxygen. Warm water contains a low DO content, which kills clones easily.
        I have been running mine like this for about 4 years now. I clean the entire system every 6 months (when my success rates start to go down). Been really good to me.

My last 2 clones, first was bug damage, and I stuck it into a rapid rooter. It had laid there who knows how long, was dark and dry on the cut/chewed end. Nothing but water, light and time, it is alive.
      The second was planed, I went to the kitchen and tasted the raw honey, swished it around and swallowed it. Then grabbed the can of cinnamon, and head to the grow room. Took the cutting, prepared it and stuck it in my mouth, worked a good amount of saliva onto it, then sprinkled it with cinnamon and into a rooter plug, shes alive, but not jumping yet.

Comment

forget all that fancy stuff, just place the cutting in a cup of water and change the water daily for two or three weeks, ive had huge success doin this, i just place them in the bathroom counter and leave the light on 24/7

Comment

• Greenpassion
          Greenpassion commented
          Editing a comment
          Lots to think about here. So right now upstairs I have three methods going. I have six or seven and plugs Under the Dome, 8 and two separate homemade bucket cloners, + 3 just stuck in glasses of water. I'll keep you posted

Yes, there are many many ways to make a clone. Just depends on how much time and effort you want to spend on it.
        The clone machines are most popular choice because they require the lest amount of physical work.
        To each is their own.

Comment

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not to mention, but when you are taking 50 plus clones every month... like I am, the work load can be can be quite costly in terms of man hours.
          The aero cloners are really the only way to go when you are dealing with those kind of numbers.

• Greenpassion
          Greenpassion commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! I'm not needing anywhere near that much. I'm talking like 8 to 10 a month.

• Toker1
          Toker1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah... I still believe aero cloning will be less man hours for you. Even if your maximum is 10 clones.

Yeah, there's no need to overdo it. Just use a clean razor etc to cut it and make the cut at a sharp angle, cut tge lower growth, cover in honey. Prepare rockwool qubes in pH5, 5 water, stick the clones in, put in mini greenhouse or similar put under cfl, but I use a 150W mh, gives plenty heat and light spectrum is great for babies.
        Marijuana is no drug, it's a human right!

Comment

This machine has worked well for me. I cloned a cutting 9 weeks into flower. It is infallible if you want to spend a little money. https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-CLONE-K...Qk~Q:rk:3:pf:0 You MUST clean this machine per instructions after each use.

Comment

I seriously am thinking about that clone King. Don't have the money right now, and I certainly wouldn't need that many sites, and I'm assuming I can grow 10 even if it's a 26 or 32 or whatever site clone machine correct?
            We belong to the earth.

Photos in Coast of Maine
            8' x 10' Veg room (18/6)

Comment

• Toker1
              Toker1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes... you can. They may make smaller ones too. But you don’t need to fill every spot in order for it to work.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X