get about 20% runoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COCO COIR get about 20% runoff

Sorry guys I am reading the tutorials, and maybe its a dumb question for most of you but in this sentence: Keep giving water until you get about 20% runoff. 20 % of what, exactly?
    Thanks !!

20 percent of what you put in. So if you put in a litre you should get about 200ml run off

Comment

• AndreeAlice
      AndreeAlice commented
      Editing a comment
      I got it, thanks! but how much should I put in every day? 70% coco + 30% perlite holds 30 % of water ?

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never grown in coco - but what I read of other growers who do, it is very difficult to overwater. I think you can water every day.

• uncledoug
      uncledoug commented
      Editing a comment
      Like Canuck said it's kinda hard to over water with Coco, I normally water twice a day to runoff, some folks only water every couple days, I've found twice a day works for me. The smaller the pot the more often I water. The first few weeks I only water once a day sometimes every other day. I've never had an issue with over watering, but did have a issue with under watering on my 1st grow, I was watering like you would for soil. There is a guide/tutorial on here somewhere, If I find it I'll pass it along.. Open the link below.

Last edited by uncledoug; 01-28-2019, 04:56 AM.

Only water when your medium is dry to the touch. Your pots should be light before you water again. Every 3 or 4 days should be fine. And just water till you get some run off

Comment

Originally posted by SirSmksAlot View Post
      Only water when your medium is dry to the touch. Your pots should be light before you water again. Every 3 or 4 days should be fine. And just water till you get some run off
      This is completely wrong when you use coco coir! I mean no disrespect, but that's the worst thing you could do to you coir.
      Coco coir, especially when you mix in perlite, is impossible to overwater.. Instead you need to watch out so that the grow media never dies out, water multiple times a day if necessary! If the coir dries out it loses its buffering and toxic salt buildup start to form.. And by the way, you have better success if you go for 25-30% runoff.
      Then you wont have to worry about the strange defiencies and symptoms showing up late in flowering, ruining your good day.

Good luck!
      Marijuana is no drug, it's a human right!

Comment

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry to disagree with you braincrash but you are incorrect in leading people that coco is a must to water 3 times a day.

They is a lot of Growers on here that for one don't have the time, money or ability to water that much and Many of us achieve great results with letting the pots dry out.

They is six ways to Sunday and water 3 times a day is only one of them, Coco coir is very diverse in my opinion should never be categorized as absolute.

• braincrash
        braincrash commented
        Editing a comment
        @Mr.furley
        I believe I never mentioned watering three times/day.. my point was never to let the coir drie out completely, depending on environment (RH, tempetratures etc.) and what kind of pots you use you may have to water multiple times per day. each time you let your coir dry out is a step towards problems in the end of the grow. I know this since I started out as a soil grower, and in the beginning I treated my coir as soil, watering every two or three days.. I always managed to pull a decent harvest, but I ALLWAYS ran in to all kinds of issues late in flowering. After I learned the proper way to buffer and use coco coir I never have these problems anymore, and harvests are both bigger and better.

I water in coco once per day aiming for about 30% runoff. probably increases my fert bill a bit but I like prefer the slightly higher drain %
      Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
      600W HPS
      Coco
      GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
      Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
      http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• braincrash
        braincrash commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, anything is better than getting salt buildup probems.. That bitch really ruins your day It does mean a bit more work and effort keeping your coir in great condition, but a medium that keeps it buffer and all benefits you get from using coir really pays off in the end. I hear lot of people say they use coir as it would be soil and get good results.. Yes so did I.. But not as good as I do nowadays AND if you start to lose the coco coir's charge/buffer or/and salts start to form in your root zone.. Well thats pretty much a lost harvest + with salt buildup /crystallization you wont be able to reuse your coir
        I am not trying to step on anyone's toes or be a smart-ass, but I have been there, done that and even bought the t-shirt.. I only want to help my fellow growers not fall into the same traps I did, and hopefully we all get more and better bud to smoke!

It depends on your pot size, and how big your plants are.
      You can grow monsters in coco, in small pots, but of course you need to water more often. As the plants get larger.
      In 5gallon pots, there is no need to water everyday,
      Read Nebulas articles on growing in coco, she treats coco, similar to soil, by watering every 2-3days. And grows beautiful plants.
      @Mrfurley does the same way, with excellent results.
      Its all about pot size ,an plant size.
      Cfls for a week or two
      315lec for everything else
      Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
      36x36x63 inch tent.
      6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
      Smart pots
      Molasses
      Autoflowers

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X