Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First grow - advice on getting seeds and a seedling to take off please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! First grow - advice on getting seeds and a seedling to take off please!

Hi all,

Long time lurker, this website inspired me to start my first grow of my own medicinal supply as it's not easy to acquire where I live

I've been following the Coco Coir tutorial and so far is going okay, but I have a few questions to get to after I explain my setup.

I've got a stealth grow with an old cabinet I've restored, it has a usable height of 1600mm (cut the bottom out), 420mm deep and 980mm wide. As you can see in the pics I've got 3 vents at the back, an exit at the top connected to an in-line fan and a carbon filter on top of the cabinet. Lighting is a 450W Viparspectra dimmable unit and 1 circulating hydro fan at the moment. Pots are 2 x 5 gallon smart fabric type pots.

I've started with 2 strains - one Amnesia and the other CBD Critical Mass - both feminised photoperiod. Initially, i placed both in Eazy Plugs (similar to your Rapid Rooters I believe), so far the Amnesia is a seedling (sprouted about day 5).

CBD seed 1 did not seem to be germinating, so I soaked it for about 40 hours from which it produced a small 2-3mm taproot, which I then placed back in the plug on day 6 or 7. I also got another CBD seed to germinate with the paper towel method, which produced its own small 2-3mm taproot. As of today (day 9), neither CBD seed seems to have much action (i can see if i gently open once of the plugs that i split to place one seed in that the taproot has grown only a little). The Amnesia seedling seems to be stagnant at the moment, it's about 30mm high at best with no growth in the last few days, I transplanted it yesterday into the main pot as roots seem to be congregating at the bottom of the plug.

I'm using the nutrient schedule in the guide (Flora Series + CaliMagic), with a little CaliMagic every day in the first week - everything is ph of abour 6 - 6.2, Yesterday, I started the Amnesia seedling on the "seedling" mix and am continuing to use the CaliMagic on the 2 CBD seeds.

In terms of light - first 3 days was about 960mm above with the manufacturer suggested setting (40% veg/ 15% bloom) at 12/12, since then its been 15/9 at 820mm above with 60% veg/ 30% bloom.

Questions:
    - I'm feeling like perhaps there's not much hope for the CBD seeds, would it be worth planting straight into the main coir/perlite mix now and see if they take off?
    - Should i be concerned about the Amnesia seedling just sitting pretty at the moment and not really growing?
    - In the back of my mind I'm thinking it could be an issue if the CBD doesn't take off soon in terms of growth difference, or perhaps that's not an issue if I do some LST?
    - You can see from the close up the Amnesia 2 small leaves are a bit off-colour - should I use plain water for a day or 2?
    - Am I over-reacting?
    ​​​​​​​
    Grateful for any thoughts/advice you can share to help me get this grow on a roll please.

Cheers,
    Cola.

Put a cfl on your seedling for a couple weeks give those other plugs same light seedling need little light and little water. Your setup looks good

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with 690, seedlings don't need much light at all. Cfls work great for young plants. Seedlings don't need much water either, just like a tablespoon or two everyday, is all they need. You want to keep it moist not wet, they will drown if they stay wet.
      Seedlings are sometimes slow anyway, at first, they are growing roots first, then they will start growing up.After the roots take hold.
      GoodLuck
      HappyGrowing

Thanks for the advice guys. One CBD seed has lost its taproot so I've put the seedling and one remaining plug together under a small 8W CFL bulb in a desk lamp. Just going with ph balanced water for the moment.

I just pulled the one seed out of the plug, taproot doesn't look really good, what do you think? Should i put it in the coir/perlite directly instead?

Comment

• Colombo
      Colombo commented
      Editing a comment
      Put it back in a wet paper towel, cool place, if the tap root grows out , cut a circle around the root if it grows into the paper towel and plant into a solo cup with holes and Pete-moss, water once put under light keep your fingers crossed.

I can't tell by your picture ,but it looks like it's still got part of the seed hull on it, if it does the hull has got to come off,
    I wouldn't do anything but keep it moist, not wet, and see if it's gonna make it, I bet it does, but if part of the hull is still on, you need to get it off.
    Then if it starts growing, stick the whole cube in your pot.
    Good luck.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• Cola
      Cola commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. If it does sprout I'll make sure to carefully remove the hull if required. The seedling went straight into the coir/perlite with the plug still on.

I think maybe I'm a bit impatient with my first grow haha.
      Cheers.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X