Bottom leaf problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Bottom leaf problem

first time grower. Growing Dwarf Lowflyer Auto in organic soil. This plant is 2weeks to the day from germination. The bottom leaves are disfigured with brown spots and have stopped growing. I want to prune them. Not sure if I can cut them off at this early stage. Also thinking about just cutting the leaves in half leaving the healthy portion. I don’t want the plant to be wasting energy here. I was spray watering the plant when it was younger and keeping it in a dome. In hindsight I think this caused this issue. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Amatuerhour; 01-09-2019, 09:05 PM.

Here’s some photos of the plant. I moved the light (275w mh) (24hr light cycle) closer to the seedling to speed up the growth and raise the temp(28c now) It seems to be growing good except the bottom leaves.

Comment

Hi Amatuerhour
      Don't cut a thing yet. How close is your light? You should start it at 16" and drop it a little each day to about 12". Hold off on spraying especially with lights on, and don't overwater it.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• Amatuerhour
        Amatuerhour commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m at 18”. Was at 20” my temp at plant increased by 6c with the drop. Ok. So am I thinking right that once the main stock is solid that I should prune this off?

• Amatuerhour
        Amatuerhour commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks RF

• Mr.furley
        Mr.furley commented
        Editing a comment
        Just let them stay and if they die they will fall off. After your plant has three sets of multiple finger leaves and you see that the discoloration isn't spreading, then you can take off your ugly leaf.

Thanks RF. I will post again when I get those leaves with new pictures and I will lower the light. Cheers

Comment

Made a mistake last week it’s a 250 w MH.

Comment

• Mr.furley
          Mr.furley commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks to have picked up the pace. What mistake?

I thought I had 275w MH but it’s 250w

Comment

Whenever the plant grows to where it’s 10” away from the light I’ve been raising the light to 11” from the top of the plant.

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds fine and your plants new growth looks healthy so keep doing what you are doing. Can I ask how much water you give and how often?

1 cup a day. 1/2 within what would be the natural drip line and the other 1/2 to the surrounding area so the roots have some moisture to reach for

Comment

Make sure as your plant grows you start giving more water, less often, to runoff. Once your leaves have reached the outside of your pots, your roots have too and by water a little amount everyday it can cause new growers some overwatering issues down the road. One of the sure signs of overwatering is droopy leaves. The leaf should for the most Part lay flat horizontally, and even "pray" a little upwards. Wet soil/ medium can cause root problems by not letting oxygen in and essentially drowning your plant.

Just thought I would bring it to your attention after seeing the leaf curl and wet soil, No need to panic but start reading up on watering cannabis, Here is a great article

Learn everything you need to know about watering your cannabis plants. No more guessing or worrying!

Picture of a healthy leaf system, leaves are "praying"
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20190114_213732.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	284075

Thanks for the update and keep us posted on you grow.

You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

Ok. 2 days ago the leaves were pointing up. This is the second day with them slightly drooping. I think every other day will be better. Also I will use th knuckle method. Thanks RF.

Comment

Woke up this morning and the leaves were already pointing up again

Comment

Good start! Those two sickly leaves are useless - I would cut them off - BUT - leave the two cotyledon leaves(the rounder ones) alone, do not cut them.
                  I say this - cut - cuz your plant looks real good - the plant is wasting its energy trying to help those first two leaves.
                  ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
                  Mars Hydro
                  Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Amatuerhour
                    Amatuerhour commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I trimmed off the damaged leaves today

I noticed new growth sprouting from the bottom leaves. I’m gonna give them TIL the end of the week then if they don’t do anything I will look at it again. It seems to me that the second row of leaves should be tri leaves which they are but the third row is tri leaf as well. I thought they would be 5 leafers but they’re tri. Looks like the next row is a 5 leafer. I don’t want the plant to waste any energy on useless leaves but at the same time the plant is pretty small to be pruning I would hate to damage it. If these other nodes do something it will be easier to know exactly where to cut as most of my pruning experience has been with trees.

Comment

My main concern is illustrated in the photo. I’m just not sure where the healthiest place to trim is?

Comment

Should I pinch the leaf off and let fate decide?

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X