Looking for opinions on clones vs moms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for opinions on clones vs moms

Just wondering what thought are on taking clones from clones instead of keeping a mom. Will prob change up strains every few harvest anyways as i just grow 16 sites for my self. Will be easier to take clones than keep a mom is why im asking. Thanks

Both work just fine, if you take clones right before flowering and then veg those clones and clone them again before flowering that’s just like “refresh” a mother, often, when a mom gets too big and too rooted you have to take a new clone anyway so if you plan it right it work perfectly. I don’t keep the same mom for more than a few months because if you want the plant to stay healthy and vigorous it has to be growing. So to keep her under control I’ve been cloning every month and leaving one clone to take clones next time, I don’t even flower the moms cause I take all the branches away.

Comment

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bud. Reassurance is always good

You can do that to a point. Genetic variation increases with every generation of clone taken in this way. Eventually you can end up with less desirable qualities than the clone doner had.
    I keep bonsai mother plants that never get too big. I can pull clones every 2 weeks from them, and I keep them healthy for years. Besides maintenance on branches to keep the size down, once per year (for 1 gal containers) I cut the roots and replant the root ball in fresh soil. Takes them a week or two to fully recover... but keeps them healthy for the next year.
    4x4 600w HID empty for summer
    3x3 400w HID with Bruce Banner and Skywalker Kush
    2x2 65w Quantum Board LED with 4 mother strains
    running all simultaneously for a perpetual harvests.
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...hash-adventure

Comment

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      9fingerleafs I didn’t say genetic degradation of mother plants. I said genetic variation from cloning clones. The drift happens in the clones themselves, not the mothers.
      After a few generations of cloning clones from other clones... your genetic variation potential increases. Eventually your future clones can end up with different genetic qualities than their donors.

• Toker1
      Toker1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just try to remember that the genetic copies (a clone) is not an exact replica of the mother. It’s close... but the further you go along cloning clones... the more likely you will experience other mutations.

• HatRack
      HatRack commented
      Editing a comment
      i hear what your both sayin and appreciate the advice i think for me i will be fine like is said i will most likely be switching strains every few batches anyways so i dont think i would have to worry to much and i may end up keeping moms anyways will see what happens. Thanks

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X