Clear All

Should I cut off the bad leaves

Comment

I am using Miracle Grow potting soil. Opinions please

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Btw you could be having issues because the miracle grow soil, don’t panic and be patient

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep the Miracle grow, is your problem, it ain't your lights. But if your gonna keep her in it, I wouldn't do anything either. But you can count on your leaves to stay dark green, with some clawing on the tips, and looking bad, from all the time released Nitrogen in your soil.
        You might want to read what Nebula says about using Miracle Grow, in one of her tutorials.
        Also read what she says about using cfl, lights.

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        Miracle Grow is your problem.

GlennFHoward

That is what I was suspecting, Home depot Best potting soil is the worst choice for cannabis so in the future put your girls in some Fox Farm soil from a plant nursery.

https://www.growweedeasy.com/miracle...wing-marijuana

I have read around the Internet some bits that say it can be done and sounds like you have grown once in it, but you will find that the plants will do a lot better and yield higher in the proper medium. At this point there is three auctions to conside, two of them will help your plants.

1) do nothing and get what you get.

2) flush alot of water through your pots and start feeding Liquid Fertilizer, this isn't guaranteed to remove all of the slow release nitrogen.

3) Remove the soil by transplanting and root washing into a better suited soil. It has been suggested to others in Miracle Grow on here and successfully done though it could stunt your plants for a little while and You have to be care with this one not to kill your plants

In thirty years of growing cannabis I have heard from hippies to hand books say that you do not want to use Miracle Grow soil for Cannabis I personally won't use the product at all.

Good luck with your plants

Last edited by Mr.furley; 12-28-2018, 02:02 PM.
      You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm with MrFurley , if you got access to some good soil, I'd get her into it, after you have washed her roots off, real good, it probably will slow her down a few days, but she will be a nice plant, come harvest time.
        HappyGrowing

I will dump the miracle grow today......thanks for helping me.

Comment

The plants were a lost cause. I dumped them, dumped the Miracle Grow and started over. Guessing we learn best from our worst mistakes. Every thing else I did gave me an excellent harvest last time. My new recipe: 3x4 growing area, six three gallon pots, best potting soil (not medical grow), two sixty watt, CFLs and four 20 Watt LEDs, at six inches with reflective walls and a Computer fan for circulation running 12 on and 12 off. Temp 75 to 85. Opinions appreciated and I appreciate all the help.

Comment

My new plan: 3 x 4 area lined with reflective alum foil. Bathroom closet. One 60 watt CFL and one 100 watt LED, Both with cheap aluminum reflectors. Distance to seedlings 15 inches.
          soil mixture: no more than 10% Miracle Grow, 20% sand and 70% black dirt. Lights 12 on and 12 off. Moisture checked bf watering. Ok, I’m getting gun shy. Any opinions really appreciated!

Comment

• Mr.furley
            Mr.furley commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't be Gun shy, you have and can do this.
            First, Miracle Grow rrrrrrrrr. If you're needing something for nutrients I would suggest against it of course but if you got to use it cuz it's the only thing you can find look at the line that are made for cactus.
            Cheap aluminum reflectors can be made from roaster pans from the grocery store.

How many lumens are best at the leaf? I use 50 W CFL, two 20w LEDs and. 60w LED spot light all at 12 inches with a fan in a 3 x 3 (4 pots) space on 18/6
          with a phone app light meter I’m getting 350 lumens at the leaf (seedlings) this newbie appreciates opinions.

Comment

Led need to be a little higher then CFL from your plants. CFLs can be with a couple inchs while LEDs need a foot or so. You will also need a par meter not a lux meter to check LED efficiency so your phone app is probably not picking it up.
            Once your plants have a couple sets of leaves 30,000 Lux is the number you're looking for Optimum veg growth and 70000 to 80000 Lux for flowering have been at the top of what a cannabis plant can take,.
            A general rule of thumb with CFLs, HID, and actual draw Watts from the wall LED is 40 to 50 watts per square foot.
            for example I use 180 watts of cfls for seedlings in young veg in a 2 x 2 area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181206_184203.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	282275
            and a 600 watt HPS in a 3 by 4 area. The more watts you get the happier your plants will be.
            good luck and happy growing
            You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

How do you feel about fish emulsion for fertilizer. Deluted 2 table spoons per gallon of water. Dosed once a week?

Comment

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                Fish emulsions are a good choice for fertilizer however I can't advise you on the dosage and frequency. Have you check your local Walmart for Alaska fish fertilizer and the Earth Juice line? Good Liquid Fertilizer readily available, my hydro store sells Earth Juice for twice the price.

My new plants are just a week old and doing well. I will dose one on a dilution of 2 table spoons per gallon of fish emulsion per gallon. I downloaded a LUZ app and
              my 100 LED flood light, two 20 watt LEDs and 100 watt CFL all set at 8 inches plus a small computer fan, are doing the trick. Plenty of light Opinions always appreciated.

Comment

• Mr.furley
                Mr.furley commented
                Editing a comment
                That sound great GlennFHoward
                Glad to hear things are better and remember we do love pictures if you can.

D.A.A.S: I have tried to order from New 420 Seeds....what a royal pain in the ass.. emails and site NOT REGISTERED PER GOOGLE!
              There was no click to place (click) an order. A very frustrating site. My emails to them were all returned! What’s up with this?
              Do you have an email address for them?

Comment

Trying to erase please

Comment

Mr. Furley, Where do you get your seeds? Glenn
                  P.S. New420seeds is a disaster

Comment

Mr. Furley, Where do you get your seeds? Glenn
                  P.S. New420seeds is a disaster

Comment

Called Paul, hopefully things are straightened out. Will let you know. Also, have you tried cow manure. I started using a combo of black yard dirt, sand, fireplace ash and cow manure for my ornamental plants. It gave them a boost in only a few days. Thinking about starting a few “special” plants with it. Will start the seeds in wet paper towel/dark closet. Opinions?

Comment

• Canuck147
                      Canuck147 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would research that a bit more. I pay $30 Canadian for Promix HP soil - easy to use. HP stands for high porosity - which means it has lots of perlite. That's something you should add - perlite or some other buffer. Allows the roots to breathe.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X