Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seedling nutrients - did I overdo nutrients?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Seedling nutrients - did I overdo nutrients?

Hello all!

I've started on my 2nd grow in RDWC after finishing the first, but now armed with experience and the knowledge & help of fellow community members.

Its now 8 days since soaking the seeds (unknown strain, likely indica) and 2 days ago I started addings nutes to the water.
    I think I may have overdone the CalMag...

14/12/2018
    Both seedlings showing cotyledons.
    Seed 1 growing 1st set of own leaves, Seed 2 growing up.
    Added nutrients around 10PM.
    Nutrients per 30L water after sprouting: CalMag: 40ml Micro: 10ml Gro: 10ml Bloom: 10ml H2O2: 22ml
    PPM = 732 pH = 7.5 before correction.
    Added 13ml pH down – settled pH = 6.1 (ppm=710)

Forward to today and I think that may have slowed down both seedlings.

If I lose both seedlings, its not a big problem as its 'bag seed'... and have more to start if these are problematic.

Would appreciate your thoughts... and suggestions to correct.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by FlyingDutchPaddy; 12-16-2018, 07:52 AM. Reason: added tags.
    GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan
    8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

I wouldn’t add peroxide unless it’s as a medicated flush. Peroxide should never be used with nutrients although if you have sterile nutrients (non organic purely chemical) then it would only hurt by killing all the rootzone microbes and bacteria oh and it kills the Hydroguard bugs too. Don’t use peroxide except to kill root rot or to sterilize!
    First grow Bagseed and Acid Dough:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...ough-by-ripper

First grow Acid Dough:
    https://growdiaries.com/diaries/2642-first-dwc-grow

Second grow Monster Cropped Acid Dough:
    https://growdiaries.com/diaries/2920...clone-revegged

1000w HPS. (4) 136w LEDs. 48x96x80" flower tent. (1) 136w LED. (6) 13w cfls. 2x2x4' clone tent. DWC. House and Garden nutes: Aqua Flakes + supplements per HG DWC feeding schedule. Hydroguard.

Comment

• FlyingDutchPaddy
      FlyingDutchPaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      hi Tazard, dont have hydroguard... seems to be almost impossible to source in the EU.
      nutes are the GH Flora series micro, gro & bloom.

FlyingDutchPaddy Are you feeding them baby seedlings 710 worth of PPM? That seems like a lot to feed such young plants. Sounds more like something you’d feed a plant going into flower. At that stage you’d want the PPM’s to be around 100-200 or something. Then as they get bigger, you increase the PPM. You said that they have slowed down. How are the roots looking? Have they reached the nutes in the reservoir yet?
    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• FlyingDutchPaddy
      FlyingDutchPaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Cannabliss, thats what the pens are saying, yes...
      just checked what the water out the tap is (source is private well).
      pH = 7.1 & ppm = 305.

pH the water only... is my take on it now...

• Cannabliss
      Cannabliss commented
      Editing a comment
      If 305 is the PPM out of the well water then you may want to consider getting your water from somewhere else. It’s recommended that the water we use to mix our nutes starts at least under 100 PPM. That way when we add the rest of our nutes the final PPM won’t end up so high because that’s really a high PPM for those young seedlings.

So... update... waited a couple of days to see what would happen... had started soaking another 2 seeds just in case I had do it again (haven't sprouted yet).
    Seems that the seedlings have adapted and seem to be growing again.

pH is still 6.1, ppm seems to be around 730.
    2x CDMH 315W lights
    870m3/hr fan

Comment

Some seedlings can do really weird things at their few first days, they will be fine I wouldn’t worry.
      Happy growing

Comment

seedlings/plants are progressing... the smaller one (2) is showing something on its leaves though... found out this evening

spots of some sort...

anyone who knows or wants to speculate what that could be?

thanks all.
        2x CDMH 315W lights
        870m3/hr fan

Comment

day 9 since showing signs of leaves.

took pics this evening with flash only for lighting - no LED influence.

seedling/plant 2 still showing spots on the leaves, seems like they are drying out...

could it be wind burn? i've got a fan blowing on both indirectly, but seedling/plant 1 seems to be doing fine.

need to change water on sunday, will go easier on the nutes then.
          2x CDMH 315W lights
          870m3/hr fan

Comment

Perhaps it may be some leaf burn from to hot a mix???
            Seedlings are slow to show symptoms so I would try to be patient. Too much love will kill them as surely as neglect.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

okay, so... changed water this evening...

pH = 5.6 , lower than the 6.1 before... slightly overdid it on the pH down but just within limits...
              ppm = 499

this time round, 10ml CalMag, 10ml Micro, 10ml Gro and 10ml Bloom.
              2x CDMH 315W lights
              870m3/hr fan

Comment

The second plant looks like it might be fine but I'd still watch for nutrient burn... maybe they are too closet the light? The first plant with the weird leaves does look like it needs some help. But I've had a number of hybrids start out with weird twisted leaves only to have them change to normal after the third or fourth set. Its also a common trait for some strains. Better to have your fan blowing up and through the plants rather than down and with real young ones you just need good air circulation not air blowing directly on the plants- it may be drying the young leaves out faster than they can transport water to cool and feed them. Check out Nebulas tutorial on leaf symptoms if you haven't yet. Aim your fans at a wall where it takes the brunt of the "wind" yet circulates air around the plants. Good growing!
                Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
                liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

Happy new year all!

Update on the two plants... water changed... 30L for the system, CalMag 40ml, Micro 20ml, Gro 20ml, Bloom 20ml.
                  ppm = 790, pH at 6.0

plant 1 doing very nicely, has multiple roots now hanging freeling into the water below.
                  plant 2 still seems fragile, but its also progressing along.

Fan is blowing on the wall, lowest setting, providing a gentle breeze between the two.
                  Also put on the LED light to full power.
                  2x CDMH 315W lights
                  870m3/hr fan

Comment

• ZigZag
                    ZigZag commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Its good to see one is recovering...the other does look like its still having issues....sometimes leaves get twisted and weird looking from too strong nutrients...its god to tell the color with the purple lights. I had one strain once where all three plants looked weird and twisted while the others of a different strain were happy and healthy. I found out later that the weird strain often started out like that but then recovered....they did. Don't give up on her_ there's still hope!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X