Planted my seed too deep - now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted my seed too deep - now what?

Here is my timeline. I germinated three seeds on Dec 9th. They all sprouted in 48hrs and I put them in solo cups. Two are now already out with a set of embryo leaves and first pair ir serrated leaves. The third one is hesitating. I know I planted them one knuckle deep. Maybe the third one was accidentally put deeper, I am not sure. I carefully scraped a little of the top soil and now I can see a tiny portion of the sprout. Gotta say this third seed was slightly sluggish sprouting.

What to do next? Wait with fingers croseed? Soil is nice and moist, temps are around 75deg, rhd around 34.

Thanks for any help.

are all three the same strain? if so might might just be a slower or bad seed. all you can do at this point is wait and see. i wouldn't abort just yet.

Comment

be patient and wait.
      you got these under a humidity dome?
      seedlings need RH @ 70%

Comment

Originally posted by getrag View Post
        Here is my timeline. I germinated three seeds on Dec 9th. They all sprouted in 48hrs and I put them in solo cups. Two are now already out with a set of embryo leaves and first pair ir serrated leaves. The third one is hesitating. I know I planted them one knuckle deep. Maybe the third one was accidentally put deeper, I am not sure. I carefully scraped a little of the top soil and now I can see a tiny portion of the sprout. Gotta say this third seed was slightly sluggish sprouting.

What to do next? Wait with fingers croseed? Soil is nice and moist, temps are around 75deg, rhd around 34.

Thanks for any help.
        Hey Getrag

I just germinated some beans on Dec 1, started with a 6 hour soak, then placed in the paper towel method suggested by Nebula. They took 2 to 3 days after being placed in the towel for 80% germination success.

The seeds germinated about 1/4 to 1/2 inch, you know when the tap root starts to grow out. This is when they were placed in the rapid rooter plug. The plug has about a 1/2 inch hole and I just dropped it in and covered it with a pinch, it then took about 2 days to grow out.

Note it may take a bit longer if you put the seed in upside down and it has to turn around.

The actual time line was from Dec 1 to Dec 6 when they where popping up. Your mileage may differ.

Good Luck.

Comment

Of course I won't be tossing it out just yet. It is just this my first actual grow and I sometimes get a little impatient and I am constantly thinking that maybe each day I will be witnessing some radical changes.

Yes, I opted for two different strains - 2 seeds of Northern Lights and 1 seed of Aurora Indica. Both from Nirvana seeds. The AI was slower to sprout, plus the seeds are almost 30% bigger than NL's. It might also be an unfortunate pick and this AI is a slow grower.

Both NL's are out catching light now. Waiting for the AI. Gotta say one of the NL's was really a champ, from seed to seedling in 5 days! The other one is 2 days behind.

Comment

Oh yes, I immediately put the dome over them. Luckily I keep solo cups on my propagators base to keep things neat. Spray-misted the dome heavily. Vents open or not? How long should I leave the dome on? Until second, maybe third set of leaves?

Thanks!

Comment

can you get a small hygrometer under the dome to monitor RH? adjust the vents to maintain around 70-80%

Comment

I'm going to break ranks here, as you already have a root-

It needs to search out water and keeping it too moist - is just setting it up to dampen off.
                A tap root has the ability to provide what your seedling needs and spraying/doming will hinder this.

I provide about a teaspooon of water once a seed breaks ground and then let it dry out around the stalk (about 4-5 days). Then I water the dripline.

I spray clones to keep alive until roots grow into the soil, but never spray seeds, except to remove helmet after a couple of days topside.
                Last edited by Weed Pharma; 12-15-2018, 09:27 AM.
                It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Mr.furley
                  Mr.furley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agreed.

Removed the dome.

My substrate is coco. New to coco too, so I am just keeping it somehow moist. One day before planting germinated seeds I moistened each container and drained them overnight. Yesterday they seemed a little dry on top and I watered some more, but no runoff. It was like the amount of a shot glass for each plant, only pouring water in circumference and not actually in the middle of the pot.
                Last edited by getrag; 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Hey getrag _ I watered the seedling with a mild solution of 202 EC and Ph of 6.0 from the very beginning. I buffered the Coco prior to planting but I only water the rapid rooter plug for two days with a few cc of solution, then I soaked the surrounding Coco on day 3 and have been watering with run off each time on a every other day. They are now moving to 3 gallon smart pot and have four nodes on about day 10 after they broke ground.

Comment

Hi all, again.

My Aurora Indica is still struggling. I narrowed it down to one possible cause - when I germinated the seeds, this AI was a bit slower and was only showing a tip out of the shell, but not the whole tail. It looks like I have planted it in reverse and it had to turn around. I dug it out carefully and the end of the root with new shoots was actually hook-shaped so it was trying to grow in itself. I carefully repotted it and tried to keep it straight.

See picture for the state she is in for 4 days now. The other two are alive and strong. Growing 1/4 inch in height every day, the leaves are also bigger every day, a second set will soon follow.

What is my best option?

1. Leave as is and toss it if it doesn't grow. Then I am down to two plants altogether.
                    2. Plant a new seed and try to catch up. The other two broke the surface on 13th december (germinated 9th dec). Is that too much of a gap? Maybe I stunt the two NL's for a bit later in veg by topping or FIM-ing?

I don't know if I two plants can yield as much as two. Keep in mind this is a complete rookie indoor grow. Never did this before, only outdoor.

What is your opinion?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Any ideas, anyone?

Comment

My thought would be you stunted its growth even more by messing with it, it may recover and produce fine or it may show being stunted all the way to harvest.

Comment

Let it be, but plant another.
                          You may not have to do anything to "catch up" as they are different strains anyways- and will mature at different rates.

One of the hardest things about growing is knowing when to stop struggling with a specific plant.
                          Many growers with limited plant numbers, by law- sprout a couple and only grow out the strongest ones.
                          It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
                          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
                          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
                          http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
                          https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

• Rwise
                            Rwise commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yes, like the white moscow I have now, I should have excepted a lose and started over. It will not make what it should, but it will make.

• getrag
                            getrag commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking about. Already started germinating another one this morning and by the evening it is already showing the tip. This time I will leave the taproot to grow longer to see the direction it is going.

Looks like the first seed was really somewhat retarded. That seedling is actually pretty good today, it stood up back again on its own, but still hesitates to develop the embryo leaves.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X