Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help figuring out what problem I have here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help figuring out what problem I have here!

Hi guys I have these little random white spots on some of my leaves but not many I have been reading maybe it is thrips...if anybody else has an idea please let me know

Does not look like thrips really....maybe ph related..what's your ph going in plant and coming out of pot run off...?

Comment

• Kyle1116
      Kyle1116 commented
      Editing a comment
      I am putting in ph of 6.0 and it comes out at 6.1

• Kyle1116
      Kyle1116 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also green75 there are a few little shiny spots I've seen around some of the leaves

• Green75
      Green75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn it could be...read up

These babies look like they are a little heat stressed too ?.
    Written Articles:
    Light Metric Systems
    Using Light Efficiently
    The Light Cycle Debate
    Environment Conditions
    Grow Light Technologies
    How To Compare Grow Lights
    To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
    Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Comment

• Kyle1116
      Kyle1116 commented
      Editing a comment
      The temp stays around 80 during the day and 75-77 at night and I'm keeping the humidity at about 50% and I could probably bring the lights up a bit

• DrPhoton
      DrPhoton commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah yea, must be the strain. They just look like they are cupping a little.

• Kyle1116
      Kyle1116 commented
      Editing a comment
      Danofdanger do you think moving the lights up would help a bit? Or would a total room temperature change be necessary?

I agree it looks like it could be nutrient problems from the picture, but if it's bugs you definitely want to eradicate them!

There's more pictures of thrip damage on this page to compare if you want more:

Often you can identify thrips by the little wormy larva on the leaves - they're TINY

Comment

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have tiny black spots on the bottoms of leaves?

Hi desertdan I have been inspecting my plant very closely and I do not see any black spots underneath the leaves.

Comment

O no! Looks like Borg To me! The cupping is due to heat or light stress move lights up. As for the tiny livestock kill them with alc. and water mix 9to1 in sprayer spray under and on top of leaves (doesent harm plants) repete every other day and put some sand down on top of soil this will keep them from crawling around and reproducing ! Lol

Comment

Just from what I can see, and considering you don't see any spots or wormy things, I'd guess it's something to do with watering or drainage, since the leaves are also droopy. When a plant gets "wet feet" it can start getting nutrient deficiencies even if the pH and everything else is going well, because the roots aren't working at 100%.

Can you walk us through how you water your plants? How long is it taking to dry, and (if you've noticed) is the droopiness the worst right before or right after you water?

Comment

Kyle1116, I have found similar 'spots' on my current grow. Using a 40x loupe, they look like little translucent jelly beans, also, there were short little white strands or filaments. I first noticed 'cuts' and 'tares' in some of the leaves. I later found a bug (dead, at least) on one of the leaves, it looked similar to pictures of adult Thrips, but much darker brown in color. I used Azamax (10ml) directly in the reservoir and began a foliar spray on the leaves. I sent pictures to a friend, but He did not know what it was. The adult bug was so small, I could not get a clear image of it on my phone camera even with a 20x lens attachment.
          here's some pics that I did get, if they may be of any help to you. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1061.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	27705Click image for larger version

Name:	Image_1061closeup.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	27706
          Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Originally posted by DW2 View Post
            Kyle1116, I have found similar 'spots' on my current grow. Using a 40x loupe, they look like little translucent jelly beans, also, there were short little white strands or filaments. I first noticed 'cuts' and 'tares' in some of the leaves. I later found a bug (dead, at least) on one of the leaves, it looked similar to pictures of adult Thrips, but much darker brown in color. I used Azamax (10ml) directly in the reservoir and began a foliar spray on the leaves. I sent pictures to a friend, but He did not know what it was. The adult bug was so small, I could not get a clear image of it on my phone camera even with a 20x lens attachment.
            here's some pics that I did get, if they may be of any help to you. [ATTACH=CONFIG]n27705[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n27706[/ATTACH]
            Just curious did the adult bugs look like this? (These are also thrips)

Comment

• DW2
              DW2 commented
              Editing a comment
              The critter that I found had longer legs and slightly larger wings. It was barely visible with the naked eye, I wish that I had not removed it from the leaf with the tweezers (mangled it badly), the photo (at 20x magnification) I took did not show much detail. the color of the bug was close to the second photo.
              The best thing is that I have not seen any more damaged leaves or the 'jellybeans' or the bugs since I started the Azamax foliar spray.

• NebulaHaze
              NebulaHaze commented
              Editing a comment
              Maybe like this one? Thrips get wings in a different stage of life. In any case, sounds like you eradicated them!

I have had thrips before on my raspberries and strawberries. I thought maybe they were aphids because of the clear body. But joulers loup showed a bug just like thrips and nothing else of the like. I used pyrethrum a few times and got most of them. Pyrethrum has been a golden natural pesticide for me. Its helped with aphids, spiders, fruit flies, thrips. So far so good. I also use a spider mite pesticide that seeps into leaves and kills the pests that eat them. Very handy.
            Written Articles:
            Light Metric Systems
            Using Light Efficiently
            The Light Cycle Debate
            Environment Conditions
            Grow Light Technologies
            How To Compare Grow Lights
            To Defoliate Or Not To Defoliate
            Having A Light Source Too Close

Check Out Our Social Media Channels For More Resources:
            Facebook
            Twitter
            Instagram

Comment

Also a little off topic but what size carbon fan would be recommended for a single plant grow?

Comment

• NebulaHaze
                NebulaHaze commented
                Editing a comment
                What are you using as an exhaust fan? I only ask because a you need a relatively big fan to get the best results with a carbon filter

Well Its my first grow ever so I'm not even really using a proper fan set up but I'm just using 2 box fans 1 at the bottom blowing over the canopy and another at the top sucking air out

Comment

What's a good size fan for a filter? I'm only growing a single plant (cornbread)

Comment

Could you post a picture of your setup? Do you have a place to vent out heat?

You have two main options for smell control - a carbon filter with fan, or the use of odor neutralizers (like sprays and other smell-control products).

In order to make a carbon filter most effective, you have to sort of seal your grow space, then set up a strong exhaust fan pointing out with the hot air being vented outside.

A lot of people set them inline with the grow light, to scrub smells and vent heat at the same time:

This is an example of a carbon filter in action

The way they work is they blow air through a bunch of carbon, and that "scrubs" the odors from the air. Without enough windflow, it won't push through enough air to make a difference. That's why a strong enough fan makes them more effective.

If you've got one small plant, you could use a smaller setup like a 4" carbon filter with matching inline ducting fan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-inch-carbon-filter-fan.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	29213

You might be using CFLs or LEDs where you can't connect to the grow light with ducting.

In that case, you can skip the ducting and just clamp the fan to the carbon filter directly and pointed out from your grow space.

If you want, you can even go a step more simple, and just put the carbon fan on top of the fan and just let it run in the room, pulling air through the carbon filter. That's not as effective as using it as part of a closed system, but it'll clear out most of the smell from the air pretty effectively in a small space.

Or if you don't have a lot of smell to fight, you can use something like ONA gel just to clear the air, but it does have a strong "cleaning" smell and you can't keep it too close to your plants or the chemical smell can get on your buds.

But if you have a closed tent, a jar of this stuff outside the tent can help keep the smell from leaking into the house. But they get used up quick, so until you get something more permanent like a carbon filter, you'd have to "re-up" with these about once every 3 weeks.

Ona Gel is strong at removing odors - Just don't let this stuff be too close to your plants for long (for example don't stick it in your tent with them), and replace every 3 weeks or whenever it stops being as effective.

It's also good to have an effective spray if there's an emergency. I like this Ozium spray, it lasts for about 30 minutes and smells like a citrus cleaner. I've found it's really effective at hiding weed smells in a pinch. Just a tiny spritz should do it - a little bit goes a long way!

Those are sort of your main options for smell control - a carbon filter with a fan, or the use of carbon neutralizers like ONA or sprays

Comment

• Kyle1116
                    Kyle1116 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow nebula thank you for all of the info, much appreciated man.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X