Drying and curing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying and curing

So how important is it to dry and cure your buds in the dark? I'm asking because I'm limited on space and am leaving one plant go for another week. I planned on drying in the same room as I grew in. Will drying with my light on seriously affect the quality of the finished product? I could probably find some space in a closet to hang my drying racks but it would be a pain in the ass. Thanks for the advise in advance

DIm light is OK- but grow lights combined with heat will adversely effect your final product.
    It's all bullshit - until you smoke it!

KISS @ Dry/Cure:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-kiss-dry-cure

Staged Harvest:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...e-in-the-wings

Grow Journals:

#3, Window Sill Grow - auto:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...nic-soil-24-7g

#4, KISS grow- Girl Scout Cookies- auto:
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...ies-autoflower

Comment

Heat is a killer. I made the mistake of storing in a shed in the summer and destroyed a few jars. Do you have a basement or a garage? Just place the jars in a cardboard box that you can close, and keep it cool.

Comment

I’ve tried something a bit different and it may help u. I cut my buds into golfball size and place in paper shopping bags, I just coat the bottom of the bag and close it with a closepin. Place in cool place and shake daily, it should b ready to jar in 5-7 days depending on humidity 😎 I don’t even check for mold anymore!

Comment

That sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
            D.A.A.S.69 commented
            Editing a comment
            SirSmksAlot. It's hard to beat drying in large brown grocery bags, imo.
            I also dry mine in the same room I'm growing in, But they are in the bags, and get no light either.
            But if my plants are flowering, I try to keep my humidity pretty low, like 30-40percent.
            And while the buds that I'm drying, in the same room, if the humidity is 30percent it only takes, 4days, in my neck of the woods, and thats to fast, imo, for my buds to be dry enough, for jars, they usually are like 68,-69 percent, when i put them in jars, then i just burp them, a time or two everyday, slowly until they get to 61-63 percent, then thats it..
            But what I do to slow down the drying process, is I put them in jars or airtight Tupperware containers, a day or two early, it takes alot more work that way, because you have to burp them alot more often, you do not want mold, that's for sure. I've never had mold either, But it does slow down the drying process, and that's what you want is a long, slow dry, imo.
            After you dry them properly in brown bags, your smoke smells great, and tastes great too. It tastes just as well if not better, than if they have been in jars 2-3weeks curing.imo
            I also wet trim and cut them up into golf ball size nugs before they go in the brown bags, too.
            I hope this helps you some.
            But good luck, with whatever, you decide to do, HappyGrowing

Thanks for the reply D. A. A. S. 69. I was able to use my drying rack in the spare bathroom. I still have one girl growing so I'm going to give the paper bag method a shot. That way I can compare the results.

Comment

Funny thing....when D.A.A.S.69 told me this, I ran out a picked up 50 brown paper supermarket bags and a box of those paper binder spring clips. I’m hanging the bags on the rack where I was going to hang the cuttings. I’ll post this picture when I’m done ... it’s a folding chrome garment rack and the top bar has a 12" pull out extension. Should hold all 50 bags in one spot. Finally came into use....it’s been hanging around in the way for 10+ years.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
              D.A.A.S.69 commented
              Editing a comment
              Farmall I always just keep my bags on the floor, by hanging them, you might want to check on them a little early, just to make sure they don't dry to fast, hanging like your doing, might work like normal, but i dont know.
              All I know is ,you do not want to dry them to fast, that's bad.
              Is your humidity stable, most of the time?
              If it close to 50percent? If it is, it's gonna take 6days, to be ready for the bags.
              Like I said you can slow it down, by jarring a day or two early, causes more work, by having to burp alot more often, but it does slows down the drying process, and that's what you want, is slow drying

We used to put the big naked stems in bags too, to help slow down the process, I still save the big stems now, just in case, but don't put them in the bags anymore ,because our humidity is stable ,until a storm brews up,lol
              HappyGrowing

D.A.A.S.69
            Humidity is 51-53% and temp is near 68 drops at night to about 65. I have several AMAZING rock hard stems, had to use the big cutter. No wonder they wanted to make stronger rope... that shit is like Kevlar
            pm sent

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X