Suggestions for weight support - Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for weight support - Hydro

Being a first-time hydro grower I'm learning as I go. And did my best to read and research as much as possible before I started. However I did not receive enough warnings regarding the future weight of the plants and the problems this might cause. Other than training methods later on such as using ties etc.

Plant stage - starting to flower.

So admittedly with my original set-up I unfortunately and stupidly did not plan in advance for some kind of frame around my reservoir to be able to tie/attach string etc later on.

Problem no 1:
    The stems are incredibly thin at the bottom and today one plant toppled over almost taking the others with her. Fortunately the stem did not snap at the bottom. I've ended up suspending it with string from above, hanging from the frame from which my lamps are hanging as the only current solution.

I've learnt from this that having some kind of mesh from the start would have been ideal.

However this is now not possible except if I build a mesh through the plants which will be incredibly difficult, especially since they are now very sensitive to movement and touch due to their thin stems. And due to space constraints too. I've suspended them all with string from above for now.

When the colas start forming later this will of course add to the weight and compound the problem.

Problem 2:
    Draining the reservoir. I cannot lift the lid anymore for the same reasons as above. Sensitivity and very fragile thin stems. I did not build in a draining hole and plug. But this I can still do fortunately, except that the setup is at ground level which will making it drain into something very hard. I also cannot find a pump anywhere where I live to pump the water out.

Any suggestions from experienced growers will be much appreciated.

The stems should be twice as thick as soil ones so theres somthing a miss there.No fan?Water level?For supports you can add sticks to the outside of bucket ,wrap tape around the whole thing.Then add something between the the two poles to stiffen it up.Good luck.
    Last edited by Flyfisher; 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
      MaxHeadroom1970 commented
      Editing a comment
      Flyfisher - you raise a very good point regarding the stem thickness. I've wracked my brain about this. Did everything by the book and all is going very well otherwise.. i.e. correct nutrients at correct stage,light fan not direct on plants yes, water level just below pots, airpump supplying plenty bubbles, water change once a week, (edit: correct pH levels) etc. The plants are in very good condition otherwise.

One possibility is the local strain which was bagseed unfortunately since legislation around seedbanks in South Africa is still unclear there. Cannabis and growing is now decriminalized for private use but selling or purchasing cannabis and seeds still illegal. (Catch 22)

Your suggestion is a (edit: VERY) good one thanks.
      Last edited by MaxHeadroom1970; 12-06-2018, 01:10 AM.

Howdy MaxHeadroom1970, I am on my eighth hydroponic grow and I have been using the plant support Yo-Yos to keep my girls 'upright'. First, they work very well and secondly, they are inexpensive. All that is required is a place to hang them (I use large brass cup hooks in the light support 2x4).
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Hi DW2 and thanks. I will have same reply for you and "Potted" below.

My problem is I live a bit secluded and in South Africa as a developing country it is very difficult to get hold of certain things unlike in the USA or Europe where anything is easily available with a simple drive down to the hardware store or using Amazon. I could not find Yo-Yos or a simple pump to drain the water. Using Amazon is not cost effective since postage costs more than the product and we are hit with an international tax ontop of it all. Another reason I've built my entire setup myself.

But if all else fails. Thanks.

Edit: as stated I have tied them to string which hangs from above from the frame I use for lights. It is the same principle but not ideal of course since the string is not flexible and may damage the plants and do not adjust to their growth.
      Last edited by MaxHeadroom1970; 12-05-2018, 11:44 PM.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      @MaxHeadroom, I understand your problem now. I might suggest instead of just tying strings to the plants, use a pulley (or eye hook) to allow the string to move, attach a weight to the other end to allow a little 'give'. You will need a pill bottle or some sort of container, to allow weight to be added or removed as necessary to give the proper support. Or even, One could use several rubber bands (I do not know if the Afrikaners call them 'elastics' like the English do) to provide some 'spring' to the support (and all puns are intended! LOL!).

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - that is a very interesting scientific idea. Although a bit tricky. I also find it very funny that out of the many cultures living here in SA that you correctly guessed I'm an Afrikaner haha! And yes we use both terms.

It would help if you could provide pictures.

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Will do as soon as my lights come on again. Thanks.

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Done

MaxHeadroom1970 For problem #2 you may want to invest in a small siphoning pump similar to the one below. Once my plants get pretty heavy, lifting the bucket lid to change nutes becomes pretty tedious. So what I do is I just lift the lid enough to fit the siphon hose and pump out the old nutes, then just either pump in the new nutes or feed them slowly using some kind of funnel.
    Cannabliss - Grow The Bliss
    White Widow Grow Journal

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info mate. I've checked out the local pet store but will try a few others too.

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Finally found a pump

• Cannabliss
      Cannabliss commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! It should make changing your nutes easier. Happy growing.

Amazon,.....battery’s not included....electric syphin pump, cheep!

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
      Editing a comment
      Hi Potted and thanks also. Same reply as for "DW2" above: My problem is I live a bit secluded and in South Africa as a developing country it is very difficult to get hold of certain things unlike in the USA or Europe where anything is easily available with a simple drive down to the hardware store or using Amazon. I could not find Yo-Yos or a simple pump to drain the water. Using Amazon is not cost effective since postage costs more than the product and we are hit with an international tax ontop of it all. Another reason I've built my entire setup myself.
      I will keep searching though.

NOTES ON PICS:
    1. First shows very thin stems. Plant on right had some nutrient burn in beginning but immediately fixed and no more of that.
    2. Sea-of-green setup due to space. Lights calculated at minimum lumens x4 plants. Yes light may have affected this.
    3. I covered the pots with foil to minimize light getting into reservoir - HOWEVER I have a theory that this may have affected the thickness of the stems growing below the foil???
    4. The plants kept growing very tall for almost 2 weeks after I switched to flower stage. Too tall for my liking in fact.
    5. The surfboard only helps supporting my tent lol

Comment

Max, you don't have anywhere enough light to support flower. That's why your plants are spindly-fix that and everything else will follow.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
        Editing a comment
        Hi gbauto - I've always suspected that yet did calculate my lights on the minimum lumens for roughly 4 plants. I have added 2 more to the setup at the highest lumens and wattage I could find.

Edit: Purely out of interest. I worked on the minimum lumens due to the incredibly high price of electricity in SA, some of the highest in the world (plus we are expecting another 15 to 20% increase again). Growing your own weed for personal use may be legal now, but because weed is so readily available in large quantities here, it is MUCH cheaper to just buy on the street. But this is of course illegal. And that is only electricity. I have not even calculated the cost of decent nutrients in yet, nutrients which has to be imported. The 24/24 light stage almost bankrupted me lol.
        Last edited by MaxHeadroom1970; 12-07-2018, 02:38 AM.

Yes I would get alot more cfls in there if that's all you have access too.

Comment

• MaxHeadroom1970
        Editing a comment
        Hi Redwasp and thanks also. Same reply as for "Gbauto" above.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X